pesticide boards BEWARE

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_sailing

Reaction score
OMG!

I am finishing up my ceiling and originally purchased the green poly boards for insulation on my fiberglass topper.  
I had forgotten how inflexible these boards really are and had to trade out for the standard 1/2" eps styrofoam boards.

Huge mistake. Immediately after affixing the eps to the ceiling I began to notice a very strong chemical odor.  My first thought was that the adhesive was having a reaction with either the boards or the fiberglass topper as the odor was coming from under each of the panels and was highly concentrated.

Assuming I had to just let it have time to vent  I did not remove it and instead did a few tests. I took a scrap piece of the insulation and sprayed it heavily with the 3m on all sides. as well as on the uncovered styrofoam. I also applied the 3m to a section of raw fiberglass to see if there was a reaction.

After a day i checked and there was no reaction to my test sites.. tho the styrofoam tester had melted in areas that were directly exposed to the 3m. The  styrofoam was unchanged where the silver and white coating/label is applied. I then checked the the styroam boards that were installed and the strong chemical odor remained. I removed the boards and while doing so part of the "white" side with the company logo peeled off and I immediately found the culprit of this toxic gassing. 

It is that damn film they put over the styroboard! I see on the logo side that they have a picture of an ant with the "no" symbol over it and the odor that I am detecting smells exactly like some kind of insecticide. To confirm that it was indeed this film, I checked a new board and peeled the film off the styrofoam and BINGO..both sides..the silver AND the logo side both reeeked of this pesticide.

I see now on the company site that they do include some pesticides...its cute because they use the word "pest deterents" and "natural" to present a safe product.... poop and asbestos are natural as well..but I sure the hell don't want it in my spaces.

https://www.insulfoam.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Insect-Resistance-Document.pdf
https://www.insulfoam.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/IF-14188-EPS-vs-XPS-Sell-Sheet_07-07-21.pdf

"Expanded polystyrene is very versatile because it can be molded and cut into different shapes and can be produced with additives such as pest deterrents."

Maybe I am more sensitive to this or maybe I got  a bad batch with a little extra ooompf... I don't know. I do suggest to anyone buying/using to peel a corner of the film back and take a wiff before you buy or install in your rig.  For me, I will never use anything from this manufacturer and am now looking at alternatives.. maybe the thinsulate or denim or wool... anything NOT coated with some kind of pesticide added.

I suggest you peel back a small corner and check if there is an issue for you.
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]If your in the home depot and notice a corner of label peeled back... yep.. that probably was me doing the smell test...[/font]

Denim and wool will absorb moisture thus becoming a poor insulator unless you can get a moisture barrier on it.

The pink stuff (owens corning foamular polyiso XPS) does not have pesticide in it and I have it installed in my van with no odor from it. Also repels moisture and does not grow mold on it.
-crofter

Thanks for the moisture reminder on the wool and denim. I should have completed this task and as its getting colder I am tired of screwing around with it. I was about ready to the thrift store and start shredding blue jeans. LOL

Wish I had a warning about this before spending 80 bux on materials..now I get to spend another 100.

Thanks for sharing about the pink boards..I am going to have to score a couple boards to bend a bit, much better than having a massive headache from bug spray soaked products.

Im wondering about the difference between the blue/pink/ green boards..do those colors just represent a particular brand?

There should be a manufacturer name imprinted on it so you can double check about pesticides, R value etc. I did find that the pink foamular was essentally not bendable. Which makes it great structurally. I used hot glue gun on it successfully after failures of other glues. I also have either wood panelling holding it, or a few wood lath on the ceiling. It has not budged.

If you need curves, pick up a razor knife to carve it with.
-crofter

Formular can take a beating. I have some boards that I cut to insulate a Whynter 65 qt fridge back in 2015. Still in in use for the same fridge in a different vehicle. No crumbling on the edges. They won't compress unless hit hard.

In 2015 Formular was all that was available at the Home Depot in Bridgewater, New Jersey. Maybe now I know the reason, because the others were off gassing toxic chemicals.

I don't know if Pahrump HD has Formular in stock, they stock a lot of the pest deterrent boards.

Good to know, thanks.

crofter said:
If you need curves, pick up a razor knife to carve it with.
-crofter
Crofter is right. You know how tier-drop trailers are curved like a canned ham? These home builders often use 2" thick Owens Corning rigid pink foam, R-10 for the insolation between rafters or purlins during the build. They take a sheetrock knife and score the outside of the curve so that the inside of the curve can bend. It's just enough for a slight bend of the roof of a typical cargo van. I mean that the insolating will hardly open up. You don't need to cut all the way thru.

I will have to read up on the subject and see what that new product "improvement" is all about. The safety warning info will be published on the internet and in the MSDS for the product.

Let us know what you find out. I would hate to be the pest who was eliminated by my insulation.
-crofter

Turns out that is all about preventing damage by carpenter ants. They and termites are digging nesting tunnels into foam boards just like they do in wood. It is now a big news story on the internet. If will have to find out what insecticide. Borate..ie borax kills carpenter ants. When I was remodeling my homes in the Puget sound area I put borax washing soda on the wood at the bottom of each wall cavity between the studs before I put the insulation batts in and put up drywall. Carpenter ants are always an issue in wood structures in the coastal Pacific NW. I got tired of paying pest compnies and started buying Borax lUndry addiitive and laid down a thin line of it around the periewter of my house once or twice a year. That solved the ant issue at very little expense.

Thanks for the FYI Desert S.  Toxic products are no bargain.  Nothing is more precious than your health.

I been using the rtech foam (4x8 foot sheets) for 10 years (that have the no pests logo) and havent notice any fumes from them. I got multiple layers inside my van, some in the front of the van where the heat gets up to 150f, where there would be fumes at that heat.
In the back of my van there is very little ventilation except a small roof vent, any fumes would be noticeable.
I use hotglue to install the insulation due to I don't like breathing the fumes from the chemical glues. I've taken off the white film and silver film that where damaged and used hotglue directly on the bare foam and didnt notice any fumes.
I'm also very sensitive to fumes and have a respirator when soldering or doing anything that might give off fumes.
Maybe the 3m glue is reacting with the foam, I would try hotglue and see if you get fumes. Foam insulation provides too many benefits to not be using it. 

cooling duct.jpg

Attachments

• cooling duct.jpg
    cooling duct.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 38
interesting.
i started with the foil backed polyci insulation. It had the best R rating. But I just could not bear the smell, and it makes a huge mess if you cut it.
So I switched to "Foamula" which is close to the same R rating but much easier to work with and not stinky.

I did do several tests with the adhesive to see if that was the issue.

It became apparent when I peeled back the foil and label sides of a brand new board and it was an instant headache and engulfment of my head/schnozzola with insecticide dust.

Maybe it's just a bad batch or I'm just very sensitive... not sure but I definitely recommend to anyone buying these insulation boards to peel back a bit of corner ( both sides) and smell them before buying.

I ended up peeling the silver and label sides completely off... let them air out for several days and then put acrylic paint over them for any adhesive I may use . . just in case.

However I don't even need the adhesive now that I mounted furring strips. I adhered canvass with the liquid nails on the interior side...
looks great... and nearly finished!! woohoo

OMG!

I am finishing up my ceiling and originally purchased the green poly boards for insulation on my fiberglass topper.
I had forgotten how inflexible these boards really are and had to trade out for the standard 1/2" eps styrofoam boards.

Huge mistake. Immediately after affixing the eps to the ceiling I began to notice a very strong chemical odor. My first thought was that the adhesive was having a reaction with either the boards or the fiberglass topper as the odor was coming from under each of the panels and was highly concentrated.

Assuming I had to just let it have time to vent I did not remove it and instead did a few tests. I took a scrap piece of the insulation and sprayed it heavily with the 3m on all sides. as well as on the uncovered styrofoam. I also applied the 3m to a section of raw fiberglass to see if there was a reaction.

After a day i checked and there was no reaction to my test sites.. tho the styrofoam tester had melted in areas that were directly exposed to the 3m. The styrofoam was unchanged where the silver and white coating/label is applied. I then checked the the styroam boards that were installed and the strong chemical odor remained. I removed the boards and while doing so part of the "white" side with the company logo peeled off and I immediately found the culprit of this toxic gassing.

It is that damn film they put over the styroboard! I see on the logo side that they have a picture of an ant with the "no" symbol over it and the odor that I am detecting smells exactly like some kind of insecticide. To confirm that it was indeed this film, I checked a new board and peeled the film off the styrofoam and BINGO..both sides..the silver AND the logo side both reeeked of this pesticide.

I see now on the company site that they do include some pesticides...its cute because they use the word "pest deterents" and "natural" to present a safe product.... poop and asbestos are natural as well..but I sure the hell don't want it in my spaces.

https://www.insulfoam.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Insect-Resistance-Document.pdf
https://www.insulfoam.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/IF-14188-EPS-vs-XPS-Sell-Sheet_07-07-21.pdf

"Expanded polystyrene is very versatile because it can be molded and cut into different shapes and can be produced with additives such as pest deterrents."

Maybe I am more sensitive to this or maybe I got a bad batch with a little extra ooompf... I don't know. I do suggest to anyone buying/using to peel a corner of the film back and take a wiff before you buy or install in your rig. For me, I will never use anything from this manufacturer and am now looking at alternatives.. maybe the thinsulate or denim or wool... anything NOT coated with some kind of pesticide added.

I suggest you peel back a small corner and check if there is an issue for you.
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]If your in the home depot and notice a corner of label peeled back... yep.. that probably was me doing the smell test...[/font]
This is why there is Havelock wool insulation. They make a special size for vanlifers. Why would anyone want to put toxic stuff in the walls of a place they are going to spend so much time in? Just google Havelock wool. All the foam outgasses stuff that is really not good for you too. Sure it is cheap, and available just about everywhere. That is the way our society thinks. Down the road, if you are suffering from asthma, or itchy, burning eyes because the walls of the vehicle in which you live are outgassing formaldehyde, or some other lovely chemical, is the price of the wool going to seem so high?