Hidden homeless crisis...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
slow2day said:
It's 2.3 million :thumbsup:

Still way too many.
it is varied and way more than that low number actually
from the net:  [font=Roboto, sans-serif]There are [/font][font=Roboto, sans-serif]five[/font][font=Roboto, sans-serif] types of prisons in the United States, including those for military personnel and juveniles. There are different types of prisons for military personnel, juveniles, and political agitators. Inmates at medium security prisons are usually housed in cells.

[/font]
--------just saying prison stats in US is not enough from a google search, one has to find ALL the prison stats...it is ALOT!

So what # do you come up with? 20 million?

My admittedly quick search found basically what you're saying:

How many prisoners are in the US 2020?

The American criminal justice system holds almost 2.3 million people in 1,833 state prisons, 110 federal prisons, 1,772 juvenile correctional facilities, 3,134 local jails, 218 immigration detention facilities, and 80 Indian Country jails as well as in military prisons, civil commitment centers, state psychiatric institutions...

BTW: We're having a little thread drift as the original topic was the newly homeless forced into living in their vehicles by the COVID and economic crisis.

slow2day said:
 6 generations back would be 150 years ago 
 New Orleans is a perfect example,  start  having kids when 14 and 15 years old, don't know any better and nothing else to do.. yes, your right, probably more like 3 to 4 generations. The cycle just doesn't stop. I have always felt  (until someone changes my way of thinking)  that if you feed a problem,  the problem just gets bigger.  I am not much of a bleeding heart for people who don't get off their ass and work for their purchasing power.

[size=small]Matlock wrote: The easiest solution has always been to address the bottom 25% of a population. You want to solve a big chunk of the homeless problem, solve the education problem.[/size]

20 million in prison, another 34 million in poverty (2019 census),

[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Education and Crime both [/font]Very relevant and not off topic at all imo in a open discussion on the homeless problem in america. A great point on the topic and something to consider and prehaps one of the root causes[/size]

In this country’s economic state a person with little or no education and little or no family to economically support them their odds of surviving working a minimum wage job is nonexistent. As they near retirement it gets worse and they loose their housing if they weren’t homeless already. Like it or not these people become desperate and affect your and everyone’s life in this country. Unfortunately the really rich down to those just making it have decided not to invest in our country by dealing with the problem but instead try to just stop spending money so they themselves have more in a country with more and more problems and more and more desperate people as a few get really rich and everyone else gets poorer as goods get more expensive. The lack of education, an opportunity to get a job at a living wage, pension and medical care are all reasons many people are involuntarily without shelter never the less a house. Many of us choose to be nomadic as it is less expensive but all of us must get a newer means of living/moving eventually. I don’t think any of us think we will be able to do it cheaper than we have in the past.

I'm closing this thread before it goes too far off-topic or becomes contentious. I think everyone has had a chance to express their opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.