Visual map of van conversion companies and services

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anothertry

Reaction score
I searched but couldn't find a Google Maps page of van conversion companies and services located in the USA or entire world on one map.
Maybe the community can crowd-source and create such a visual list?
Maybe an admin could use a google account to create a viewable map with placemarkers as a kmz file.

From my initial research on van conversion companies in the USA I found they are mostly located in the West with a few central and southern locations.  I will update this post with a few dozen companies but feel free to list what you know below.
Eventually a forum moderator can take ownership of this thread if they would like to keep it updated.

A related subject is the lack of community garage work spaces that the public can use for DIY van conversions and similar projects.  Not everyone has the space to work on a conversion and doing it on the street or property that isn't yours is illegal.

I posted a Craigslist wanted ad here in the Parking/Storage section and found a few more people in the Hudson Valley, NY area who need a similar space for upfitting a cargo van, converting a school bus and a camper trailer to live in so it shows there is a need for some type of community garage work space.
The Covid situation has increased the search for alternative/survival living and if we had such spaces already in place it would have helped people make their transition easier and not end up homeless or worse.

So it makes me wonder if some new type of place could be created, like a "maker-space" for vehicle work/conversions for those who need to rent it short term, whether for repairs or bigger projects.  Another option would be a vehicle service building related to some college/university program.

Check this article here for a similar concept.
There are so many abandoned buildings and garages in the USA so there is potential.
I'm not familiar with the zoning rules and I don't have the money to start such a place myself, maybe someone more savvy could figure it out. 
I've also seen some biodiesel vans/buses in the New Paltz, NY area so there is some interest here for other unique vehicle projects. 

I also recommend using the search terms: garage, pole barn, barn, farm barn, etc to broaden the results and map radius for people searching for garages they can rent for conversion projects.

Since most things have been going mobile, getting smaller, the cost of living/housing is too high and now the Corona recession/eviction is upon us, people will be looking for these types of places more into the future.

anothertry said:
I searched but couldn't find a Google Maps page of van conversion companies and services located in the USA or entire world on one map.

Maybe an admin could use a google account to create a viewable map with placemarkers as a kmz file.
Yes, good idea. Why don't you do that yourself. You know exactly what is needed.

Try "Custom Campervans" or "Custom Motorhomes".