Best coffee maker for van life?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the thought of Cowboy Coffee, I've camped with numerous family members in Texas and they boiled the coffee in those blue & white speckled enamelware coffee pots. Then added saved egg shells to the brewed coffee. As they said....to settle the grounds.

81vBeXlmTlL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

Does it work ? Consider this:

Why add egg shells to coffee?

The egg's purpose is twofold. First, the alkaline pH of the eggs and their shells balance out the acidic quality of coffee grounds and make for a smoother cup. Secondly, the protein in the eggs coagulate as the coffee boils and collect the free-floating grounds without the need for a coffee filter.

I'm not much of a coffee snob myself. If I'm buying instant my favorite is Nestle Mountain Blend. Then about any instant I can find at a Dollar Tree.

I use the OXO pour over that WanderingRose linked above. With the reservoir on the top I can just dump the water in and don't have to pour it slowly. It drips the water evenly down on the grounds. I use an electric kettle to heat my water, but if I was in a situation where power was an issue I could heat it in a pan on my butane stove. I make a huge mug of coffee each morning, and most mornings I end up adding water to the reservoir to top off the mug even after filling it to the brim the first time.