Practical Self Defense For Everyone (including you)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carry an alluminium baseball bat behind the passenger seat in a tube, that can easily be accessed do you think that would be considered a weapon or a piece of sports equipment.

If you are in a location where such items could be an issue it will almost certainly be an issue. Now, if you had a small container of baseballs and a glove next to it with a picture of the setup ...

flying kurbmaster said:
I carry an alluminium baseball bat behind the passenger seat in a tube, that can easily be accessed do you think that would be considered a weapon or a piece of sports equipment.

If I were in New Jersey, I wouldn't carry a pointy-handled paint brush in my back pocket. I'm not exaggerating for a joke; some places are quite harsh with what you are allowed to carry. I'm not saying New Jersey banned pointy-handled paint brushes, but if a NJ cop saw that sticking out of your back pocket, that is inviting trouble.

Where I live you can have just about anything you want as long as you aren't hurting anyone. I have an axe handle. I don't have a real reason to have it, but it might come in handy some day in some unusual way. Doesn't take up much room, so it stays.

Location is the big issue. It's why I suggested only two items and ones with legit uses. The reason I suggest taking a picture is so you can show the "weapon" is simply a part of your vehicle safety kit or sporting goods. - Someone holding a baseball bat is dangerous. Someone holding a baseball bat, baseball glove, and a baseball is just into sports. - See what I mean?

That might create the opposite problem. Like being accused of a robbery and happening to have a random picture of you next to an official clock at the exact time of the robbery. It looks odd.

Good practical tips Gideon33w, Situational awareness may be most important. The reality is the majority, even if they had the ability to use the defenses listed would fail to deploy in time. The other side of the coin is the odds are against you ever having an attack on your person as G33w describes. That is not to say that thought shouldn't be given to safety. Owning tools isn't the same as having the ability and mental mindset to use them.

Absolutely correct. 

Sadly, there is nothing I can do via the internet to teach situational awareness. I can only hope the readers keep in mind that our living arrangements necessitate minding your surroundings.

The truth about mindset is a bit of a downer. Many people simply lock-up in a panic scenario. I cant help that either :-/

But, if a single person benefits from the ideas written I'd call it worth my time to write it. 

Maybe I can do a future RTR class or something.

You mean a loop at the handle of a club like device? If that's the case then you should know that you should NEVER put it around your wrist. Put your thumb through it for added control and some ability to retain it if you like but putting it around your wrist means that if your club is grabbed and yanked you're screwed.

I did Army QRF (quick reaction force) training and we received a demo on exactly that problem. If your wrist is in the loop and the club is grabbed it is A LOT harder to let go than you'd think. In the mean time you're pulled off balance and lose that arm for defense. Putting your thumb in the loop helps for general retention but negates that issue. That's why I suggest that the average person is best served by just cutting off the loop entirely (so you can't make the mistake at all).

My favorite version of the "tire checker" is a standard sharpening steel. Nice weight, hard, pointed on the end, . . . I always have one in a live-in rig.

Because I often walk around strange cities at night, and because I don't carry any weapons in the van without knowing all state laws, I made my own "tire checker"... Out of steel flat stock. It slips into my pack in a sheath made of old seat belt. If I'm somewhere I don't want it to be construed as a weapon due to the 5-50 cord handle, digging out one end of the wrap and pulling will unravel and just toss the steel.

Attachments

• IMG_20160101_222650.jpg
    IMG_20160101_222650.jpg
    682.5 KB · Views: 24
For the traveler/camper that is using their own vehicle I'd recommend a Taser stun gun with light.
Stun Gun and flash light.jpg
For close quarters, entering or exiting, or inside your vehicle. If someone breaks in, you only need your flashlight and it packs a punch when the bad guy grabs you. A club isn't going to do you much good inside a Van. Stun Guns are ideal for close quarters and no-one will question you carrying a flashlight into or out of your vehicle.
These don't shoot out barbed hooks like the ones law enforcement uses. The version I have and always carry have two metal contacts on the end. (See photo)
Amazon carries several versions, search there for "Stun Gun".

Once charged up, mine last for months before I need to recharge, about 2 hrs., then good to go. I have two, one inside, Velcro to the side of my seat and the other one I carry in my pocket and use as my flashlight after dark.

Attachments

• Stun Gun and flash light.jpg
    Stun Gun and flash light.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 8
Follow up re: TASERS . . .

The Handgun Law site:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Has info on TASER laws in each state.  You have to scroll way, way down on each state page.  It may be listed as "Electric Weapons" or as "Electric Control Devices" .

You should note that even if there is no state law banning or regulating their use, there may be LOCAL ordinances that do so.  For example, Annapolis and Baltimore both ban them outright, even though the State of Maryland does not.

BTW, the same page will also have info on knife laws, pepper spray laws, etc.

There is usually also a section on RV/Car carry.

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
There's a misconception that TASERS, being non-lethal, are legal in all states.  Totally not true. 

Regards
John

I agree John, each state and local jurisdiction may and probably does have their own rules on stun guns.

However, If I'm in a battle that someone else has brought to me, then I have no choice but to get all aggressive and very, very quickly. Each situation will be different and I would never say one solution is best for everyone in every location. I will say that if I'm attact inside my vehicle, I may be given some latitude in a court of law.

If you are close enough to use a stun gun you will likely find out first hand that if the person you are stunning touches you then you get whacked too.

Gideon33w said:
If you are close enough to use a stun gun you will likely find out first hand that if the person you are stunning touches you then you get whacked too.

That doesn't actually work that way...