Rocket stove and thermos cooking

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Popcorn, bacon and eggs, Spanish rice, chicken soup (not canned), spaghetti sauce (not canned) and pasta, mashed tatos and gravy, roasted zapped veggies, meatloaf, and chicken pot pie. Again just about anything can be cooked in microwave just don't expect it to brown or caramelize well.
I think I would be ok with a thermos cooking if it was not meat or dairy and if It didn't have to be setting around for more than an hour or so. I wonder what it would do to pasta? If I started reheating sauce and added boiling water to the hot sauce and then added the hard pasta..... Would the pasta be done in 1 to 1 1/2 hours so if I was hiking to a great spot then eat my pasta there, nice and hot. Now if I carry the pasta who is carrying the wine ......

Popcorn, bacon and eggs, Spanish rice, chicken soup (not canned), spaghetti sauce (not canned) and pasta, mashed tatos and gravy, roasted zapped veggies, meatloaf, and chicken pot pie. Again just about anything can be cooked in microwave just don't expect it to brown or caramelize well.
I think I would be ok with a thermos cooking if it was not meat or dairy and if It didn't have to be setting around for more than an hour or so. I wonder what it would do to pasta? If I started reheating sauce and added boiling water to the hot sauce and then added the hard pasta..... Would the pasta be done in 1 to 1 1/2 hours so if I was hiking to a great spot then eat my pasta there, nice and hot. Now if I carry the pasta who is carrying the wine ......
For thermos cooking you have to have all the ingredients in the pot heated to above boiling temperatures for a number of minutes before removing the pot from a heat source. Even the pot itself has to be very hot. The room temperature you are using the thermos cookin in is also a factor, too cold of a space and it could quickly lower the temperature of your thermal cooker which will invalidate the cooking directions based on an average living space temperature. Follow the instructions carefully to get good results, it is physics based on exacting calculations of temperature, it is not a MAGICAL cooking solution.