Hidden homeless crisis...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting that, mpruet.

Some interesting stuff there. I like how some cities are providing safe overnight parking areas -- seems like a good alternative program. That way they can ask people to move out during the day but feel free to return to a safe place at night. That's one way to help.

Johnny

Not only did James and Haydee Charles provide overnight shelter, they raised nearly $35,000 to secure a more stable living situation for more than two dozen homeless families and individuals through their organization, HALO Now, (Helping and Leading Others Now).
There is no mention of HOWA.  I wonder if they see HOWA as part of the problem (by encouraging vandwelling) and not part of the solution (for those who want to be nomads). 

Caitlin Frumerie, executive director of the Rhode Island Coalition for the Homeless, says the state has more than double the number of people experiencing homelessness than last year, some of whom have moved into their vehicles. Though more safe parking lots are popping up in Colorado and Wisconsin, Frumerie has not been able to persuade a single business to open its parking lot at night so dislocated residents have a safe and legal place to stay. Retrieving their impounded vehicles has become a line item in her budget.
Does "homelessness than last year, some of whom have moved into their vehicles" sound like someone who would support vandwelling?  Living in a vehicle that does not run is different than being able to travel according to one's wishes in a van, RV, schoolie, etc.

Those who know me and read my posts know that I’m stuck in a rehab I came to Florida at the end of November and half of my time has been spent in the hospital and rehab. The thing is that there is the social workers and other staff think that it’s terrible that I’m homeless living in a van and they need to find me a home. They actually think it’s part of their job to get me into a safe place. They are encouraging me to go to recommended websites and look for senior citizens high-rise apartments in the area. They have even made inquiries on my behalf without my consent.They act as if I have a mental deficiency and need to be “taken care of“. They have no understanding of those who are homeless on purpose. Or better put those of us who choose to live in unconventional housing. These are the people who are going to cause us grief as more and more people try to “cure” our problem. I’m not gonna do anything about it right away but after I’m discharged from here I’m gonna let the administrator know how I feel. After all in Florida a large amount of their income comes from people who live as Nomads and snowbirds. This year with Covid the Canadians are not able to come down and it’s hurting their economy.

SLB_SA said:

There is no mention of HOWA.  I wonder if they see HOWA as part of the problem (by encouraging vandwelling) and not part of the solution (for those who want to be nomads). 

HOWA is a very new and very small organization. We aren’t talking Goodwill here. I’m sure they have never heard of HOWA, Bob Wells or any other tiny group like we have.

do-good·er
a well-meaning but unrealistic or interfering philanthropist or reformer.

Cammalu said:
HOWA is a very new and very small organization. We aren’t talking Goodwill here. I’m sure they have never heard of HOWA, Bob Wells or any other tiny group like we have.
The lack of research is one reason I was critical of the article in the first place.

Sure seems a lot of people are choosing this lifestyle as the prices of RVs are well above what most people could afford in good economic times.

I'm not the first person to point this out, but many people who are living in their vehicles would love nothing better than to be living in some kind of "real" house and having the income to pay for it.

And others of us would choose something like RV/van dwelling regardless of our incomes.

But there is a real crisis when a growing number of people can no longer afford "real" housing, and are being forced into living in their vehicles. We all know RV/van life is not for everyone.

There are a couple of key points that I think should be considered based on the article.  

First of all, the article acknowledges that the number of people that are losing their homes is increasing and is expected to increase this next year.  That will lead to an increase in the number of people living in their vehicles.  If they are fortunate, they will have an RV or van, otherwise only a car.  The unfortunate ones might end up with only a tent. 

(I’m not trying to downgrade living out of a car.  It’s just that living out of a car is considerably more extreme when you’ve been living in a multi-room house. —- And yes I’ve spent some time camping in a Prius...)

Secondly - society in general does not understand van life.  It considers folks living in an RV or van as living in misery and a state of depression.  It doesn’t understand that a lot of folks consider RV/Van/Car life a liberating, or that a lot of folks enjoy a minimalistic lifestyle.  

Myself, I don’t have to live in an RV, but I chose to live a portion of my life in one because I like to see new things, have new experiences, meet new and interesting folks, and travel.  I also like to have a place to sleep and cook wherever I am —- ;-)

JohnnyM said:
Thanks for posting that, mpruet.

Some interesting stuff there. I like how some cities are providing safe overnight parking areas -- seems like a good alternative program. That way they can ask people to move out during the day but feel free to return to a safe place at night. That's one way to help.

Johnny
Except that every time you have to move you are burning fuel with no money coming in. Shelter type parking should not have to move unless they are given gas money (not happening).
-crofter

nature lover said:
They actually think it’s part of their job to get me into a safe place. 
actually it is part of their job if they are a social worker. maybe they don't understand that van life is safe, or that you had chosen the life? good luck with them trying to place you without your consent though...i would hope there are protections for the individual's rights down there but who knows these days.

crofter said:
Except that every time you have to move you are burning fuel with no money coming in. Shelter type parking should not have to move unless they are given gas money (not happening).
-crofter
I agree but there are probably many more retail locations willing to have overnight camper provided they are only there from, for example, 10pm to 6am so that the campers do not take up customer or employee parking during business hours.  In addition, a person needs "daily support" (e.g. money, food stamps, food bank) for the necessities; requiring the expenditure of fuel insures that all of the camping vehicles actually run.  The alternative is a much more limited supply of camping spots for vehicles.

To be more clear, if you can't drive your vehicle five miles per day, you probably can't feed yourself either and you have bigger problems than just an overnight parking spot.

In my experience, most dwellers do not move constantly. They get where they are going and stay a while, maybe 2 weeks even. This way of dwelling conserves fuel and money.

To move around several times a day, as stealth parking in urban areas requires, you would need a source of income to pay for all the gas. This way of dwelling is more wasteful of fuel and money, and requires a higher level of income. 

What I would be most concerned about this winter is frostbite injuries to the hands and feet resulting in disability. Inexperienced dwellers who lack the proper clothing and equipment for winter temperatures are at risk.
-crofter

crofter said:
In my experience, most dwellers do not move constantly. They get where they are going and stay a while, maybe 2 weeks even. This way of dwelling conserves fuel and money.

That is only doable on BLM or other public lands. I would think most homeless with no or reduced income will need to stay around cities where they can have a chance to find employment and receive social services. In cities it's awful hard to stay in one place for more than a couple of days.

It would be a balancing act between having enough camping spots versus having more convenient camping rules.

According to this article, Seattle is not currently enforcing the 72 hour rule anymore, but used to be 72 hours (3 days) on street parking allowed. Unlike public land rules, you do not have to leave the area for a period of time. One guy was just parking across the street each time he had to move. The difference in some west coast cities is that social workers are doing their jobs and advocating for homeless people.
-crofter
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...meless-vehicle-campers-fights-to-stay-funded/

And an older article when they eliminated of the safe lots.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...y-for-thousands-of-people-living-in-vehicles/

For some it would come down to the choice between saving gas or having a well-lighted place that is safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.