Buyers remorse..Seeking some guidance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With 40k in savings im not sure if this is enough to buy Land and hire someone to build a tiny home and afford septic system and meeting zoning laws
It's not enough money to hire a builder to create an HGTV worthy tiny home. If you're flexible about location, it is enough to buy a fixer upper on a few acres with utilities and zoning already in place. Plus, you'll have somewhere to park your truck and trailer when you're not traveling!

Do it in the right order: first buy the house, then the truck, lastly the RV. That is the smart way to do it and the nearly essential order if getting loans to accomplish it.

https://www.landsearch.com/properties/i-gues-tbd-fort-hancock-tx-79839/2900304https://www.landsearch.com/properties/29418-franklin-rd-stover-mo-65078/2993030https://www.landsearch.com/properties/diamond-bar-rd-twentynine-palms-ca-92277/2936717

Sheesh, wish I had a spare $44K a month or two ago…its even brick!

https://www.realtor.com/realestatea...ty-Road-679_Blytheville_AR_72315_M74097-95048
$44,900
Est.
  • 3bed
  • 3bath
  • 2,468sqft

3854 N County Road 679, Blytheville, AR 72315​

• Property type
    Single family
  • Time on Realtor.com
    49 days
  • Price per sqf
    $18
  • Garage
    2 Cars
These places are out there, come up every now and then depending on what you want.

I tried copying the photo but it only creates some gobblydygook.
I‘m not much good with computers…

Don't get me wrong, I've never been to Arkansas. But it seems there is a reason it's priced so aggressively. Is that price out of place for the area?

Edit: I just looked at the ad and photos. There's a lot of work needed to finish up the interior. Depending on your background, friend available to help, and material cost it could be a great deal. And it's still available.

From what have been seeing on realty sites, the “Dixie tornado alley” states of Arkansas through Alabama are still showing some decent priced either fixer-upper or such homes, though they are still fairly rare.

I’ve been looking for a couple of years for the elusive “old framed home or single wide trailer on a couple acres under $30K” that’s not in a flood zone but have yet to find a decent one.

The weather is a bit scary in that belt, be just my luck to become like Dorothy…

Don't get me wrong, I've never been to Arkansas. But it seems there is a reason it's priced so aggressively. Is that price out of place for the area?

Edit: I just looked at the ad and photos. There's a lot of work needed to finish up the interior. Depending on your background, friend available to help, and material cost it could be a great deal. And it's still available.
I live a couple of hours from Blythville. You don’t want to live there. One reason is the Mosquitoes will carry you away. Flat ugly ass country and potential for crime. IMHO

I picked up a plane near there when the Challenger exploded & they were calling it Blightville then but I wasn't there long.

Lol!!! Like Eastern Kentucky I thought Arkansas was great until I came to the Southwest. Lots of insects, flying and crawling, laying in rain water and mud with eleven tornado sightings in the area trying to attach the tie downs to my new mobile home! Poisonous oak, ivy and sumac. Just personal preference I guess but I really liked it because I just hadn’t lived many other places.

That Blytheville house interior has been gutted for a reason...either infestations or some type of critters, termites maybe, or black mold, or lead based paint, or who knows what.

Might cost more to renovate it than it would be worth.

My entire life people have always said I should move from California. The politics, earthquakes, taxes, cost of living, etc. They had never been to the state.

They would tell me they would rather have tornadoes and hurricanes and whatnot instead of those terrifying earthquakes. Mostly they said because they had warning ahead of time. My thought was that if you know you're probably going to lose your house or at least deal with tremendous damages, it's no better than not knowing. Except the fact that you get to be in a basement while the world is getting picked up and rearranged. No thank you. I'll accept my unexpected 10-60 seconds of everything shaking. Some groceries falling off of shelves at a few stores. Maybe some broken things if it's a good one. I don't have to call FEMA for that.

Where I'm at I can get just about any weather and scenery I choose within 1.5 hours of driving. Maybe 2 depending on traffic. Multiple beaches, mountains, deserts, even snow (might or might not be fake snow for skiing), lakes, streams, etc.

It's everything they say it is. Expensive and all that. But where else can I get the rest of it?

I was told we can return this and receive 7k at chevydealership for them to buy the truck back
They say if we buy a used car from there lot we won't have to pay sales tax for a trade in

Most of this is the 5k extended warranty

Need a replacement vehicle now as I'm suffering with air pollution in Phoenix

At the toyota dealership we we're told trade in value is 34k

Found a good 2015 Toyota corolla at 118k miles yesterday 17k after taxes with refund from chevy or just not going through them the sales guy said he could do about 300-350.month

About 5k would be applied and it may be 12k cash

I told him no financing unless it's under 200.Ideally cash paid off

Looking at Prius as well if there is a way to run this AC overnight as my wife's lease will be up in October

And we are looking at florida where it's more hot and humid

We have arrived at the conclusion that it's time to return this truck

Just need help here w/ replacement

Thank you

Where I'm at I can get just about any weather and scenery I choose within 1.5 hours of driving. Maybe 2 depending on traffic. Multiple beaches, mountains, deserts, even snow (might or might not be fake snow for skiing), lakes, streams, etc.

It's everything they say it is. Expensive and all that. But where else can I get the rest of it?
I lived in California for a decade, split between San Francisco and Los Angeles. I liked city life, but nowadays I'd be drawn to the Clearlake and Green Vally Lake areas. I still kick myself for not buying a property in Inverness during the Great Recession...

I agree with your climatic assessment of California, but the Big Island of Hawaii, comes pretty close. Culturally it has a much more laid back vibe. Real estate is cheaper. Maybe there's a Kau coffee plantation somewhere in my future...

https://www.lovebigisland.com/hawai...e zones,Hydrology and Earth System Sciences).
https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/hawa...ate-zones-an-explorers-guide-to-each-of-them/

Lots of regrets in ones life to be sure. The “would of, should of, could of” trap can get you depressed. Since we cannot unwind the past, gotta just “keep on keeping on” till the day comes when we can’t.

Now that doesn’t preclude trying to find a safe place to dwell and reasoning through an area’s cost of living vs our finances. We just have to be accepting of our circumstances.

At 68 I don’t have the time left to repeat my youthful mistakes.

I agree with your climatic assessment of California, but the Big Island of Hawaii, comes pretty close. Culturally it has a much more laid back vibe. Real estate is cheaper. Maybe there's a Kau coffee plantation somewhere in my future...
While both states have a high cost of living, California is generally cheaper than Hawaii, particularly in terms of housing costs.
Lifestyle is more relaxed, but Mold is a common problem in Hawaii, and it can cause serious health issues if left untreated. Having a mold-free home is key to a healthy living environment.

Being an airplane flight from everywhere doesnt help either.