Hidden homeless crisis...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
homeless FORCED and not wanting it is gonna go down alot now point blank. economics and foreclosures of 'covid' crap and more stress of bad was there already, triple it now sooner than ya think.

wanting to simplify and being ok with van life, cool--and our mindset, sure.....others, nope. BIG DIFF

those in the first sentence I typed have no 'dealings with 'wanna be van dwellers or full timers on the road' at all.

so very clearly distinct always to me.

bad times coming for many :(

WanderingRose said:
Tell those well-meaning helpers  “I am not homeless, I are a VanDweller”.
I suppose having an income and camping does feel different from being destitute and living in your car. But once anyone learns dweller skills they will never see S&B as an essential form of housing again.

If urban areas had adequate public bathroom facilities and warming /cooling facilities, public trash receptacles, and public parks for their population would not be such a big deal for new dwellers with few resources. All of these things used to exist in cities and have been eliminated.
-crofter

If only public restrooms were used just for toileting needs, rather than for other transactions of various forms.

One of the needs in this country is for more subsidized housing for low income households, which would make an enormous difference for many populations.

And a minimum wage that is above poverty level.

I'm from Hawaii and regularly return to visit (went last month COVID 19 be Danged). We've got a major homeless problem that keeps building. Waikiki looks like the Tenderloin in San Fran at times and the nicest part of the beach stinks of urine. Really getting out of control. They've built a nice little small house complex out by Keehi Lagoon and the airport but, due to strict enforcement of no substances, a curfew, and required house keeping standards, the place is rarely beyond 50% capacity. The Hi.gov had cracked down hard on people coming to the island to live on the streets thanks to ultra low airfares and our great climate. Unless you've had a negative COVID test within 72 hours of final departure to the islands, a place to stay for 14 days if you plan to quarantine, and / or a return ticket. The authorities will detain the individual at the airport and send them back to origin on the next available flight. Harsh but necesary when you consider the small size of Hawaii.

WanderingRose said:
If only public restrooms were used just for toileting needs, rather than for other transactions of various forms....
Why we can't have nice things. This problem was solved in the olden days by bathroom monitors who collected a fee for their services.

But does not remove the responsibility of tax funded urban areas to provide these basic services to the public. 
-crofter

RoamerRV428 said:
homeless FORCED and not wanting it is gonna go down alot now point blank.  economics and foreclosures of 'covid' crap and more stress of bad was there already, triple it now sooner than ya think.
I'm not trying to be unkind but could you say this in english?  I don't understand what you are trying to say.

When you say "gonna go down alot now point blank" do you mean that the current extremely cold weather is going to convince people on the edge of financial crisis to avoid vanlife and hang onto S&B with all their strength?

I don't understand your meaning.  I am trying to correct a person's use of english who is on the other side of the world (he is one of my PhD students).  Do you know what the word "least" means?  He doesn't seem to understand (and his english is outstanding). It is driving me crazy.  Maybe this is why your lack of clarity annoys me. :p :D

Homelessness is and has been a major problem for decades. The crisis is getting worse by the day and will continue to do so. If you think giving homeless person a house or a place to park is gonna solve the problem you are (IMO) misguided. I have done quite a bit of volunteer work over the years and from my experience there is only a small percentage of those who will make it back to some stability. Many of the homeless are unemployable, have medical issues, mental illness, alcohol, drug abuse and simply have lost all hope. The longer you are on the street these problems only get worse I mean can you imagine that a “homeless person” can run up a million dollar hospital bill in a single year because of ER visits and poor health. This video is over two years old I remember watching it back in the day and it broke my heart.

I used to drive a shuttle Bus for the VA and would go out to Veterans homes and bring them into there appointments. A LOT of them lived at the homeless shelter. And to some of them it was a game they liked to play, not all of them, there are some that really wanted the help that is offered. But far too many of them like to game the system.

It was really sad to see so many Vets like this. The VA has many programs designed to get people off the street and into affordable housing. They have programs designed to hep with metal health issues, and so many like to play the system for even more than is offered.

Yes homelessness is not only not having shelter but for many the necessity of having a support system to insure everything possible to help the person survive is available to them and in some cases required of them. Many large close families with help from the government, charities, churches and volunteer groups used to and still do to some point provide this service but as the poor get poorer and lack medical insurance, opportunities for jobs above poverty level and affordable housing it just gets worse. When the VA stopped guaranteed educational benefits and started handing out pain medication like candy it didn’t help.

That's what happening in Hawaii. The cost of living and - in particular - housing is growing at rates that far exceed gains in income. Pretty much everyone in the middle to lower middle class and down works at least 2 jobs, shares a home with 2-3 generations of family, scratches for whatever they can get out of the community and still have a losing time trying to survive. Hawaii is a tropical paradise for the wealthy, tourists, and the military. For everyone else it can be a choice slice of tropical hell... Especially now that they have effectively destroyed their economy by shutting off tourism. The state economy is a one trick pony - Tourism.

SLB_SA said:
I'm not trying to be unkind but could you say this in english?  I don't understand what you are trying to say.

When you say "gonna go down alot now point blank" do you mean that the current extremely cold weather is going to convince people on the edge of financial crisis to avoid vanlife and hang onto S&B with all their strength?

I don't understand your meaning.  I am trying to correct a person's use of english who is on the other side of the world (he is one of my PhD students).  Do you know what the word "least" means?  He doesn't seem to understand (and his english is outstanding). It is driving me crazy.  Maybe this is why your lack of clarity annoys me. :p :D
good gravy HAHA

nah, I am going to leave you hanging and being driven crazy :)

Cousin_Eddie said:
Homelessness is and has been a major problem for decades. The crisis is getting worse by the day and will continue to do so. If you think giving homeless person a house or a place to park is gonna solve the problem you are (IMO) misguided. I have done quite a bit of volunteer work over the years and from my experience there is only a small percentage of those who will make it back to some stability. Many of the homeless are unemployable, have medical issues, mental illness, alcohol, drug abuse and simply have lost all hope. The longer you are on the street these problems only get worse I mean can you imagine that a “homeless person” can run up a million dollar hospital bill in a single year because of ER visits and poor health. This video is over two years old I remember watching it back in the day and it broke my heart.

There are people who fall into homelessness due to crises of various sorts, and others for whom homelessness is a chronic lifestyle for all the reasons you list.

More affordable housing and a living wage would help the former, not so much the latter.

The working poor struggle mightily to make ends meet, and live just a paycheck or two away from complete disaster.

I’ve been there myself.

If there were adequate shelter beds, many if not most of the chronically homeless would refuse to stay in them.

It’s a very complicated issue.

JDub said:
The Hi.gov had cracked down hard on people coming to the island to live on the streets thanks to ultra low airfares and our great climate. Unless you've had a negative COVID test within 72 hours of final departure to the islands, a place to stay for 14 days if you plan to quarantine, and / or a return ticket. The authorities will detain the individual at the airport and send them back to origin on the next available flight. Harsh but necesary when you consider the small size of Hawaii.

From the start of COVID last spring Hawaii used it to force thousands of people without houses off the islands. In Kawaii they closed parks and public places, anyone there with no place to call home was taken to jail and offered a plane ticket off the island or lots more jail.

I hate when people attack people when they are vulnerable.

Hawaii always wants to blame and complain about tourists for everything, well they have bitten the hand that feeds them.. I hope Hawaii state governments see much more pain. I think they will have to trim some fat and lower some prices. I bet they will be asking for handouts(sort of like a few of the homeless ?)

Aloha ~

So sad to hear that, but is an extension of the attitude against human rights that is rising in this society. Does not matter how many property taxes you have paid in your lifetime, once you start travelling in your RV they want you gone.
-crofter

I am hearing now that the power is out in Dallas and people are sleeping in their cars to stay warm.

ridgeway said:
From the start of COVID last spring Hawaii used it to force thousands of people without houses off the islands. In Kawaii they closed parks and public places, anyone there with no place to call home was taken to jail and offered a plane ticket off the island or lots more jail.

I hate when people attack people when they are vulnerable.

Hawaii always wants to blame and complain about tourists for everything, well they have bitten the hand that feeds them.. I hope Hawaii state governments see much more pain. I think they will have to trim some fat and lower some prices. I bet they will be asking for handouts(sort of like a few of the homeless ?)

Aloha ~
Good morning, I agree with some of what you have to say but some of it is also incorrect, the COVID response by the Hi government has been heavy handed for sure and in particular, I think Ige the governor is going to get voted out next election. Not so much for the policies he enacted but for the utter wishy washyness he displayed. In fact, most Hi residents approve of the policies but - of course - don't like the consequences.

Kauai is pretty much the most extreme example of restrictions to be found, the mayor (of the whole island which is one county) - Kawakami - has been trying to get even more restrictions approved by the Governor. I think he's gone overboard but you also have to understand how small of a population the island has ~ 66K, Molokai is even worse ~ 7500, and how limited the medical base is. Most severe illnesses (applies to all the outer islands) have to be airlifted to Honolulu. The folks living in the parks and such were offered shelter, but as in the case of the Keehi Lagoon shelter on Oahu, most turned it down. IRT to "thousands" being forced off the islands by the policies that's incorrect. As I recall, the actual number is ~ 160 total across the 8 islands. Almost all due to either showing up without a negative test, no verifiable place to quarantine, blatantly breaking the quarantine, and no return ticket or permanent residence etc. Also, many weren't indigent but tourists taking advantage of ultra low air fares.

The ongoing policies of the state government and business establishment didn't need the COVID restrictions to get folks to leave. Their misguided (IMO) policies have resulted in a steady outflow of the best and brightest to the mainland for years - we've lost a net 10,000 over the last few years according to the latest study. few decent jobs, Low wages, high cost of living, and a stranglehold on the economy by the vested interests have done a fine job of driving folks away all on their own.

The tourism industry (and the military which makes up 15% of the population) remains the only show for all practical purposes and without them (both) the island economy is sunk - what's worse is, it's the regular Kimo local's that are being hurt the worst (including my own family) - as usual. I love my home state and I just got back 3 weeks ago so I've got pretty up to date info here but I do agree with you that things need to change but I'm not hopeful.

More reading here: https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/

Aloha!

Moderator note,

I edited the above post, Please when you respond to a post move the cursor outside the quote box before you start typing. It's real confusing if this is not done.

Highdesertranger

I'm still not sure I'm doing this right? I hit reply and it comes up with the entire text of what I'm replying to. I'm using the quick reply function. I'm afraid I'm not very good at this. This is the first site I've signed up to post on in many years...

Status
Not open for further replies.