Shotgun in a Van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a connoisseur of sorts regarding phrase origins...

I learned it was "going to hell in a handbasket"... from the 1700s I believe... fashioned after the basket that catches the guillotined head...meaning they were going straight to hell .... no pergatory etc. Either way, if I have time I would ask them to repent, right before I share that I have no intention of harming them but that they were standing right where I intended to shoot!

And what do you do if they then step aside two steps just before they attack?

Ditto dat last shooting range in San Francisco closed some 20 years back while rounding out my Roberts added a scope. rounds are hard to find at best, we did our best and anything weighing 150 to 225 LBS will be Game. That said last time I fired a round was my Winchester 22 in Nevada bullseye beer bottle and yes I cleaned it up.

We are discussing shotguns here right? Splatter. ;)

I had a .44 Magnum with a scope, hated it, took so long to get a sight picture it was useless

ArtW said:
I had a .44 Magnum with a scope, hated it, took so long to get a sight picture it was useless

It's time for us old fogeys to start investigating red dot sights.  The military has moved to them in a big way because they work.

TrainChaser said:
And what do you do if they then step aside two steps just before they attack?

That's why one practices.  I can hit a pheasant flushed at 20 MPH or a clay pigeon at 30, so I would have no problem with an attacker dodging towards me.  Plus, if they are coming through my door they ain't moving around much.

ArtW said:

Optimistic Paranoid said:
It's time for us old fogeys to start investigating red dot sights.  The military has moved to them in a big way because they work.

Red dot on long guns work well (I have one on my brush gun); too cumbersome on a handgun (same with a scope).  I prefer a laser for those.

-- Spiff

I've looked at a Viriden (sp) green dot laser, much more powerful then a red dot and they make one for my baby Glock. About a hundred bucks.

Rob

I like the lasers except for the reliance on electricity
I like the Ashley Express sight for quick, reasonable sight acquisition, and I could still put a laser on it, though some might snicker at the sight of a laser mounted to an old Model 13 S&W lol

Gunny said:
I've looked at a Viriden (sp) green dot laser, much more powerful then a red dot and they make one for my baby Glock. About a hundred bucks.

Rob

I prefer the Crimson Trace sights because I don't have to think to activate them.  IIRC CT makes a green laser now. (just checked, yes they do).

ArtW said:
I like the Ashley Express sight for quick, reasonable sight acquisition, and I could still put a laser on it, though some might snicker at the sight of a laser mounted to an old Model 13 S&W lol

I have both fiber optic and laser on my 1911.  I prefer the fiber optic in all but low light situations.

The dude on the receiving end of the laser ain't going to snicker.

-- Spiff

Nope, just the dudes at the range when they see that laser on my 'antique gun' :p
I love 1911s, wish I still had mine, or the 1991 I had

ArtW said:

I have an EO Tech mil spec holo sight on my AR-15 with dialed-in, flip up iron sights backing it up.  Laser sights on a handgun are accurate, but a dead giveaway of your location to a second shooter, and where HE should be shooting; just like a gun-mounted flashlight.  

I'm a 1911 guy too.  I've sold most of them I had including an early Colt Defender and a Colt 1991 stainless with ramp sights.  I still have the 1911 I built in about 1993 on an Essex frame from mostly Colt parts.  It's a mix of matte blue and stainless now.  It's a clunker, but I really enjoy it. 

My EDC is an old stainless Interarms Walther PPK/s that I've stoned down all of the sharp edges and sanded the trigger serrations down significantly on.

My only handgun at this time is the Model 13 Combat Magnum, round butt, 3" bull barrel, trigger unserrated from the factory, Hogue monogrip
Haven't stoned it, but it's not real snaggy to begin with. Only mod other then the grip is painted sights, though I'd love to put express sights on it, I can't see doing the machine work to it, maybe destroying whatever value it has
I believe at some point a PO lightened the trigger pull a fair bit
it's heavy for on person carry, but it's what I have left from having to sell off firearms to cover some expenses
My 1991 was Springfield Armory, man what a sweet machine

ArtW said:
My only handgun at this time is the Model 13 Combat Magnum, round butt, 3" bull barrel, trigger unserrated from the factory, Hogue monogrip
Haven't stoned it, but it's not real snaggy to begin with. Only mod other then the grip is painted sights, though I'd love to put express sights on it, I can't see doing the machine work to it, maybe destroying whatever value it has

IIRC, that particular variant of the M13 was the last revolver the FBI issued to their agents before they went to new fangled flat guns.  It was quite the hot gun to own for that reason for a couple of years.

But no one has yet mentioned the night vision goggles to really have good aiming/gun control. :D

LeeRevell said:
Which is why I keep mine loaded with #4 Buck.  Too much chance of over-penetration and hitting neighbors with slugs or Double-naught.
Even birdshot will blast a neat 2 inch or so hole through 3/4" plywood.

Boy does that bring back memories from 1976 in rural Texas... an old college roommate pointed an "unloaded" 12 gauge pump near me and stupidly pulled the trigger. He blew a 3-4" hole in the plywood (yes, poor folks back then used 1/4 to 3/8 ply on their walls and ceilings) within a foot of me.  
After I cleaned out my drawers, I realized that life had just about been over at the age of 19 for me...

This world isn said:
Boy does that bring back memories from 1976 in rural Texas... an old college roommate pointed an "unloaded" 12 gauge pump near me and stupidly pulled the trigger. He blew a 3-4" hole in the plywood (yes, poor folks back then used 1/4 to 3/8 ply on their walls and ceilings) within a foot of me.  
After I cleaned out my drawers, I realized that life had just about been over at the age of 19 for me...

Sheesh! Hope you wore brown pants! I'd have given the idjit a steel tube suppository.