Nomadland wins best picture award...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
txmnjim said:
I bet it would be fun and definitely cool to
meet up with folks on a similar path...

I did recognize several of the vehicles in the desert from YouTube channels.  I've come close to meeting a couple of sailors who had sailing channels as well.  Went as far as to give the boat of one channel a good looking over when they put it up for sale.
It is a small world if you travel enough.

LERCA said:
Why will no one tell me how to watch this film? Chloe is a close friend of my friend’s daughter and a very talented woman. I can’t judge the film. I’ve only seen various trailers that I loved.

Maybe because this is not a choice and I’m heartsick over it. I’m living in a car that’s way too small with a back in agony, dog that hates it and not enough money to pay my bills and feed her. I’m uncomfortable and sad every day and wish I was dead and as someone told me in private on here if it gets bad enough I’ll end it. So stop criticizing the other side the nomadic reality. There have been enough lollipop unicorn movies on the topic.

I’ve met her and believe me they don’t turn over that kind of money to untalented filmmakers. You can hate the film but there is no conspiracy here.
You make a good point,  the movie actually does a good job balancing showing you the beauty of life on the road, AND showing the downsides and the things that can go wrong.

Here is a link Nomadland

Thank you. I did finally see it and it was nowhere like the book nor anywhere near as good and far far more depressing. Don’t think it deserves an award but anytime an actress goes without makeup and stares a lot with a glum expression they get an award.

Funny, I did not find it depressing, though it had many depressing moments, But I understand what they were trying to do, show both sides of that life, since the protagonist was kind of forced into that life it leaned more gloomy, I imagine if the protagonist chose the life it would have leaned happier with the occasional look at the downsides.  

I Mean they would show her skinny dipping in a river or looking at amazing scenery then a minute later a scene where she is crapping in a bucket in her van.

ChileSauceCritic said:
Funny, I did not find it depressing, though it had many depressing moments, But I understand what they were trying to do, show both sides of that life, since the protagonist was kind of forced into that life it leaned more gloomy, I imagine if the protagonist chose the life it would have leaned happier with the occasional look at the downsides.  

I Mean they would show her skinny dipping in a river or looking at amazing scenery then a minute later a scene where she is crapping in a bucket in her van.

Well, that's kind of how i[size=small]t really is, isn'[size=small]t i[size=small]t?[/size][/size][/size]

jacqueg said:

Well, that's kind of how i[size=small]t really is, isn'[size=small]t i[size=small]t?[/size][/size][/size]

Well I'm not a full or part time nomad yet, but that's how it was when I used to take road trips in a van I had in my 20's so I imagine being full time in a vans it's an even more extreme contrast of good and bad lol.

I have seen Nomadland 3 times now.
It somehow really got it's hooks into me, and I get something new out of it with each viewing.
A big thumbs up from me.

I has it's hooks in me too and I know why, I've been where Fern was.  Working through the grief.

I watched it Monday, going to watch it again later this morning.

Latest posts