Shotgun in a Van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ArtW said:
Zimmerman didn't get screwed by the system, he was exonerated
it was the media,  social media and threats from social justice types that screwed him
in fact without all the hollering from the social justice typed, he'd not even have faced charges, the case was full on political grandstanding
there are STILL folks that think Martin was a darling child that did nothing wrong, thanks to all the race baiting

He's in debt for over $1,000,000 in lawyer fees, so I'd say that he got screwed. The laws of Florida, justified his actions. But the DOJ pressured the local cops to charge him. This is all, The System, right there.

On a side note, Conspiracy Theorists, have a theory that Trayvon Martin was an Illuminati Blood Sacrifice. Martin's father just got his stripes right after his son's murder as a 32nd or 33rd degree Freemason. Zimmerman's father is also like a very wealthy Judge and very connected to the Colorado Airport, another conspiracy theory. Check it out on YouTube, it's interesting stuff.

2nd warning to stay on topic, not Zimmerman or anything else.

Another off-topic post and the thread will be locked.

Short shotguns are classified as Class 3 weapons.  That's the same category machine guns are in.  You can only buy them from Class 3 dealers, not regular gun stores.  And many states severely restrict them or even outlaw them completely.  Here in NY, even individual cops can't own them, they have to be department property.

Sort of defeats the whole purpose of having a gun you can legally travel widely with.

http://class3laws.com/

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Short shotguns are classified as Class 3 weapons.  That's the same category machine guns are in.  You can only buy them from Class 3 dealers, not regular gun stores.  And many states severely restrict them or even outlaw them completely.  Here in NY, even individual cops can't own them, they have to be department property.

Sort of defeats the whole purpose of having a gun you can legally travel widely with.

http://class3laws.com/

Those Shorty Shotguns are classified as "All Other Weapons", or something like that. The site says that it's only a $5 tax stamp. But I'm not sure about the other restrictions that may be similar to the Class 3. But I bet you're right about not being able to travel freely, state to state with them.

I have a Stevens 320 Security and, damn it's huge.

I also have a Ruger 10/22 Takedown that breaks apart in half. Hmm, maybe that's a better choice with say a 25 round mag and good quality Stinger ammo. I know it's still a little .22LR, but much better than nothing. Added plus would be that it's a less scary and less aggressive as compared to a 12 gauge.

Personal thoughts is that I'd have a little mini shotgun unloaded in the back of the van, where I sleep. A big concern is that someone will break into the van when I'm asleep. I have plans to use it as a last resort, but if I do need to use it, I want something I can use real fast. I don't want a long shotgun because it's a van, it's a small space, and movement is kind of important.

I'm glad I found this thread (most of it anyway - I skimmed over the crap).
I've been looking into this subject recently.  The laws seem so convoluted and inconsistent.  I'm not concerned about human threats.  I just want the ability to protect my dog and myself in the backwoods and not run afoul of the law in my travels.

Woltz said:
Personal thoughts is that I'd have a little mini shotgun unloaded in the back of the van, where I sleep. A big concern is that someone will break into the van when I'm asleep. I have plans to use it as a last resort, but if I do need to use it, I want something I can use real fast. I don't want a long shotgun because it's a van, it's a small space, and movement is kind of important.

Just curious Woltz, why are you going to have it unloaded in the back?
I always think that a gun that is unloaded is not a good gun to have for self defense.  jmho
I have always heard that if it is unloaded, and you have to take the time to load it when you need it, then it is pretty much useless as a self defense weapon.
Now remember, I am just voicing my opinion, but if I am going to have a gun I do want it loaded, and ready to use, I may not have the time to load it before someone gets to me, or steals what they want.
Sharon

An unloaded gun is a poorly designed paperweight. If you are driving, granted it should be secured. When I am parked somewhere, it is loaded and within reach.
Of course, your AO determines the rules you have to operate under. I try to avoid "gun-unfriendly" places.

#1BonBonQueen said:
Just curious Woltz, why are you going to have it unloaded in the back?
I always think that a gun that is unloaded is not a good gun to have for self defense.  jmho
I have always heard that if it is unloaded, and you have to take the time to load it when you need it, then it is pretty much useless as a self defense weapon.
Now remember, I am just voicing my opinion, but if I am going to have a gun I do want it loaded, and ready to use, I may not have the time to load it before someone gets to me, or steals what they want.
Sharon

Because as often mentioned already here, some places it's illegal to have a loaded firearm inside a vehicle. And sliding in a quick shell isn't that hard, especially if there is a wall between me and the person who the gun would be used against. Also mentioned, the gun is a last resort. Unlike some other people in the world, I don't want to have to majorly harm or kill a man because he's breaking into my van.

A short, legal 18 1/4 inch barrel shotgun, while not as maneuverable as a pistol, is still very workable in a van. Have it placed after you load it for the night or when you set camp in a position where when you grab it it is pointing toward the probable entrance of a bad guy or girl. Round in the chamber with the safety on until needed. Racking a round causes you to lose a bit of concentration that can be the deciding factor if you are in fact threatened. Announcing that you have a gun just tells them where you are, keep quiet and if they present a threat.. Kill them. 

I have a Benelli M4 semi-auto but a good pump is fine too, just buy a good quality weapon as your life may depend on it.

Happy Hunting , Rob

How do you shoot a burglar in a completely dark house?   :huh:

Rack a shotgun, and aim for the smell.   :p

Just the sound would defuse a large number of situations.    :D

I would hate to blow out a wall shooting blind.

Silhouettes, very few places are completely dark. How someone reacts to a perceived threat is entirely up to them. Many say they would chamber a round and sound would scare the bad guy. An armed bad guy might just start firing and he knows about where you are.

The chances are great that you will never be bothered or robbed. Trust in luck or whatever deity you believe in to protect you.

Rob

oops

CGM-funny-coast-guard-memes-CLP-578x768.jpg

Attachments

• CGM-funny-coast-guard-memes-CLP-578x768.jpg
    CGM-funny-coast-guard-memes-CLP-578x768.jpg
    46.1 KB
mayble said:
I'm glad I found this thread (most of it anyway - I skimmed over the crap).
I've been looking into this subject recently.  The laws seem so convoluted and inconsistent.  I'm not concerned about human threats.  I just want the ability to protect my dog and myself in the backwoods and not run afoul of the law in my travels.

If I were looking for something for protecting myself and my dog, and I wasn't already well versed in gun usage, I'd go with a very sturdy staff and some practice using it.  Using a gun could put your dog in jeopardy since it may get in between you and the attacker.  I'd add a stun gun to that mix, but just like guns, the laws are all over the place about possessing/using one.

My sentiments or attitudes toward the use of weapons are strictly mine. I do not advocate for any particular style of defense, just whatever eases your worries. Any weapon, from a BB gun on up is only as good as the person wielding it.

As GotSmart wrote, just firing blindly is of no use at all. I will retract any advice I have given, It works for me and me alone. What you do and how you respond to a threat is certainly none of my concern.

I will bow out of the conversation now..Rob

"I skimmed over the crap" caught my eye in your post. Throughout the eighties in my step van I had a FULLY LOADED Mossberg 12 ga with the safety on 11 0r 12 shells I can't remember illegal now but just having that available must have given me a DFWM status I should have not driven into OL' Mexico for beer and steak cause it took the US border 4 hours of BS before sending me on my way

GotSmart said:
How do you shoot a burglar in a completely dark house?   :huh:

Rack a shotgun, and aim for the smell.   :p

Just the sound would defuse a large number of situations.    :D

I would hate to blow out a wall shooting blind.
My brother decided one night he heard someone coming into his house thru the sliding door. He was three sheets to the wind drunk, found noone at the door and when he put his shotgun back in the closet it went off. I don't think he ever re plastered his wall but he got to meet some nice cops.

Gunny said:
Trust in luck or whatever deity you believe in to protect you.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."  Han Solo, Free Trader and Practical Philosopher.