Nomadland wins best picture award...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t get it. It was pretty drab and boring I thought. But the acting was really great by non actors I thought. Especially Swankie.

I haven’t seen her on here in forever.

I think the pace and sort of ambiance of the movie, was intended to reflect the "feeling" of the lifestyle. I mostly only watch sci-fi and scary stuff, but this movie still kepte interested.

I felt like it gave a message of community, so hopefully people who watch it who didn't choose to live in their vehicles, will feel more hopeful and seek out that community.

I liked seeing the portrayal of the conflict between those who chose and seek the freedom of life without being tied down to a location, and those who are stuck in the idea that home has to be in a traditional house stuck in the same spot for all of eternity.

desert_sailing said:
awards are rarely handed out in a vacuum.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/...-the-communist-party-is-in-the-directors-seat

nonadland is distrubited by a component of disney and directed/produced by Cloe Zhao
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloé_Zhao
Point taken.
Of all awards that could be given, Nomadland was the least deserving of best picture.
The grayness and the sunless days of this movie have scarred my soul for eternity! :-/

Maybe Disney wants to compliantly sell the movie in China, to show how desperately sad the American nomads are ?

Sofisintow said:
Maybe Disney wants to compliantly sell the movie in China, to show how desperately sad the American nomads are ?

I didn't get an impression of sadness, just introspection about sadness in the past. In the end, there was a letting go of that sadness, allowing for emotional freedom as well as physical freedom.

Why will no one tell me how to watch this film? Chloe is a close friend of my friend’s daughter and a very talented woman. I can’t judge the film. I’ve only seen various trailers that I loved.

Maybe because this is not a choice and I’m heartsick over it. I’m living in a car that’s way too small with a back in agony, dog that hates it and not enough money to pay my bills and feed her. I’m uncomfortable and sad every day and wish I was dead and as someone told me in private on here if it gets bad enough I’ll end it. So stop criticizing the other side the nomadic reality. There have been enough lollipop unicorn movies on the topic.

I’ve met her and believe me they don’t turn over that kind of money to untalented filmmakers. You can hate the film but there is no conspiracy here.

LERCA are you stuck by yourself somewhere? There are plenty that would be happy to have you join there groups.

Lots of women are gathering in around Plomosa road in Quartzsite right now.

LERCA said:
Why will no one tell me how to watch this film? Chloe is a close friend of my friend’s daughter and a very talented woman. I can’t judge the film. 

its only available on Hulu from what i gathered.

Boy, it’s amazing how different people can be! I didn’t see anything dreary about “Nomadland” at all. Sure, most of the characters are living on fumes financially. Some shit happens, yes. The main character herself has experienced tremendous loss, and she comes across people who are at the end of their time on earth. So what? That’s life. Fern also comes across critters and rocks and clear water and wide vistas, camaraderie and genuineness and compassion. Things many people don’t see in a lifetime. Life is not black or white. I know a lot of people go to the movies to escape the grey area, and that’s valid. It’s why Disney princesses are so popular. But the truth is that the mundane reality of life and death has poetry to it, and this movie captures that really, really well. I prefer that poetry myself.

I'm currently stuck in the alternate universe of suburbia taking care of an elderly woman who is terrified and slowly losing pieces of herself with nothing to hold on to but a television schedule that puts Family Feud in front of her five times a day, so I already know that life contains sadness, and I’m handling it, because that’s what humans do for each other. But if I could take my mother back to the world I love, and show her a buffalo lumbering along beside the road, a tree bigger the anything she’s ever seen, or waves slapping against a towering shoreline, both she and I would be able to do so much more than handle it. I can’t think of a more joyful universe to be sad in.

LERCA said:
Why will no one tell me how to watch this film? Chloe is a close friend of my friend’s daughter and a very talented woman. 
 Her other films are terrific. I didn't really even understand what that comment about China was supposed to mean.

As far as watching the movie goes I don't think it's available anywhere right now. it was streaming through Lincoln Center for a short time.

Cammalu thank you so much. Right now yes, I’m in a really bad situation that would take too long to explain. I have literally one year (if I can do it) or maybe sooner then I’m free forever and hopefully you’ll allow me to join you. I’m living on a few hundred dollars a month trying to save to fix my car up. I need four new tires for one example.

I’m watching the movie right now. I was able to do so-thank you to those who pm’d me with help.
Nothing in the world like the book which was sad and real yet upbeat at the same time. And I feel the book was much more realistic but I have to wait till I finish the movie to give a fair review.

Firebuild said:
 Her other films are terrific. I didn't really even understand what that comment about China was supposed to mean.

As far as watching the movie goes I don't think it's available anywhere right now. it was streaming through Lincoln Center for a short time.
I think that it’s planned to be on Hulu starting Feb. as part of the national release.  But only on premium plans.

The book definitely shows both sides better; they're the same in name only. But on its own I think the movie is worthy of all its hype.

I liked both but the book much better for the reasons given above. The book was non-fiction about the lives of nomads and the reasons they were on the road. It wasn’t about one person. The movie was fiction and kind of sad and down and the book gave all sides and wasn’t sad. The author also wrote a lot about workampers. Gosh I admire those people. I wouldn’t last ten minutes.
Anyway just my opinion. I hope everyone gets to see both!

Latest posts