Making the commitment

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobwoman

Reaction score
Terrified (a little).. But, made up my mind.. I am experienced in wilderness & primitive living so I should be okay, even in my older age. Family is unsupportive and I was counting on them for help.. not gonna happen. So very sad. This is not a frivolous undertaking. I can no longer support myself in a healthy way. SS does not cover the necessities anymore, much less any niceties. Fall is upon me.. I'm way Up North. Can no longer afford rent. Must haul out the old backpacking tent etc. And find a place to park the car with two real bad tires and hunker down 'til I have the $ to get them fixed. Then get myself to BLM land in my AZ for the winter so I can save up for an older class C RV. It's a plan. I hope. Wish me good fortune please.

welcome aboard Cobwoman!
I'm almost a step ahead of you I already have the old classC but my tires suck and I'm way up north too ! Keep your stick on the ice........

LoL. Keep my stick on the ice! Great idea. Go Redwings! Thanks for the thought☺ Bon chance with the tires.

Hello and Welcome.  Although you seem to be in dire straits right now, it does sound like you have good skills to help you out.  I've lived in SD and seen snow in Sept up there.  You mentioned SS, for some of us today is payday...Whoopee!  Maybe you can get your tires and do whatever you need to before you head south.

I wish you well and safe travels                    Jewellann

You can get used tires from craigeslist or even a tire shop. That will save you money. I've done it. Even taking a 5000 miles road trip afterwards.

Definitely wishing you good fortune!

You're among supportive friends here Cobwoman! There's a whole group of woman in the same circumstances as you. I really hope you can make it to the RTR this coming January in Arizona where you can meet a lot of us.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Just a thought  here. 

If you get some help at a service station or from someone who knows tires,  write down the size of your tire and your vehicle make and model. 

Then check out some Automotive wrecking yards.  You may be able to buy used tires on the wheel rim ready to go cheaply, and give them your old tires on the rim in exchange.   If you find one where you can swap like this you may want to check the condition of your spare and purchase a better spare...but make sure it fits before buying it.   If you can come up with a few dollars they may make you a better deal on swapping all 5 of your
tires for better ones. 

Just make sure the tires are in good condition and weren't damaged in the wreck.

It sounds like you have the skills and knowledge to make this happen. It may be a little scary but you'll make it work. If you have a trustworthy mechanic ask them if they have two decent used tires for a decent price. I don't know what kind of vehicle you have but I've gotten two very decent used tires from my mechanic for $40 in the past and they've lasted me quite some time. Even if they cost me twice that it would have been worth it because around here it's at least $80 a tire.

Good luck and keep us posted. You have plenty of support here. :)

Welcome, Cobwoman. Second the suggestion for used tires, try asking around at places like the Subaru dealer since everything they sell is AWD. As I recently found out, mess up one tire and you have to replace all four... so three VERY decent tires went on the crap heap.

Welcome Cobwoman. Sounds like you are getting things in line. This is a great place to learn and share. :)

Queen said:
 As I recently found out, mess up one tire and you have to replace all four... so three VERY decent tires went on the crap heap.

Yeah, the Subaru dealers or tires stores have got to be making some money selling the decent tires that come off when an AWD gets one knocked out. I've had to replace one full set once that still had over half their life left. Another time the mileage was low enough I only had to replace the one. That said, I've had AWD for ~3/4s of my driving career and those are the only times in the past 40+/- years. Knock on wood.

Welcome to the forum. If you are living in the vehicle, no need to take the freeway. Motel 6 turned your light off.
Some places you will have no choice, but even then, the minimum speed will get you there. Being warm with bad tires beats being cold with bad tires.