Ready, Set....Go List

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update:

Originally I had said no to house/dog sitting for my friend, but his roommate bailed on him. The guy left the dogs with food and water and left the basement open for them to poop all over down there. He was desperate for help. He had two weeks before he had to head back to Texas and no one to care for them so I drove from Michigan to Missouri in time to be there a week with him before he left so that the dogs would recognize me as belonging there.

Well, he leaves all seems fine until the landlord shows up. My friends rent check bounced, and he finds out I have a dog and he isn't happy and says the dogs have to relieve themselves off the property. I can't walk 3 dogs 4 times a day in Missouri. Have you seen the hills here? One of the dogs is a huge Rottweiler that weighs as much as me. The landlord shows up a week later demanding a walk through inspection, (of course I had cleaned up the basement, it was disgusting) and seems surprised there are still 3 dogs. WTH? Dogs aren't like trash, you can't put them out by the curb and be rid of them.

He wants to know if I pay Jimmi rent, when ive told him several times I'm just here to watch the dogs for 6'weeks and I can't leave soon enough. He said it's good I'm here, even if it is illegally (sighs).

He contacts my friend, Jimmi and tells him if he doesn't have $1,500 by Friday he's evicting him. Actually he said he has already started the process of eviction, so who knows if he is still evicting? Jimmi sent $775 Walmart 2 Walmart and I picked up the money and deposited it directly into the landlords account.

Jimmi asks me to pack up all his belongings, he said he is going to get movers to come load his stuff up and take it to storage end of the month.

So, here I am packing up a 2 bedroom splitlevel apartment and wondering what the heck I'm going to do with his two dogs if all this takes place before he gets back. (Housesitter, dogsitter/walker, house packing, and personal assistant.) This turned into more than a full time job lol.

I'm also worried that the lawyer will try to name me in the eviction notice. I've never been evicted in my life and I don't want that on my credit report. Ugh, this situation has me tied up in knots.

Oof. You obviously have some sort of loyalty to jimmi, but he's clearly an idiot. I suggest you take his dogs to the animal shelter and move out TOMORROW. His life is his problem, and you're not responsible for it. He's an anchor. But if you really feel you need to help him move out, tell him to send you some money so you can hire someone to pack up his crap before the movers come. And money to ship his dogs to TX.

Time for jimmi to grow up.

He's a friend in a bind, albeit one of his own making. I came here to help him out, so I'll do what I can. At this point I am thinking of loading the dogs up and taking them camping for a couple weeks.

I think I'll pack up as much as I can this week. I already spent $50 on tape and boxes, so when I run out of boxes I'm done.

He covered his rent that was due, hopefully that resolves things until he can get back and I can get gone.

I understand, you're more or less committed to seeing this thing through. Just the same, he's definitely over-extending things by wanting "you" to pack up his possessions. That crosses the line in my book. Let him fly back for a weekend and do it himself. I guess I've seen too many bozos in my life to feel sorry for any of them. You can't save people from themselves.

So remember .... for next time. !!!

closeanuf said:
No good deed goes unpunished.

It does feel a bit like that :)

It doesn't feel right to just abandon him.  When I do move on, it will be with a clear conscience and hopefully with a friendship not too terribly damaged.

Crap. I'm in a pickle

Jimmi was served a 10 days to vacate notice by his landlord (is that even legal?) I figure it is, his landlord is a lawyer.

So now, I have 2 dogs that aren't mine plus my own dog in a strange city/state that i don't know much about and I have to find free camping for 15 days and figure out how to carry camping gear for 2 weeks and 3 dogs and food and water in my sedan.

Plus finish packing for him.

I'm seriously considering locating a dog boarder to take his dogs except he probably couldn't afford it and it isn't fair to the dog boarder or dogs.

I could seriously cry right now if I wasn't so aggravated.

I did find a Water Conservatory ran by the army corps of engineers about 8 miles away.
I didn't bring all my camping gear but I have my backpack with bare basic stuff (water filter, fire starters, cordage, shovel, stakes etc) and Jimmi has a sleeping bag, butane stove, tent and blow up mattress etc. I could gather enough stuff with what I always carry and what he has to make do for a couple weeks but damn it sounds exhausting to handle 3 dogs, one as big as a pony and all that gear. Considering as far as I can tell it's a park and carry in type camp site.

(Sighs).

What a mess.

Actually, I had already looked into free campsites before I even came here to Missouri so I do have 9 or so options within a 30 min to one hour drive so, there's that. I think I'll drive out to a few of them and check them out before the 20th.

Just had to take a deep breath and calm down. I got this. I may be wearing Jimmi as a slipper when he gets back from texas, but hey - all things can be endured so long as they are temporary. And all things are temporary.

RowanFae said:
I may be wearing Jimmi as a slipper when he gets back from texas
What is the meaning here?

Why has Jimmi not been able to immediately return?

Being kind to help others is one thing, but

you are volunteering to be abused here, IMO. He owes you so much, I'd say at least two weeks room & board for each day you have to deal with his f-up.

I would get it in writing before lifting another finger.

RowanFae Wrote:
I may be wearing Jimmi as a slipper when he gets back from texas

John61CT replied: What is the meaning here?

-------------------------------

Meaning I want to put my foot up his arse

He did land me and himself in a mess, but as much as a part of me really wants to say, " get your but back here and deal with this mess," I know that his quitting his job will just sink him deeper into a worse mess.

I'm already here, Packing isn't the worst thing in the world and I don't mind doing that for him.

Camping isn't a hardship for me. 2 extra dogs is a challenge, but surmountable. Plus, he is essentially homeless, so at least he will have a campsite set up when he gets here (minus my things.)

Mostly I'm just stressed because it all has to happen in 10 days and I wasn't expecting that since I assumed if he did get a notice it would be 30 days. Plus, I'm not sure if having 3 dogs at a campsite will get me booted and his dogs don't have any vet papers/shots.

Yes, I didn't sign up for all this but I don't know what else I can do other than take care of business and make it work until he can claim his dogs.

I'd drive back to Michigan and make him get his dogs there but I enalready reserved a hotel in Kentucky, for October 4 - 9 so I can visit 2 of my grandkids and from here it is under 5 hours away and from Michigan it would be 12 hours. I did consider camping closer to Kentucky....

Sorry, at this point I'm babbling on and on.

Rowan you are welcome to camp at my place in ky. I have a great camping spot here

Cammalu said:
Rowan you are welcome to camp at my place in ky. I have a great camping spot here

Thank you :)

Until he gets his dogs, I have to stay I. Missouri.  I don't want to give him any reason to not come and get them.  I will be in Kentucky the first couple weeks of October.  I'd love to meet you.  I'll be staying in a hotel near my grandkids, from October 4 - 9.  You are about 1 1/2 hours from there.

Don't worry about babbling, Dear.... it is akin to brainstorming and sometimes just sharing stuff with others can help you to see more clearly and resolve issues. Keep us posted, please.

GypsyJan said:
Don't worry about babbling, Dear.... it is akin to brainstorming and sometimes just sharing stuff with others can help you to see more clearly and resolve issues. Keep us posted, please.

It gets better (worse?). My friend actually asked me to rent a truck, pick up an old gutted out, unregistered travel trailer and bring it and the dogs to him in Texas and said, "I'll get you back somehow..."  I told him I can't just leave my car and he said, "you could  if You parked it in long-term parking at the airport or rented a storage space temporarily for it." Because I have all this cash just laying around - not (sighs)

I said no, and sent him info for dog kennels and dog transporters.  He says he put in a bid for a dog transporter, so we'll see.

I'm obviously being too nice, because those were some ridiculously entitled expectations.

Contact me when you are close Rowan. We had hoped to be long gone by then but I was stupid and bought another rental and we are stuck renovating. We leave when it’s done!

Yes the jerk is def taking advantage of your kindness, trying to play you for a fool.

I'm now thinking he knew it was coming and figured nice mommie/wifey/ lady friend figure would help him make it easier.

Using the dogs as golden handcuffs.

Drop them at a shelter, and move on with your life, you don't need such an abusive parasite in your life.

I couldn't possibly dump these poor dogs at a shelter. They don't deserve that.

Funny story follows. While on lunch looking for a bench to eat my lunch between classes years ago the only open seat was next to a guy with a cute ferret sitting on his shoulder. After asking if he minded if I sit with them he was more than glad to share his bench. After several minutes of finishing up lunch and talking he asked if I would mind holding the ferret while he got his back pack on. Of course I said sure I would. He extended out his arm to my shoulder and the ferret jumped right over to my shoulder without hesitation. After the fellow got his back pack on he started to walk off to his next class. I said " Don't you want your ferret?" To which he replied "Not my ferret, every time I tried to get it off it would get angry and start bitting my ears sure glad you came along!" Wasn't too long till one of my professors who loved animals came along and I allowed him to hold the ferret. That was payback for saying trapping and hunting should be criminal. My parting comment was "Share the love!" I think your "friend" is too irresponsible to care for a dog or dogs and doesn't deserve them as he cann't and didn't make proper arangements for them other than trying to leave them with you to take care of indefinetly. I would tell him to make arrangements or you will turn him in to the authorities for animal abuse/abandonment.

But he did find a (too) kind person to care for them (free).

So no abuse / abandonment legally.

Only morally.

I would at least get him to agree a daily rate for your work, and don't tell him where all his stuff is until he both takes the dogs back and pays you, cash on the barrel.

Really, choose better recipients in future for your bottomless compassion.

Not my business, I know. . .