[split] WOMEN ONLY!!! Traveling across TX

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosiemartinez1211

Reaction score
Sure am glad I read this. I've been feeling very vulnerable about hitting the road alone.
My sister and I bought a pop-up camper together since it was our plan to become nomads together.
Our plan was to leave San Antonio, TX just after Christmas and head to the WRTR/RTR.

But what happens? She falls and dislocates and fractures her shoulder!
Now she needs to stay here to heal.

That means I either:
1) Don't hit the road until she heals which can be a couple of months, or
2) Go it alone.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm scared!!!!
I've never really taken a road trip by myself, much less towing a camper.

If I can muster up the courage to go it alone, I'll probably stay in hotels until I get to Bouse.
Problem with that is I know cars can be broken into at hotels when it's obvious one is traveling.
If I go to a campground do I really wanna go thru the whole set-up camp thing?
Can I maybe just open the bunk over the tongue? I don't know. I'm so confused.

Wondering, I feel your pain! The rest of you Ladies provide great words of wisdom.
Guess I'll just have to get Prayed Up.

Thanks for listening!!

Yet, my favorite saying

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”― Henry Ford

Is really hitting home right now.

Sorry to hear your sister can't go with you.

Everyone at a hotel is known to be traveling so why would a thief steal from you rather than others? I've stayed at a lot of hotels and never had my car broken into.

I'm not sure what a pop-up camper is. Do you mean a trailer, or a van with a roof that pops up? I think with a trailer it would be hard to pull into most hotel parking lots.

Once you get onto the road, you'll most likely start feeling more comfortable with it. Chart all the Walmarts that allow overnighters, and rest areas, and other places you might sleep at between your home and your destination.

Do you have a good emergency fund?

If you pull into a place and feel uncomfortable, you can leave or stay inside your car, whichever feels right to you.

Travelers stay safe most of the time. Scary incidents are rare.

One more thing - it might be a good idea to be parked for the night before sunset. Finding a place to sleep after dark can be more challenging.

When I traveled in a car (and slept in the car) from Rockport, TX to North Idaho in 2017 I slept most nights at truck stops. I felt safe there.

I suggest taking a deep breath and giving it a shot.

Your sister is temporarily sidelined, but that shouldn’t necessarily stop you. It would be nice to have someone along to share all the newbie angst, but ultimately we need to be prepared to go it alone and save ourselves when necessary, because we never know when that may become our reality.

You’ve already got the pop up, so maybe go to a nearby campground and practice deploying it and using it for a night or two.

I agree with getting in a campsite on travel days during daylight hours, get set up, fix yourself some dinner, have a glass of wine, relax a bit.

It will take you a few days to get to the group, but you can do that, and then will have lots of friendly and experienced others to answer questions and help you along.

Don’t pull the plug, is my suggestion. You can do this.

Rosie is it possible to sleep in your car on the trip out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes sleeping in my small SUV is a viable option. Which is the way I'm leaning right now.
Will definately stop for the day before dark.
My heart says "Just do it" swoosh
Just gotta get my head straight.

travelaround said:
I'm not sure what a pop-up camper is. Do you mean a trailer, or a van with a roof that pops up? I think with a trailer it would be hard to pull into most hotel parking lots.

Here's a pic of my pop-up. It's very secured when closed. I was more worried about people taking my clothes out of my car.
But yeah, everyone's travelling and staying at hotels. Valid point.

Attachments

• camper open.jpg
    camper open.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 12
  • camper closed.jpg
    camper closed.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 10
Personally, I think you would be more comfortable in many ways sleeping in your pop up in a campground, rather than in your vehicle anywhere.

You would also have access to bathroom facilities and a shower, and likely other campers nearby if you had any questions.

We were all new once.

Another thought: your sister, your future travel partner, broke her shoulder. I'm sure she needs help. Can you spend some time near her while she's healing, and help her out? I'm sure you'd appreciate it if the shoe was on the other foot.

The Dire Wolfess

rosemartinez, what route are you taking through TX? Interstates? 10 or 20? Or secondary highways. Texas has rest area that are safety zones with 24 hour security. I just came through TX on 10 and felt completely secure at the rest areas and crqcker barrels I stayed at.
TX safe rest areas (list and map)
https://www.txdot.gov/driver/travel/rest-areas-map.html

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/division/maintenance/sra-locations.html

Always check at cracker barrel to make sure it's ok to overnight

Oops! I just realized we've hijacked wondering's thread.

My apologies.

Now if I can remember how to split t he hijacking posts and move them to their own thread... Working on it

Moxadox said:
Another thought: your sister, your future travel partner, broke her shoulder.  I'm sure she needs help.  Can you spend some time near her while she's healing, and help her out?  I'm sure you'd appreciate it if the shoe was on the other foot.

The Dire Wolfess

She has plenty of help so has said she doesn't want to hold me back.

cyndi said:
rosemartinez, what route are you taking through TX?

I10W is my planned route. When I check the different campsite apps I couldn't find anything that I thought seemed to be ok in the remote areas prior to El Paso.

I'm not familiar with safe zones. I'll check the links, thanks.

The AllStays app, my favorite, shows private campgrounds spread out all along I10.

Try not to get too hung up on finding something that is “perfect”, because that can be an exercise in frustration, in my experience.

It is extremely unlikely that any are unsafe, but there may be varying degrees of attractiveness and amenities, just pick something and make it your destination.

One of the advantages to carrying your home with you, is when you go inside you are “home” wherever you are.

This will get easier, I promise you. :)

WanderingRose said:
The AllStays app, my favorite, shows private campgrounds spread out all along I10.

Try not to get too hung up on finding something that is “perfect”, because that can be an exercise in frustration, in my experience.

Yes, it can become overwhelming. But the nice thing is I can easily drive away.

I have stayed in campgrounds in all of the lower 48, some the high end, others older trailer parks with empty spaces lent to overnight travelers, and everything in between.

Never felt unsafe, nor was accosted or otherwise intimidated, and I have now traveled almost 5 years by myself. Most people, from all walks of life, mean you know harm, is the truth.

Most places are friendly, others a little chilly to outsiders, but when one is simply passing thru it really makes little difference.

And, although we’re encouraging you to take the leap, certainly if you are truly fearful of doing this on your own...don’t.

It will all be there once your sister is healed and can go with you.