Solar Cooking?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raven+Squid, I think the SolarFlair is well made, it functions as advertised!
-AK

I bought a Sun Oven before realizing other options were available. It does get nice and hot, and it has a door that shuts on it. It also came with accessories that are useful. I haven't made much use of it because of time, but I am going to browse the cooking threads for ideas.

I'll be doing some solar cooking for the next three days.  Chicken n rice.  Pot roast n veggies.  Sausage n veggies.  Not necessarily in that order.  

I use a basic kit from http://www.solarcookers.org/index.php  because they help on a global scale.  The kit I have from them is NLA except for the folding basic cardboard unit.

I have been using a Sport and Sun oven for three years and recently added the SunFlair. It is not the same as the first two but certainly get the job done given time. I think a folding kit is much better for the dweller than the oven due to the room they take to store. That said the oven are nicer and get hotter faster.

I hope to have a solar cook off at the next RTR to go along with my talk on solar cooking.

I was wondering how many of the dwellers out there use solar ovens/dehydrators?

We use a solar oven - we made it ourselves and documented the build process for anyone interested in doing the same. It works surprisingly well! And it's small enough to be portable.

I noticed the pots on these do not have lids. Do you have any issues with bugs? The big wooden one has a door over it So I am guessing it is bug free. But seeing the open pots in the one has me wondering. Did the lids come off just for pictures? Would you need to put on a screen or not?

I noticed the pots on these do not have lids. Do you have any issues with bugs? The big wooden one has a door over it So I am guessing it is bug free. But seeing the open pots in the one has me wondering. Did the lids come off just for pictures? Would you need to put on a screen or not?
No issues with bugs. Once the oven door is closed it is totally sealed. And no we didn't take off any lids for pictures - it's a baking tray (which are always open topped).

I just wondered it is fruit fly season here and it takes about 2 seconds for them to descend on anything left uncovered. this looks fun to try out.

It sure is. And tastes good too. You can always cover the food with something like this to avoid fruit flies:

fly-net.jpg

Latest posts