Shotgun in a Van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah they issue permits but in any of your larger population areas the are almost impossible to get. for this reason I have considered getting the Utah permit and have looked into it. however I might soon be an Arizona resident so I will see how that goes. another note, CA doesn't recognize any other permits from other states, maybe that has something to do with it. highdesertranger

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Uhm, I have non-resident permits from NH, CT, PA, and UT.  In all four cases, I was required to PROVE I had a permit from my home state, NY, as a condition for getting a non-resident permit.

That certainly suggests that she does, indeed have to bother with the MA permit, if she intends to maintain her residence there.

Maybe there's a state that doesn't require that, but offhand, I don't know who it might be.
Arizona doesn't require a non-resident to have a CCW from his home state. I have a non-resident AZ CCW but do NOT have a Nevada (my resient state) CCW.

AZ is very pro-gun.
Bob

I am probably going to maintain MA as my resident state for a bit anyway, that could change once I hit the road if I find the state that I want to spend most of my time in. I've always thought I'd want to live in Arizona or Nevada but I won't know until I make it out there, I could end up hating it. hahaha

I already paid for and took the LTC course for MA and received my "live fire" certificate (which is required in my town) so all I have to do now is get the application and three letters of recommendation in to the town licensing office. And then it's still a 3-5 month waiting period to see if I get approved. MA is ridiculous but I am going to still bother with it and then I'll look into the license that covers the 34 states that you mentioned. The guy I took the course through also offers that one.

Thanks for all the input and reference links about the state laws, that is very helpful.

congrats and good luck on your ccw. Arizona and Nevada are polar opposites to New England. highdesertranger

If you must stay in N.E. check the laws in Maine.
That said , when I leave here , I'm headed to Pahrump NV.and becoming a rez there .
(Thanks to Bob W for the excellent info on the details !)

highdesertranger said:
congrats and good luck on your ccw.  Arizona and Nevada are polar opposites to New England.  highdesertranger

New England is more than Boston and New York! No permit whatsoever required in Vermont. Carry concealed legally as long as you're an adult and not a felon.

The downside is it's hard to get out of state permits when your resident state doesn't issue one. I have one for New Hampshire; it required only a letter from my local police department stating that to the best of their knowledge I'm not a drug user or criminal.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I'm a big fan of shotguns, especially for protection from animals like bears.  They are way more effective than any handgun.

However, It can be illegal to keep a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle.  It's the hunting laws.  There were some "hunters" who would cruise backroads, and as soon as they saw a deer, stop, jump out of their vehicle, and shoot it - or at least at it - from the road.  Completely illegal.  As a result of this, under the game laws, all rifles and shotguns used for hunting must be unloaded while being transported in a vehicle.

I'm not saying this is true everywhere, but it's certainly true in some places.  NY, for one example.

Regards
John

BTW, in a survival situation, a .22LR can be far more effective than a shotgun.  You are more likely to be shooting squirrels, rabbits, possums, raccoons, etc. than large animals like deer.

In a survival situation , how about trapping ? 
I heard that most people would die in a survival situation if they were dependant on only hunting with a gun .
The thought is that if your trapping you can set your traps and then go on with building shelter and other things that you would need., your body would only have so much energy.

Collect water if possible

Set traps

create a warm dry place to sleep to prevent hyperthermia or to keep energy levels up

Mobilesport said:
In a survival situation , how about trapping ? 
I heard that most people would die in a survival situation if they were dependant on only hunting with a gun .
The thought is that if your trapping you can set your traps and then go on with building shelter and other things that you would need., your body would only have so much energy.

I don't pretend to be an expert on this subject. 

What little I've read suggests that you need to set 2 or 3 DOZEN traps.  The people who put a handful out are the ones who complain that "Trapping doesn't work!  I never caught anything in my traps!"

This also means you need to check you trapline regularly, so other critters don't get your animals, which makes me wonder how much energy you'll save?

Finally, I suspect this really only works for the people who get out and get hands on experience with trapping.  People who wait for a survival situation to occur, and then try to build traps based on pictures in a survival book will most likely go hungry.

Raven+Squid said:
A Taurus Judge handgun will fire .410 shotgun shells (I think three pellets of OO shot per .410 shell).
It's like a small shotgun.

And as an added bonus, it's a felony in California.   Be careful with that one.

California views it as a sawed-off shotgun. My first reaction was the same as yours--how absurd--but, they have a point. 410 is a shotgun shell and nearly every state has a legal minimum of 18 inches for a shotgun barrel. How does putting a pistol grip on it change anything?

The carbines barrel is over 18 inches so it's legal.
Bob

I don't know about that seeing as you can get shot rounds for almost any pistol cartridge. even the 454 Casull. highdesertranger

There are many thousands of things I don't understand in this life.Changing a pistol into a shotgun is one of them.

Choices.  Simply...  choices.  Some likes 'em, some don't.  There are many things that make me go, "WHY!?"   But I don't tell folks they can't.  Their choice.  As equally valid as mine.

Bob Dickerson said:
There are many thousands of things I don't understand in this life.Changing a pistol into a shotgun is one of them.

Or the opposite.

I knew a guy back in the 70's that thought he was the image of badassery. He took a pair of side by side 12 gauge, and cut the barrels and stocks down.  He had a couple of rigged holsters for them like a cowboy.  We started teasing him about being a two gun quick draw.  

He fired both guns at once, and just about ripped his thumbs off from the eject levers.  

I was laughing too hard to drive him to the ER.

GotSmart said:
Or the opposite.

I knew a guy back in the 70's that thought he was the image of badassery. He took a pair of side by side 12 gauge, and cut the barrels and stocks down.  He had a couple of rigged holsters for them like a cowboy.  We started teasing him about being a two gun quick draw.  

He fired both guns at once, and just about ripped his thumbs off from the eject levers.  

I was laughing too hard to drive him to the ER.

Haha!  Only Ahnold can pull off a stunt like that.....  AFTER he's fully buffed.   ;)

akrvbob said:
But in this case their is actually some logic to it.
Bob

I disagree. At face value it seems like a loophole but it really isn't in the same category as a sawed off shotgun. A 410 is really a small caliber projectile with not much shot and a small spread. As HDR points out, there's little difference between this and shot loads of other handgun calibers. A short barrel 12 gauge shotgun is going to have some noticeable spread. That's the reason they're illegal and there's no comparison between that and a 410.

TMG51 said:
I disagree. At face value it seems like a loophole but it really isn't in the same category as a sawed off shotgun. A 410 is really a small caliber projectile with not much shot and a small spread. As HDR points out, there's little difference between this and shot loads of other handgun calibers. A short barrel 12 gauge shotgun is going to have some noticeable spread. That's the reason they're illegal and there's no comparison between that and a 410.

It ain't the 'spread' that makes a short barrel shotgun a Title II controlled weapon, it's the concealability.
As far as the size of 410 ammo...it is not at all like the 'pistol' shot available:

th.jpeg

Personally I would not want to get hit with these fired from a Judge:

tumblr_m7l5d8PBCZ1r9khx4o1_1280.jpg

I especially like the (3) .41 caliber 'discs' paired with the 12 BB's.
Getting hit with (3) or (4) .38 caliber buck shot would be no fun either.

True, not a 12 gauge, but very lethal in a small package.

Now then, how about one of these:

ser_shorty_big.jpg

Serbu Super Shorty.....Title II classification is AOW, which is only a $5 transfer tax.

BTW--AOW stands for "Any Other Weapon".....gotta love those Feds!   :rolleyes:

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    9.5 KB
  • tumblr_m7l5d8PBCZ1r9khx4o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_m7l5d8PBCZ1r9khx4o1_1280.jpg
    173.8 KB
  • ser_shorty_big.jpg
    ser_shorty_big.jpg
    35.3 KB