Buyers remorse..Seeking some guidance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because you still have maintenance and fuel costs that will be higher as you will be most likely be having to travel more, and that is just one of the costs you will need to consider. With your limited income you need to save every penny you can for those unexpected expenses.

Because you still have maintenance and fuel costs that will be higher as you will be most likely be having to travel more, and that is just one of the costs you will need to consider. With your limited income you need to save every penny you can for those unexpected expenses.

Appreciate it bullfrog,

Ford called and I mentioned chevy was open to buying the silverado back

Ford has a 2009 for f150 going for 15k and a 2019 f150 xls going for 18k

Both roughly have 120-130k miles on them

Would purchasing this cash assuming the silverado truck is able to be sold back to chevy [I was told only thing that won't be refunded is 5k in sales tax.We bought it for 38k an after a bunch of warranty,taxes it came to 57k

The chevy guy who spoke to my dad said it may even sell for 40 or 42k with the trail boss market value and earn a couple grand profit

Selling chevy and looking at cheap Fordf150 to potentially eliminate car loans and focus remainder on RV?

Thank you

An F150 is a half ton truck that doesn't have upgraded brakes, cooling, and suspension for towing something large. Even with a tow package, a large trailer will put it at the edge of it's ability to tow safely.

If you are certain you want to tow a trailer, I would seriously consider at least an f250 or 2500 with a tow package. And your probably be well advised to go with an f350 or 3500 1 ton truck. It'll tow your trailer easier, and with less wear than a half ton.

Just remember all full sized trucks are not equal. Especially when it comes to towing. Please keep that in mind. Otherwise you're setting yourself up for other issues.

Just so you know most people end up with more stuff and weight than they planned, especially people that live full time in RVs.

And, davsey, you have been told here several times in various threads, if I recall correctly, that an F150 is not powerful enough for what you want to tow, a trailer with a bathroom big enough to suit your wife.

Yet this is what you say you are currently looking at.

And you have not yet answered the question as to whether this truck you’ve just bought and are soliciting input on offloading is even yours to now sell, as in your name is on the loan, and/or whether your wife is willing to sell.

I wonder, too, if you know what campgrounds cost, how to maintain and care for an RV, whether the off gassing of a new RV and the chemicals needed to treat particularly the black tank, which must be emptied, will be problematic for you and your wife, etc.

It would seem that you need to sell the new truck, if you can, see what you have left, take the vehicle recommendations given to you here repeatedly and go from there.

One thing at a time, and, again, as you seem determined to shoot yourself in the foot, some professional guidance in decision making and life planning.

https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/what-are-year-make-model-trucks-to-get-started.48692/#post-592000
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/...m-trks-r-is-this-a-rip-off.48411/#post-591949
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/...tart-feature-are-they-safe.48680/#post-591945
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/need-help-planning-to-buy-truck-and-rv.48329/#post-590074

Last edited:
And, davsey, you have been told here several times in various threads, if I recall correctly, that an F150 is not powerful enough for what you want to tow, a trailer with a bathroom big enough to suit your wife.

Yet this is what you say you are currently looking at.

And you have not yet answered the question as to whether this truck you’ve just bought and are soliciting input on offloading is even yours to now sell, as in your name is on the loan, and/or whether your wife is willing to sell.

I wonder, too, if you know what campgrounds cost, how to maintain and care for an RV, whether the off gassing of a new RV and the chemicals needed to treat particularly the black tank, which must be emptied, will be problematic for you and your wife, etc.

It would seem that you need to sell the new truck, if you can, see what you have left, take the vehicle recommendations given to you here repeatedly and go from there.

One thing at a time, and, again, as you seem determined to shoot yourself in the foot, some professional guidance in decision making and life planning.

https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/what-are-year-make-model-trucks-to-get-started.48692/#post-592000
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/...m-trks-r-is-this-a-rip-off.48411/#post-591949
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/...tart-feature-are-they-safe.48680/#post-591945
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/need-help-planning-to-buy-truck-and-rv.48329/#post-590074

Good morning rose,

Yes both of us are on the vehicle

She's open to selling as well

Campground fees yes worth looking into

It would be a learning process to maintain an RV.Challenging and only way to know is try it out

I wish there were homes built out of stone in the US where materials such as dry walling is just gonna be prone to trouble ..

I need to be in good air for my immune system and focus on getting better physically

Thank you

It would be a learning process to maintain an RV.Challenging and only way to know is try it out
Might rent something and see how that works out for you and your wife, davsey, before you pay out cash for something you might have to quickly unload.

Minus leaks, which happen, there shouldn’t be mold in a trailer, but may be other elements you could be sensitive to.

Unlike in a sticks & bricks, tanks in an RV have to be sanitized periodically and emptied regularly, which will also expose you to fumes of various sorts.

Then there is insurance on a truck plus a trailer, also maintenance and upkeep on each, in addition to fuel and campground costs.

On your very limited, consistent incomes.

I think WanderingRoses's recommendation is a good one. Rent an RV. See if you like it. See if you can handle the maintenance.

Or since you mention wishing there were houses built of stone:

Buy an inexpensive fuel efficient vehicle. A Honda Fit gets 40+ mpg on the highway for example.

Research cheap places to buy land, travel to those places. See if the area suits you. Camp in the area for a while.

You do not need to have drywall for interior walls, there are alternatives to fiberglass insulation, there are natural paints that do not offgas, etc.

CLAY PLASTERS: They are a more sustainable alternative to gypsum plaster and paint, supplied ready to mix with water and be applied with conventional plastering tools and skills.
Clay plasters are natural and non-toxic, with low VOCs emissions and no synthetic, concrete or lime additives.

You could purchase cheap land (that will not depreciate over time) and build something small with natural materials that do not affect you.

Your income is set no matter your location.

If you are thinking of living in an RV you could easily live in a tiny home and have stability, very little maintenance, and have a very efficient car to drive keeping within your limited budget.

Consider renting an Adobe house? Very basic in some ways. No drywall, etc.

Just a thought. Others with experience can tell you the good and bad regarding them.

It would be difficult to find a true Adobe house to rent.

It is not difficult to find a vehicle to convert into a living space using materials that are not toxic.

Last edited:
Edward jones financial consultant said that 25% percent of your monthly payments can go towards housing and 10% towards transportation[180/month in car payments]that is about 450/month for an Rv and then you have RV parks/BLM land

Why would this be a foolish move if a cheaper truck is paid off in cash?

Did you tell the financial advisor that your “housing” was an RV?
An RV is a vehicle not a house. And it's not financially wise to spend money on vehicles in lieu of housing. Sometimes other factors are more important than doing what's financially prudent. Like someone with a defined lifespan choosing to get a loan to purchase something they are unlikely to live long enough to pay off. Or a Gen Yer giving up an apartment and buying a camper van when they have many years of earning power left after they're finished with the lark. Based on your description: middle age disabled person with low income and limited earning potential, and circumstances: no savings, no house, one time cash windfall. You don't fit into either of those categories. You presumably have several decades of life left and very little ability to recover from poor financial decisions.

With all these "health" problems, I'm curious what the doctors would have to say about living in an RV....

With all these "health" problems, I'm curious what the doctors would have to say about living in an RV....

The rv is just a means to an end

To have something that if a location goes bad
[Wildfire,pollution,outdoor mold] there is room to be more mobile

Since building mold brings me down fast there aren't much other alternatives other than sleeping in a vehicle and only spending some of the day in housing

Did you tell the financial advisor that your “housing” was an RV?
An RV is a vehicle not a house. And it's not financially wise to spend money on vehicles in lieu of housing. Sometimes other factors are more important than doing what's financially prudent. Like someone with a defined lifespan choosing to get a loan to purchase something they are unlikely to live long enough to pay off. Or a Gen Yer giving up an apartment and buying a camper van when they have many years of earning power left after they're finished with the lark. Based on your description: middle age disabled person with low income and limited earning potential, and circumstances: no savings, no house, one time cash windfall. You don't fit into either of those categories. You presumably have several decades of life left and very little ability to recover from poor financial decisions.
We do have savings of about 40k at the moment

Appreciate the tip with the financial advisor

I think WanderingRoses's recommendation is a good one. Rent an RV. See if you like it. See if you can handle the maintenance.

Or since you mention wishing there were houses built of stone:

Buy an inexpensive fuel efficient vehicle. A Honda Fit gets 40+ mpg on the highway for example.

Research cheap places to buy land, travel to those places. See if the area suits you. Camp in the area for a while.

You do not need to have drywall for interior walls, there are alternatives to fiberglass insulation, there are natural paints that do not offgas, etc.

CLAY PLASTERS: They are a more sustainable alternative to gypsum plaster and paint, supplied ready to mix with water and be applied with conventional plastering tools and skills.
Clay plasters are natural and non-toxic, with low VOCs emissions and no synthetic, concrete or lime additives.

You could purchase cheap land (that will not depreciate over time) and build something small with natural materials that do not affect you.

Your income is set no matter your location.

If you are thinking of living in an RV you could easily live in a tiny home and have stability, very little maintenance, and have a very efficient car to drive keeping within your limited budget.
I like the idea of having a fuel efficient car.
Especially one that hauls an Rv 6000 lbs

With 40k in savings im not sure if this is enough to buy Land and hire someone to build a tiny home and afford septic system and meeting zoning laws

Open to this option

I feel most free roaming around in vehicle and avoiding the indoors.

I like the idea of having a fuel efficient car.
Especially one that hauls an Rv 6000 lbs

With 40k in savings im not sure if this is enough to buy Land and hire someone to build a tiny home and afford septic system and meeting zoning laws

Open to this option

I feel most free roaming around in vehicle and avoiding the indoors.
You can get a fuel efficient car OR a vehicle that will haul a 6000 lbs RV. Otherwise the best I've found will still get less than 30mpg as a daily driver and will haul less than 5000 lbs... and the 5k lbs is the load limit so you want to be a good bit under to extend the life of your tow vehicle. Oh, and hauling with it will seriously drop the MPG even further.