Ready, Set....Go List

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RowanFae

Reaction score
Ok, so for the last few months I have been gathering what I think I will need for camping out of my car.  The last 30 days I have been eating the shelf ready foods and fresh fruits and veggies I plan on eating while camping in the backcountry.  Just in case, ya know?  Not a good time for upset tummies!  So far so good, aside from gaining.6 pounds ugh.

Here is what I have (give or take.). Any suggestions or advice is welcome:

Shelter:
Tent & car.  I do need to waterproof the tent, and will do that when I get to my son's house in Michigan.
I still need a couple tarps.  I've slept in the tent, raised it and broke it down easily so I'm confident I can Raise and breakdown with relative ease.  It is a little heavy for me, but not unmanageable.  I had the oil changed and bought a new tire.  I also bought a Jump Starter/Aircompressor with inverter - although State Farm's has roadside service, still if I'm off in the woods somewhere and run my battery down I should be good.  

Food: I survived for a month on the fresh fruits/veggies and shelf stable foods so I will continue with those.  The spicy & sweet tuna was soooo delicious.  I don't want to mess around with needing to go into town to get ice, so I'm forgoing that. 

Cooking:  I have a 2 burner propane camp stove that I will also use for heat if I need it, and a 20lb propane tank that I will have topped off when I get to Michigan.  The propane tank hose didn't fit my propane stove so I had to purchase an adapter hose, but it will also work with a Mr. Buddy Heater when I get around to buying one.

Bought me a kettle that whistles so pretty and helps remind me that I have something on the stove.  Yeah, I'm that absent minded.  Gonna need my morning, afternoon tea!

Utensils: Kept a few that I knew I would need, gave the rest away.

Cleaning dishes/surface areas:  I have a spray bottle of vinegar/water and a spray bottle of simply green.

Hygiene:  I have spray bottles with alcohol/water as well as baby wipes.  I also bought a pressure pump 1 gallon spray container for quick showers, spraying off dirty feet etc.  Hand sanitizer, and various other toiletries and lotions for feeling clean and smelling nice.

Going potty:  I have a bucket, pool noodle cushion, funnel and containers - need to get bags.  I want to try the biodegrable bags.  Kinda nervous about those.  I have a good sized folding shovel as well as a small folding spade.  I wonder if a few sprinkles of yeast works as well as the biostarter stuff they sell to help break down waste?  

Water:  I have 6 gallons of drinking water and one gallon of water in the pump spray but I also have a Sawyer Mini water filter and purification tablets.  I'm not worried about finding water in Michigan, but I don't want to have to leave the forest too much, preferably just once or twice a month to go into town and visit grandkids and family.  

Lighting:  I have spare rechargeable batteries for my headlamp, and I have a Luci Light and several flashlights (need spare rechargeable batteries for them). 

Fire:  several refillable lighters and bottle of fluid, I made my own waterproof matches (1,000) and they are vacuum sealed for emergencies. I made way more than I need fire starters (lint, candle wax and cardboard egg containers.  They smell good too, since all I had was scented candle wax lol). 

Personal Protection:  my dog is at least an early warning signal,  I have knives and guns (although I din't know if I'll bring my guns outside of Michigan where they are registered.). I don't know.  I've never felt unsafe in the woods.  Maybe I will pick up some bear spray.  I have pepper spray, I picked that up during my bike rides when I was off on the trails and ran across a stray dog and realized if he'd been unfriendly I didn't have anything but my bike to defend myself with.  Anyway....moving on.  

MedKit/First AId Kit:  Ridiculously overkill here and I'm not even sure I'm taking it with me. I'm talking everything from ankle wraps to tens units and diabetic testers and supplies to blah, way too much to even go into.  It is my SHTF Medical Go Bag.   I may stick with my small first aid kit in my bike bag.

Sleeping:  I have a cot, that once I figured out how to assemble it - don't ask - it is easy to put together and breaks down into a small bag.  I purchased a self-inflating mattress and I have 3 blankets and a sleeping bag.  My dog has his basket, blanket and his sweaters.  He really hates being cold.

I also have a bag that rolls up and zips that keeps things like camp axe, chisels, clamps, hammer, Bowie Knife etc.  Love the bag, it has pockets for everything to slide into and folds up then rolls into an easy to carry/pack out case that straps easy to a backpack.  

Hmm, there's more.  I have a grab and go bag with survival necessities that weighs about 20 pounds I could take if. I need to or when I am hiking away from camp.  

I have a Verizon phone, and a small power bank (I will be getting me solar powered 500,000 mAH power banks very soon.  Probably as soon as I get to Michigan.  2 of them should keep my phone, spare rechargeable batteries charged and my car inverter should be able to keep my laptop battery charged.  I don't really need any other power for now.  

I have 3 duffel bags of clothes (I'm still trying to get rid of more clothes so that I only have 1 or 2 duffel bags.  I'm weirdly attached to my raggedy old clothes.  I may need an intervention.)

Anyway, I've spent the last month testing things out.  Seeing what works for me, making sure what I have works and eating foods that I'm not accustomed to and I think all I need now is to just get' done.

If you powered through this hellishly long post, KUDOS!  If anyone has ideas, advice.  I'm happy to hear it.

ETA: I've done my reserach, and just need to print out the permits I need for dispersed camping in Michigan State Forests. I do need to get some maps of that area.

i didn't see a pillow on the list although I am assuming it's in the mix.

extra can opener if you are bringing canned food.....sometimes they break.

You sound prepared, Rowan. What is the make of your tent? My tent is the single most important consideration. Silicone-impregnated- not too high (winds) not too wide (climate) Easyset-up; take-down. Footprint. Tarp. Nothing goes in my tent except my pup and water. No odorous materials! This is especially important for bear and javelina. Know thy neighbors, too!

I love MI. The UP is one of my top 5 places to be. Isle Royale and Sleeping Bear- so beautiful! But because of potential extreme weather conditions, I do take my best equipment. And I am flexible with the weather. It can be cool-ish one day and hot-ish the next. I carry a portable fan. A good one.

Sounds like you have this covered very well.

Have fun!

Be safe but not TOO safe... ;)

wmyers4u said:
i didn't see a pillow on the list although I am assuming it's in the mix.

extra can opener if you are bringing canned food.....sometimes they break.

I have WAY too many pillows.  Figured if I end up having to sleep in the car, fluffy and comfy was a good thing.                                                                                                                                                

The extra can opener is a great idea! Thanks :heart: I keep struggling with my minimalist size and my prepper one is none side.

LathrenJames said:
You sound prepared, Rowan. What is the make of your tent? My tent is the single most important consideration. Silicone-impregnated- not too high (winds) not too wide (climate) Easyset-up; take-down. Footprint. Tarp. Nothing goes in my tent except my pup and water. No odorous materials! This is especially important for bear and javelina. Know thy neighbors, too!

I love MI. The UP is one of my top 5 places to be. Isle Royale and Sleeping Bear- so beautiful! But because of potential extreme weather conditions, I do take my best equipment. And I am flexible with the weather. It can be cool-ish one day and hot-ish the next. I carry a portable fan. A good one.

Sounds like you have this covered very well.

Have fun!

Be safe but not TOO safe... ;)

---------------------------------------------------------

I bought a tent from Walmart.  It is a teepee style tent, since I'm in just my car for now, I wanted to be able to stand up and have enough room to be comfortable but easy enough and small enough to handle on my own.  So easy to put up. Just unfold, stretch out and extend.  

The nothing but you and your dog idea is a good one.  Originally I was going to set up in the tent - play Ouse so to speak, but you bring up a good point about animals.  Do you hang your food or do you keep it in the car?

Thanks for the indepth list...

I found a few things I have overlooked so far... now I know to get them....:)

well thought out... looking forward to more info from you

thanks
JT

I forgot my 2 rechargeable fans. They are small, but effective. I'm thinking of getting a couple more. They take up so little space and are wonderful. If I keep on the lowest or second setting (they have three speeds) they will last all night.

The fans sound great. What brand/kind are they?

Good job on the list!

A very good thing to have is Aluminet, or shade cloth. You can see out one side the the opposite side reflects the sun. Great for making screen doors over your windows and doors and using anywhere. You buy it by the yard online.

LadyJo said:
The fans sound great. What brand/kind are they?

One is an ICOCO Mini the other is a Holmes.  The ICOCO was $19? And the Holmes $9.  The other portable fans I looked into all took like 8 or 10 D batteries.  I wanted rechargeable, and with limited space figured the small ones would be perfect, if they blew hard enough and they do!  I haven't tried them in 90 degree heat, so there's that.  We'll see.

For entertainment, on the unlikely chance I get bored, I have a Nook App on my phones and a Nook Color tablet I can download a few books to read while I'm on free wifi.  I also have Netflix and I can download a few shows to watch offline.  Hopefully I'll have my unlimited Data sorted out soon.

I actually was worried about how I was going to be able to sleep without Pandora Soothing Nature Sounds station.  A huge DUH moment.  Hopefully the real thing is as soothing as the Pandora station hahaha :)

RoadtripsAndCampfires said:
Good job on the list!

A very good thing to have is Aluminet, or shade cloth.  You can see out one side the the opposite side reflects the sun.  Great for making screen doors over your windows and doors and using anywhere.  You buy it by the yard online.

Thank You!  I had never heard of it, and now all of a sudden I have a new MUST HAVE!

I really like the microfiber towels I get at Sam's Club just don't let them hit the ground as they grab sticks and leaves an won't let go. They are cheap enough I just toss them when too dirty for reuse. My power system is Ryobi 18volt with a car charger for fans, lights, air compressor as well as an impact for driving my screw in tent stakes. Heavy and expensive but has lasted over 3 years with no issues. Less is more as long as you are happy with it and it sounds like you are off to a good start! X2 on the shade cloth.

I added microfiber towels to my gotta get list.  Checked online, but the Ryobi 18v battery sets I saw looked like a battery and you had to buy the different tools to fit it?  Is there an all in one "thingy" or did you purchase the different tools separately?

There are over 100 tools and gadgets that fit the same One+ battery.

Best to get the latter new, maybe $110 for a pair of big

Then tools to fit can be found very cheap from eBay if you like or buy new - from HD for the warranty - without the batts.

I use the desk lamp with a high and low setting, the fan, or misting fan which if you'll be in dry hot desert climates can be used with 5 gallon bucket as a misting fan also with hi and low settings (on low it will run 8 hours with the large latest greatest battery), several tools, drill, impact,circle saw, and small air compressor that will fill a tire eventually. All run off the "One Battery System" and will charge in an hour or two of driving. I use a two battery, one car and one house system in my truck and usually drive around exploring a few hours every day so no problem keeping them charged with the 12volt car charger for the 18 volt tool batteries. Ryobi usually has late November thru Christmas sales and I usually buy extra batteries at that time ( I usually have one or two spare batteries fully charged in case I don't get out for a couple days). A full solar system would be better but takes a lot of space and weighs a lot more. The one thing it would provide is cold food storage which is a big plus, but coming from a backpacking / camping background helps me do without. The most expensive part of a battery powered system like the Ryobi is the batteries and charger but unlike most other systems Ryobi makes lots of things that use the same battery and are really useful if not the highest quality, works for me!

bullfrog said:
I use the desk lamp with a high and low setting, the fan, or misting fan which if you'll be in dry hot desert climates can be used with 5 gallon bucket as a misting fan also with hi and low settings (on low it will run 8 hours with the large latest greatest battery), several tools, drill, impact,circle saw, and small air compressor that will fill a tire eventually.  All run off the "One Battery System" and will charge in an hour or two of driving.  I use a two battery, one car and one house system in my truck and usually drive around exploring a few hours every day so no problem keeping them charged with the 12volt car charger for the 18 volt tool batteries.  Ryobi usually has late November thru Christmas sales and I usually buy extra batteries at that time ( I usually have one or two spare batteries fully charged in case I don't get out for a couple days).  A full solar system would be better but takes a lot of space and weighs a lot more.  The one thing it would provide is cold food storage  which is a big plus, but coming from a backpacking / camping background helps me do without.  The most expensive part of a battery powered system like the Ryobi is the batteries and charger but unlike most other systems Ryobi makes lots of things that use the same battery and are really useful if not the highest quality, works for me!

Thanks :idea: I'm going to look into the Ryobi.  Definitely something to save up for, and I do love toys/tools.

John61CT said:
There are over 100 tools and gadgets that fit the same One+ battery.

Best to get the latter new, maybe $110 for a pair of big

Then tools to fit can be found very cheap from eBay if you like or buy new - from HD for the warranty - without the batts.

Good point, a new battery is definitely the way to go.  But, it is good to know that I can get used on eBay.  Learn new things everyday!

Ready, Set ...Go Follow up

So, it has been 6 weeks and I've actually learned quite a few things that (I hope) will make my transition into living out of my car easier.

Basically, I've been living in a small room in the south wing of my son's home. That sounded entirely too pretentious. It is basically just a long hallway that is closed off by a wall and door from the main house. My little room is perfect for me, because I have it laid out much like I envision my van build-out will be. I've arranged it differently a few times keeping to a basic 8X5 space. My stove, 'kitchen' stuff and daily things are on the 2 folding tables (2'x4' each). My other supplies are under the table and my 23"Wx ?long cot fits alongside it nicely. No A/C, just fans.

Living the last 6 weeks in this small, closed environment has shown me a few things.

1) Water. I drink/use WAY more water than I would have ever thought. A good gallon a day, NOT including showering. Yes, I use the alcohol spray bottle and wash rag to clean up, but I've found I just don't feel clean unless I have a supplemental shower at least every other day or two. So, if I plan on carrying what I need - not relying on the chance I will come across water at my campsite, then I need to carry way more water than I planned on doing. Water seems too important to me, to roll the dice with, because once I'm camped I want to stay put for 2 weeks at a time. In a van it won't be an issue, but setting up a campsite out of my car and having to pack it up every time I run out of something and need to make a trip into town does not sound like much fun.

? For those who live out of their vehicles and set up campsites, surely you don't leave your tent, chairs etc. out, unsecured and take off into town? Do you pack everything up, each time? I'm alone, with my dog, so there isn't anyone I can leave my things with.

2) Food. I made a mistake this month and bought mostly soups, which has been a huge mistake because now I'm so swollen with water retention from all the salt, I swear I slosh when I walk. Finding a low-salt, low carb diet from self-stable foods is quite the endeavor. I have to watch what I eat because some things trigger auto-immune responses for me, and I'm also diabetic. Fresh foods are ideal, but it all has to fit in a budget and last me through the month. Even though I have a fridge in the South Wing (yeah, there it is again) I don't use it except for my diabetic meds than need refrigerated, because I'm doing my best to live much the way I plan on living when I head out in August. So, fresh foods are good for a week tops. Food is proving to be a bit more of a logistic issue than I originally figured on.

?Keeping my medication refrigerated is going to be an obstacle. I've looked into 12v coolers, but I'm not sure how much of a drain that will put on my car battery.

?I've read the thread on unrefrigerated food and have some ideas on where to go from here but any ideas on reducing salt intake and keeping to a diabetic diet all while eating shelf-stable foods?

3) My small rechargeable fans. Basically a waste of money. They are not study enough to survive me. One is held together by two hair ties to keep it from rattling off the table. The other, the usb charger broke or it just plain died or something. I expected them to last more than 6 weeks, although to be fair, my grandkids probably played a hand in their destruction. I'm going to have to get the larger, sturdier, portable fan and buy rechargeable D's and charger. That's a chunk of change I wasn't planning on, but living without a fan just isn't living at all so yep. Gotta have my fan.

4) The vinegar/spray bottle for cleaning the dishes has worked out surprisingly well - although I think I will switch to peroxide using the vinegar as a secondary. Cleaning immediately after use has been the key. Living minimally here, helps. Can't eat if you don't clean the few dishes you have. Well, I could, I suppose but umm, ewwww. Death by dysentery doesn't appeal to me.

5) Organization. Oh boy. This one has been a struggle. There is absolutely no way to survive in a small space without keeping things organized and somewhere down the line I seem to have lost all my ability to get and stay organized. Seriously, this has been an ongoing adjustment. Small space organization is like building a puzzle. All these different things have to fit in, come out, go back all while pretty much sitting down and within reach. That may change if I luck out in a Cargo Van, but at the moment I'm going off the idea I'll be in a minivan. I think I may have found my Achilles heel. My dog isn't any help, he likes rearranging EVERYTHING. Bedding, trash, food in my pantry, screens in the window. He is such a pain in the @$$ sometimes.

?Organization tips? Please? Better yet, someone want to come organize my life for me so that I can survive? Yes? Maybe?

6) My cot. I have been surprisingly pleased with how comfortable it is. In fact, I have very little back pain. Something I had come to live with thinking it had to be a part of life. It is a small 23" cot, so my dog isn't very happy. He keeps trying to fit on it with me, then getting up in a huff and going to his own bed, which I'm pretty sure is hugely more comfortable than my own. Almost every night, he wakes me up nudging at me determined to crawl in with me, only to turn around a half-dozen time, lay down and then get up and go BACK to his bed. Did I mention my dog can be an @ass sometimes? This morning I was basically curled up on the bar of the cot, while my dog spread out on the other 22" of the cot (sighs). Despite my back loving the cot, I'm planning on doing a bed build in the van. If for no other reason than a good nights sleep without my dog waking me up for snuggles. Also, it is like 6 inches off the ground. Me trying to get up out of it isn't a pretty sight. Especially with my water retention issue. I'm like a swollen tick, rolling out of the cot, falling on the ground (luckily it is only 6 inches) then trying to grapple my way up into a standing position. Which, in a minivan wont' even be an option. Definitely need a bed build.

7) Clothes. I'm think I've managed to get them down to 2 duffle bags, but I realize I HATE living out of duffle bags so once I have the van - and know what I'm working with - drawers and/or hangers are in my future. My clothes are either neatly packed away, or exploded all over the place because what I needed was playing hide and seek.

Anyway, I extended my camping trip out to August because my daughter-in-law had outpatient surgery and I wanted to stay and make sure she had a little help with the kids before taking off. Originally I had turned down the house-sitting gig, but as it turns out my friend contacted me again and asked me to PLEASE come dog/house sit for him by August 20th. Looks like I'm housebound for another 12 weeks while he works in Texas, but I am bound and determined to get a couple weeks of camping in. I decided to camp my way from Michigan to Missouri staying at free campsites in Indiana, Illinois and Missouri before I am housebound. On a positive note, there is a really nice dog park to take mine and his dogs nearby, so Axel (my dog) should be happy.