Solar Cooking?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konaexpress

Reaction score
I was wondering how many of the dwellers out there use solar ovens/dehydrators? I know they can be a bit bulky but they use free energy, the sun.  Or is this way of cooking and heating water more suited for S&B use? So like I said, just wondering.

John

There are solar cookers that fold up to a smaller package. I agree the box cookers can take up a lot of room but they work so well.

I have never done it but I find it interesting. akblack I glanced at your blog entry. you said it took 90 minutes to cook the quiche. did you have to track the sun? highdesertranger

Hidesertranger, I probably moved the oven once or twice in 90 mins. It's better if you can track the sun when solar cooking at high temps. It's easy to do... just sit in the shade with a cold beverage of your liking and occasionally redirect the oven to keep the shadow cast behind the oven as best you can!
-AK

Here at the house the box ovens are nice but I have lots of room. I wouldn't have room for them if we went full time but a few of the Solarflair would work.

thanks akblack. the part about sitting in the shade with a cold beverage sounds like when I do laundry, I think I could do this. highdesertranger

I have a Global Sun Oven and love it, but it's size is a big problem in a van. In the winter when I'm in the cargo trailer I use it often but it goes into the storage with the trailer when I start my summer travels. No room for it.
Bob

I would think this is a great way to make bread! Anyone doing that?

John

akrvbob said:
I have a Global Sun Oven and love it, but it's size is a big problem in a van. In the winter when I'm in the cargo trailer I use it often but it goes into the storage with the trailer when I start my summer travels. No room for it.
Bob

Maybe a diy take down one for travel?

John

John I make bread, cakes, muffins, but my favorite are pull apart rolls. Toss some frozen dough balls in the pan and by the time the sun is up they have risen. We have fresh bread on sunny days by breakfast.

The all season cooker is folded cardboard covered in metallic tape. I am sure it could be done in a way that could be folded down for storage. The simple DiY versions can be no more than a windshield cover folded right with a cooking bag and a black pot.

I have a link at home for lots of home built plans. I'll get it up later.

I'm starting to like the smell of this thread !

I would think these would be good for baking as I read that the camping ovens don't work that great. Also I think about all that gas running long enough to cook baked goods or to roast a chicken and things like that.

John

Usually sun oven are black inside and you can use any cookware with different results. I don't use black pans when I am making cakes because the pan is part of the heat and the outside of the cake cooks too fast.

Solar cookers are usually shiny and reflect the light onto a dark pan that absorbs it and that produces heat. Luckily the Flair comes with pots as do the ovens.

The easiest way to cook is until it is done. Different sun levels produce different heat levels as does different types and amounts of food affect the heat in the oven. With meat use a thermometer and check breads and cakes often as they get close.

Konaexpress said:
I would think these would be good for baking as I read that the camping ovens don't work that great. Also I think about all that gas running long enough to cook baked goods or to roast a chicken and things like that.

John

I enjoy solar cooking but prefer the bread I bake in a reflector-type oven--small campfire required however. 

Link: https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Campfire-Bread-Baking