Diesel fuel #2

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK let’s get you out of this state of confusion. You just need a string of the relevant keywords to put into a search engine so you can gain a clearer understanding of the issues regarding the Mercedes and diesel fuels. Those keywords are “DEF diesel Mercedes sprinter warnings”
I was confused by a couple gas station attendants, who probably weren't knowledgeable about petrochemical engineering, diesel mechanics, etc. And the information on the gas pumps I saw doesn't make it very clear, either. I think I got this now. I just wanted to be sure I was pumping the "right" type of diesel. Thanks everyone!

No seriously I looked up 'unthaw' and that word has been in recorded use for 400 years!....
You'd be surprised how often that happens. I never knew about "unthaw," but I've seen that same thing happen a ton of times. Just because something sounds weird to me doesn't mean it's wrong...
We are so lucky we got to pick this language up naturally and didn't have to learn it in school, because it can make your head explode.

I was told Diesel #2? (I think I am remembering the name of the fuel accurately) is the right fuel for a 2022 Sprinter. What's the correct fuel? I went to a Chevron in northern Nevada and they said they didn't have it. I went to a Maverick station and they had it. If this is the correct fuel, is it generally available or do I have to go to truck stops to find it?
#2 is what you’ll almost always get at the pump. If it’s number 1 or a mix of 1 and #2 it’ll say. When filling the main thing is to know that it’s taxed for road, not dyed and a certified pump. Best not to get fuel when they are filling tanks or tanks are getting low at the place your filling from.
From time to time you need to empty your water separator. Usually there is a light for that. But if running rough at all you should know how to and empty it. Fuel filters are pricey at best. But should be changed frequently. Look what your manual might require. But 20,000 miles is max for me. 643,000 miles on current truck. Maintenance is so very important… don’t go cheap on filters oil, fuel or otherwise…
I’m a Wix guy myself… bio fuel is not a good thing. It’ll drop your mileage. California of all places I could buy 100% petroleum and I got the best performance. Didn’t get near the black smoke with that.
I wouldn’t fuel with the big trucks… they pay more for crappier fuel. I always thought it would be better and maybe is for trucks. But for whatever reason I found it better to get it in the rv or auto lanes…
#1 fuel is not that terrible. But more expensive and you’ll get less mileage. It will not gel like #2. At home in the cold we’ll mix 1+2 depending how cold it is.
I’ve said enough…

I wouldn’t fuel with the big trucks… they pay more for crappier fuel.

At most mid-size truck stops the volume of diesel fuel delivered by large tankers and then pumped into vehicles, per day, can easily exceed 10,000 gallons....And triple or quadruple that at the really large, busy truck stops. A busy truck stop will always have fresh, recently refined fuel, compared to a small, rural, independent gas station, where the diesel fuel might be relatively stagnant and could be sitting in those underground tanks for days or maybe even weeks!

In most cases the diesel pumps on the truck lanes and the diesel pumps (or combo pumps) on the RV/AUTO lanes are pulling fuel from the same underground tanks, but the nozzle sizes are different depending on which pump you are using.

The main difference is that there might be a sign on the pump, or overhead on the canopy, over one or two lanes, that says 'Auto Diesel' and these will normally have a smaller nozzle and a normal flow pump (about 10 gallons per minute) which is much easier to control when dispensing diesel into normal passenger vehicles, such as your average VW Passat or Dodge Diesel Dually or a Mercedes Benz Sprinter.

The truck lane diesel pumps almost always have a larger, much heavier, hi-flow nozzle (about 60 gallons per minute) that will flow a large amount of fuel in a hurry, typically 200-300 gallons in just a few minutes, which is fine for semi trucks, but very difficult to manage if you are trying to refill a normal passenger vehicle.

In my early days of trucking I was always advised to avoid fueling at a truck stop when you see the fuel tanker is dispensing fuel into the underground tanks. The thought was that in those days, the underground steel tanks were so full of rust and crud that the delivery would stir up the debris...and since you are pumping fuel into your truck at the same time, some of that debris is bound to end up in your fuel tanks!

But since almost all recent underground steel fuel storage tanks are lined with poly, or resin, or some other composite, and most dispensing pumps now have 2 or three inline filters, the chances of getting contaminated fuel thru any of the pumps is minimal.

I need to go buy a 1/2 gallon of #1 diesel tomorrow. I promise that I will stay on my side of the truck stop 🤪

Maki, I know it costs twice as much, but 1-K kerosene (heater fuel) will burn much cleaner in any diesel fueled heater than on-road diesel which has a variety of additives.

But you don't want to buy kerosene from a fuel vendor, sometimes the quality, even with 'blocked pumps' is not very good, with contaminants including water the main problem.

1-K kerosene (heater fuel) is sold in sealed 1 gallon and 2.5 gallon jugs, and 5 gallon cans at places like Tractor Supply and Home Depot, and is generally very high quality. It's not cheap but I know you don't use very much of the stuff in your particular situation. In my case, I make my own blend by using 50:50 1-K kero and farm diesel (also called off-road diesel). This blending reduces the cost of running my 'diesel heater' and kerosene lamps.

Yes, I know you didn't ask for advice! :ninja: In that case, maybe other readers will find 1-K kero works for them.

The things you learn here!
At most mid-size truck stops the volume of diesel fuel delivered by large tankers and then pumped into vehicles, per day, can easily exceed 10,000 gallons....And triple or quadruple that at the really large, busy truck stops. A busy truck stop will always have fresh, recently refined fuel, compared to a small, rural, independent gas station, where the diesel fuel might be relatively stagnant and could be sitting in those underground tanks for days or maybe even weeks!

In most cases the diesel pumps on the truck lanes and the diesel pumps (or combo pumps) on the RV/AUTO lanes are pulling fuel from the same underground tanks, but the nozzle sizes are different depending on which pump you are using.

The main difference is that there might be a sign on the pump, or overhead on the canopy, over one or two lanes, that says 'Auto Diesel' and these will normally have a smaller nozzle and a normal flow pump (about 10 gallons per minute) which is much easier to control when dispensing diesel into normal passenger vehicles, such as your average VW Passat or Dodge Diesel Dually or a Mercedes Benz Sprinter.

The truck lane diesel pumps almost always have a larger, much heavier, hi-flow nozzle (about 60 gallons per minute) that will flow a large amount of fuel in a hurry, typically 200-300 gallons in just a few minutes, which is fine for semi trucks, but very difficult to manage if you are trying to refill a normal passenger vehicle.

In my early days of trucking I was always advised to avoid fueling at a truck stop when you see the fuel tanker is dispensing fuel into the underground tanks. The thought was that in those days, the underground steel tanks were so full of rust and crud that the delivery would stir up the debris...and since you are pumping fuel into your truck at the same time, some of that debris is bound to end up in your fuel tanks!

But since almost all recent underground steel fuel storage tanks are lined with poly, or resin, or some other composite, and most dispensing pumps now have 2 or three inline filters, the chances of getting contaminated fuel thru any of the pumps is minimal.
That’s why I figured pumping in the truck lanes would be the way to go. But I always had poorer performance and mileage. I don’t know if it’s the quality of diesel, the amount of bio products in it. But filling up at the auto lanes I got about two miles per gallon better. One reason why I think it’s the amount of bio is in California I was able to buy 100% petroleum diesel for a few cents more and my mileage increased a lot! I have a 99 with the 7.3… 644,000 miles and going strong. I can get over 20 miles per gallon not pulling a load if it’s straight fuel with no bio and 16 or 17 with bio fuels. So that’s my experience… I used it hauling coast to coast canoes and kayaks on a 30’ trailer and a bumper to bumper rack on my truck with two levels. That’s my experience… and I got as much water in my separator in the high volume truck stops as anywhere. I can only report with my experience… and always always carry extra fuel filters… and changed them at 25,000 miles average. I was not a Loves or TA frequent flyer… my whole point to the Op was most road diesel is #2… winter blends will mix #1 or straight #1 and watch for irregular signs of possible fuel situations that your rig runs better or worse on… what we perceive as better or worse sometimes differ from other’s experiences such as regular vehicles vs semis. We burnt some nasty diesel in our fire trucks. But I would have no way of knowing what the performance factor was. Cause we’re running to a scene and while pumping that engine is working hard when multiple hoses running. I changed those fuel filters about every six months. As close to a semi as I ever maintained…

Yep...we all have different experiences. And I was offering some relevant information to the conversation.

And yes, biodiesel can certainly vary in quality and sometimes the fuel will clog the filters.

I'm not saying biodesel will wreck a diesel engine, but when we have a choice, I think the better option (for most of us) is to fill with normal petrodiesel.

An interesting article by Car and Driver:

https://www.caranddriver.com/research/a31883731/biodiesel-vs-diesel/

A few days ago I was filling up (gasoline) in the auto lanes and noticed the combo pump had a notice about their biodiesel: It's a blend containing between 5% and 20% so this tells me the retailer is just ordering whatever is cheapest and as long as it's in that range, the tanker fills up the underground tanks and you get whatever the blend ratio is that day.

But, getting back to the OP post, and assuming the Sprinter is OK with B20, (the OP should check the owners manual of course) this is the functional equivalent of number 2 ULSD diesel for on-road use.

IMG_20240428_080952.jpg.IMG_20240428_080938.jpg

Last edited:
Back when I was driving GMC coaches, 1958 4104's and later brand new 4905's, we fueled only with Kerosene aka Diesel #1. I needed to get fueled up in a remote part of Pennsy and found a rural heating supplier with Kerosene. I started pumping, but did not realize that the pump was super fast, the gallons were going by like tenths. Next thing I knew I had 104 gallons in the tank. Only did that one time.