Shotgun in a Van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the most part I will be traveling in & around the following western states, Oregon, Washington, NE California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming & Montana. I may get into SD, Colorado or New Mexico. I plan to go no futher into California than necessary. I know the laws concerning unloaded firearms (probably an unloaded rifle) in a few of the states, OR, ID, UT & WY. I plan to carry one completely locked up & unloaded while traveling. I have no desire to carry a pistol, never was one very good with them. Question 1, would a shotgun be better? Question 2, unfamiliar with the laws in WA, MT, CO, NM, AZ, NV I do know CA is very restrictive concerning firearms. But are there restrictions in the aforementioned 6 states for an unloaded locked up rifle or shotgun? I'm thinking a shotgun is more usable for snakes, small varmints, & can ward off most other vermin. I want to be relatively safe while camping, also most will be done in Fed or State parks using my senior pass as much as possible. Thanks.

Mossberg makes a pistol grip short barrel 16 gauge pump. Less recoil than a 12 gauge; short to be easy to swing and then point within the confines of a vehicle. It's gunna be my next gun.

The best source of info on this that I know is the Handgun Law site.  Even though they are PRIMARILY oriented towards pistols and Concealed Carry, note that over on the left of their home page are links for "Long Guns In Vehicles" and "RV/Car Carry".   Also, be aware that if you stray onto Native American Reservations, Tribal Law overrules state law and valid concealed carry permits, and you can be arrested for something that would be perfectly legal outside the reservation.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

BTW, to answer your Question #1 . . .

You are both morally and LEGALLY responsible for every bullet that leaves your gun.  If you fire a rifle in self defense, and it either misses or even if it passes THROUGH a legitimate threat and hits someone else, you are in a heap of trouble.  Buckshot from a shotgun is far less likely to be problematic, and really, if the threat is further away from you than a shotgun can reach, you've probably got no business firing at him/her/it anyway.

Northern California has about as much in common with the rest of the state as a cat has in common with a dog. highdesertranger

Lot's of great replies here. There is an app "Legal Heat" for your phone which outlines the laws in all 50 states. Great for when you're traveling. 

As the daughter of 2 firearms instructors in NY and a military sharpshooter myself, I think it's your right to carry weapon(s) in your vehicle (personal property). You need to be educated, confident and comfortable with your chosen piece(s) whether you're male or female. 

Not only should you consider security for yourself but security for your weapons. How do you secure them in your absence? Something to think about. Safety.

I'm more apt to fire a shotgun than my handgun. I know I will kill them with the handgun (only reason to pull one imo)... but there's just something about chambering a round in a shot gun that makes grown men wet themselves and run hahahahahah

BERETTA SILVER SNIPE over under 20 Ga. great for getting food light accurate and breaks in two. Never been stopped or searched will not allow seizure or detainment just an retired Californian OG camping in "da woods"

Hey you can always fall on the ground and shoot up... that way no one behind gets hit :D Come on folks... those who carry are generally pretty responsible... it's lack of practice/training that causes poor decisions under pressure...

Thanks for the input, I went to our local Walmart yesterday, checked out their supply of firearms. I had decided after looking at the 'heat' site that a shotgun carried secured & unloaded is legal in all the states I plan right now to roam in. Wally had a youth Remington pump action 20ga that would fit my needs, (being neither a hunter or hopefully no danger to the general public). It was a smaller (shorter) version of a full adult size, my thinking it would do the job without too much overkill. As said if I need the extra distance that a long barrel would give me then I shouldn't be shooting. It will take care of snakes & other small vermin. Cost was $290 out the door, OR has no sales tax, yeah!

.... shooting in the dark? IDK if they're at the van opening, in the dark then I'm in the dark too...but I'll know where to aim after I rack it because I'll hear the "OH SH**" from the intruder. :) My bad. Bad word warning (oh too late for that!)

Not sure if hearing the shotgun rack, scares off all or even many. It may just give away the element of surprise. In a larger space, like a home, it would give away both the surprise and position.

Used to be able to buy a door hanger with motion sensor that played a recording of large German Shepard barking and shot gun racking you could mount up front.

No personal defense training course I have ever heard of recommends racking a shotgun, for a few reasons, first it means your shotgun was unloaded, not ready to fire, second anyone with 2 ears can pinpoint your location based on that sound alone and third the potential legal issues that arise from that premeditation of racking it. Some case law backs that up from what I hear(haven't looked into it myself)
They went into a little discussion on this when I took the mandatory basic course. Basically coming to the same conclusion as I said above.

Personally I believe an unloaded gun is a paperweight that will get you killed, I keep my guns loaded, round chambered whenever I legally can which is why I built an AR "pistol"

GrayWhale said:
Not sure if hearing the shotgun rack, scares off all or even many. It may just give away the element of surprise. In a larger space, like a home, it would give away both the surprise and position.

I see a lot of references on the Internet about how scary the sound of a shotgun being racked is.  It always surprises people when I tell them that some of the experts I've trained with say that a hardened criminal, when faced with that situation, will sometimes think:  "This idiot only just realized his gun wasn't loaded.  If I move fast, I can probably take him."

{shrug}  My combat shotgun is a semi-auto, so racking it for "intimidation" isn't an option anyway . . .

Gunny said:
Inexpensive, name brand low recoil self defense.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/stevens320pump

I bought this Stevens 320 in 12 gauge, 2 years ago during Black Friday for $169 and it came with 50 rounds of 00 buck and 50 rounds of 000 buck. These were Federal Power Shok that was going for $100 for 100 rounds, so the shotgun was only freakin' $69.  This was at Dick's Sporting Goods. Went back last year to pick up another one and it only came with 50 rounds (instead of 100).

Biggest downside is that it's made in China. Other slightly downside is that the pistol grip makes it quite a pain to take it apart.

Kinda like when Biden suggested that his wife and others, don't need an AR-15 with 30 round mags for home defense; and just get a double barrel shotgun and shoot it in the air, TWICE, to scare off anybody from their wooded home. Haha, now his wife needs to reload.

If anything, that AR-15 is badass. Incredibly light weight, little recoil, very accurate and highly lethal bullet w/much less chances of over-penetrating and killing bystanders or family members in the next room vs. 12 gauge buckshots that will go through multiple drywall pretty easily. I'm an AK guy, but sometimes I wish I went the AR route.