Best coffee maker for van life?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the thought of Cowboy Coffee, I've camped with numerous family members in Texas and they boiled the coffee in those blue & white speckled enamelware coffee pots. Then added saved egg shells to the brewed coffee. As they said....to settle the grounds.

81vBeXlmTlL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

Does it work ? Consider this:

Why add egg shells to coffee?

The egg's purpose is twofold. First, the alkaline pH of the eggs and their shells balance out the acidic quality of coffee grounds and make for a smoother cup. Secondly, the protein in the eggs coagulate as the coffee boils and collect the free-floating grounds without the need for a coffee filter.

I'm not much of a coffee snob myself. If I'm buying instant my favorite is Nestle Mountain Blend. Then about any instant I can find at a Dollar Tree.

I use the OXO pour over that WanderingRose linked above. With the reservoir on the top I can just dump the water in and don't have to pour it slowly. It drips the water evenly down on the grounds. I use an electric kettle to heat my water, but if I was in a situation where power was an issue I could heat it in a pan on my butane stove. I make a huge mug of coffee each morning, and most mornings I end up adding water to the reservoir to top off the mug even after filling it to the brim the first time.

Currently have a typical 4/5 cup coffee maker that I was thinking of bringing into my minivan.. however since I kinda want to go from drinking 4 cups of coffee to 2 cups I been thinking about trying out the Mainstays Single Serve Coffee Maker. Granted it only brews 14oz. However right now I use 2 table spoons in my 4 cups brew so I think if I brew 3 table spoons in to make my 14oz of coffee it be stronger coffee but less water while also downsizing as well.. I don't know my coffee stats but I do feel drinking 4 cups is a bit to much.. would love to find a 16oz brew so then when I mix in what 4oz of almond milk I'd have 20oz and be done.

it says it's 800watts which my powerstation has a 800 watt inverter so a bit hesitant given its right at the limit, however should be fine right?

I have a BLUETTI Portable Power Station EB70. I also have to get a new travel mug that is shorter as well. not super happy about that but then I can get rid of the glass 4 cups coffee maker as that gotta be a far bigger waste of watts and not very minivan safe given glass can break so easily.

The coffee maker uses K-cups AND coffee grounds as I would be using the coffee grounds option.

I'm really not even sure I'm making good quality coffee now with only 2 tablespoons.. idk.. maybe some of you know your coffee brew has better advice.

Also I really don't want a home self pour-over device. I have that as a backup option only. I also want to make hot water for tea, and rawmen noodles in my coffee maker as well from time to time too. Looking forward to getting some good feedback and advice.
I finally gave up on coffee makers and started drinking instant.