Education & Skills needed to work online from your Rig

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing,  I just checked that out in Google.  My figures came form an Agricultural report that spoke of population, food resources, and the increasing demand for labor. (with many jobs going unfilled)

According to World Population com:

Corona virus disease is an infectious disease caused by SARS-CoV-2, called Covid-19, first identified in Wuhan, a city in China, on December 2019 and has resulted in an ongoing pandemic. As of 27 October 2020, more than 43.9 million cases have been reported across 188 countries and territories, resulting in more than 1,166,680 deaths, The top covid virus affected countries with most cases are US with 8.9 million, India with 7.9 million and Brazil with 5.4 million.

Thanks for sharing,  I just checked that out in Google.  My figures came form an Agricultural report that spoke of population, food resources, and the increasing demand for labor. (with many jobs going unfilled)  Don't know when/where they got their population data.

According to World Population com:

Corona virus disease is an infectious disease caused by SARS-CoV-2, called Covid-19, first identified in Wuhan, a city in China, on December 2019 and has resulted in an ongoing pandemic. As of 27 October 2020, more than 43.9 million cases have been reported across 188 countries and territories, resulting in more than 1,166,680 deaths, The top covid virus affected countries with most cases are US with 8.9 million, India with 7.9 million and Brazil with 5.4 million.

For those who have artistic talent and are savvy with creating digital artwork online,  there is a rising trend in selling it online using "Blockchain" apps that trade using Bitcoin and other Tokens of cryptocurrency. There are many apps in the Blockchain system and each tends to focus on a particular endeavor.

Selling digital art, music, writing, etc is possible with various apps that you can download and use.

Buying cryptocurrency for beginners at eTorro.  Safe, quick, trustworthy.

Here are some links to explain how to enter into selling your digital art.

Crypto Art: How artist are selling their art on Blockchain
https://mymodernmet.com/crypto-art-blockchain/
https://mymodernmet.com/crypto-art-blockchain/How to start selling your digital art in minutes
https://mymodernmet.com/crypto-art-blockchain/https://thomasdeneuville.com/digital-art-blockchain/
https://mymodernmet.com/crypto-art-blockchain/https://thomasdeneuville.com/digital-art-blockchain/Blockchain Art: How to launch your own Blockchain Art Marketplace
https://mymodernmet.com/crypto-art-blockchain/https://thomasdeneuville.com/digital-art-blockchain/
https://mymodernmet.com/crypto-art-blockchain/https://thomasdeneuville.com/digital-art-blockchain/PBS News Hour: How Blockchain technology could revolutinize the Art Market

West Virginia announced a new program to try to attract remote workers with interest in outdoor living Monday.  4/12/2001.  

Basically:

[font=arial,sans-serif]Under the [/font][font=arial,sans-serif]remote worker program[/font][font=arial,sans-serif], out-of-state participants who move to [/font][font=arial,sans-serif]West Virginia[/font][font=arial,sans-serif] will receive $12,000 along with passes for a year to indulge in whitewater rafting, golf, rock climbing, horseback riding, skiing, ziplining and other activities. The full relocation package is valued at more than $20,000.[/font]

West Virginia is bordered by Pennsylvania, Ohio, Kentucky and Virginia.  But in the very south of West Virginia it isn't too far of a drive to North Carolina or Tennessee.  Being in the Wheeling, Huntington, Morgantown, or Princeton areas of West Virginia could position one to nearby cities such as Pittsburgh, Columbus, Lexington, Johnson City, Roanoke, Charlotte. Thus work connections could be made in these near by cities, and if some travel is required in your work that could be a bonus. 

This program could get some struggling Nomads on their feet.

West Virginia New Program seeks to attract remote workers who like the outdoors

So are you selling out and moving a few miles? Watch out for them Hatfields! LOL!!! They would be better off to raise the minimum wage and spend more on education so people that want to stay there didn't have to live in poverty! There are good reasons young people move away from these areas.

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif]They've been wanting and working to change that image but as you know old stereotypes die hard.  A lot of natives look back at this area in anger while prospering elsewhere.   I can't really blame them.  But I don't think this program is reaching out to them.[/font]

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif]The state has been working thru this Covid Pandemic to make changes to attract people who really aren't products of Appalachia by dropping the state income tax, building Broadband out state wide,  offering free training in the trades & placement upon completion. Also in creating attractive opportunities for those with remote working skills who would relocate to the state. (even if only for awhile) [/font]

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif]While the area may be a place for young natives with little skill or experience to leave to find the opportunity they need elsewhere,  it may be a bounty for other young people with modern skills & experience to come and get a start. [/font]

Myself,  I'm looking at a traveling job that will base me here in southern Ohio for the time being.  But I am planning to move out of the sticks & bricks once established in that.  My job would have me on a Tow Boat 6 months or more a year and the rest would be my "Me Time".   ;)

The barges, trucking and military have traditionally been escape routes for many in the region, but until they deal with the lack of education, poverty and the drug problems that resulted in an over run health care system eastern Kentucky, southern Ohio and much of West Virginia are not places I would choose to raise a young family in my opinion unless the internet and remote learning really improve.

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif]I agree.  Speaking as someone from the area who has traveled and seen the difference I would suggest the program for young single educated/trained types capable of remote working.  I mentioned this with Nomad's in mind no matter the type or rig they are working from.   [/font]

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif]I'm sure the media will be posting "second day" stories about this program as more details come forth.  [/font]

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif]But the shortcomings of the area you mentioned ARE what they are now trying to address. This Covid situation has provided[/font][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif] a rare opportunity for evaluation & planning to address problems and plot solutions. As you know,  the late 20th century here was about throwing "Sop solutions" on the area that only resulted in procrastination in dealing with those problems and added to the roles of "Happy Pappy's".   That led to a lot of people leaving that couldn't be regenerated internally so now they are trying to import them from outside with programs such as this one. [/font]

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif]The residue that resulted from the welfare state has been decimated by the Oxycodone drugs and now Covid.  The result is that things here are beginning to change, but they are in the early phase of it.  For some, this "could" be a ground floor opportunity here in the east. [/font]

Could driving a Semi 18 Wheeler be right for you ?  AgDay reported this morning 5/4/21 that there is a 30%  shortage of drivers to haul southern California produce (such as carrots & onions) to market.  This comes at a 10 year trend but has been especially bad during the Covid pandemic.

Having a rig to live out of and driving a Big Rig could allow a Nomad a good income with limited worries about keeping up a sticks & bricks with all the appending concerns. Many of these Big Rigs now have automatic transmissions & power steering such that more & more women are driving them.

With these shortages Trucking Companies may be offering training on the job. ;) 

Youtube Video of AgDay

AgDay 5/4/2021

Today,  May 22,  is "National Maritime Day".

On the River Boats a crew member may work 28 days on and 28 days off. (these are "line haul" boats)  Some jobs offer shorter more flexible shifts especially for women who cook.  Some "day boats" may crew 14 on and 7 off.   Crew members on these live at their own home or dwelling and may work in the local port where they make up groups of barges for the line haul boats to pick up and to tow to their destinations.  Such port boats are often referred to as "Lunch Bucket Boats" as crew members bring their own food in lunch buckets for their shift.  These boats may have a crew of two to four people.

Presently some of the Barge & Towing lines are offering BIG sign on Bonuses. They also train & pay while on the job and promote within the ranks.

This could allow a Nomad to have work, food, and housing for 6 months of the year and 6 months to pursue the Nomad lifestyle. (and study for an advanced certification such as the MMC or Master Mariner Certification which would provide a big increase in wages) The pay is good and could provide for a nice newer rig.

National Maritime Day
https://www.miragenews.com/a-proclamation-on-national-maritime-day-2021-564660/
https://www.miragenews.com/a-proclamation-on-national-maritime-day-2021-564660/Careers @ American Commercial Barge Lines
https://www.miragenews.com/a-proclamation-on-national-maritime-day-2021-564660/https://www.bargeacbl.com/careers/
https://www.miragenews.com/a-proclamation-on-national-maritime-day-2021-564660/https://www.bargeacbl.com/careers/MMC Check List Page

eDJ_ said:
Many of these Big Rigs now have automatic transmissions & power steering such that more & more women are driving them.

I don’t get it. What would an auto trans and power steering have to do with a woman driving it? It’s not like you need to be Superman to drive without power steering or auto transmission.

Cammalu,  I don't in any way mean to imply anything sexist in saying that.  I was in my later 20's after I had worked as a steel worker then I took a drivers job.  The woman who was HR director explained to me  in her words, "this is man's work".  She was quite right.  I drove big straight trucks with air brakes and other than that they were all manual with no A/C.   I moved some 18 wheeler's around the warehouse lot too.  I understood quickly why they called them Tractors instead of Trucks. 

In those times I could do 50 chin up's or pull up's without stopping.  I drove three full long days a week, worked in the warehouse two days of the week and had week ends off and the guys who drove the big rigs thought I had an easy job.  But they may be driving more than 600 miles a day. (as one said to me, "I drive 100 miles & they give me a $20 dollar bill")

The only women who worked where I was were in the office. 

Today with the advances in technology,  big rigs have air suspension cabs with air suspension seats, air conditioning, and with auto transmissions and electronically controlled variable-assist hydraulic power steering setups.  In years past it required brute strength and endurance from a driver and that was only a few decades ago. 

In the future I figure the rigs will be electrically powered and autonomously controlled.  They may have a person in them to serve more as a monitor-administrator.  There may even be a computer screen built into the driver's side door so someone stationed at an office complex can Zoom Meet with those at toll plazas, law enforcement, warehouse guard gates etc.

American Commercial Barge Line will be holding open interviews in Paducah, Ky  June 1 from 9 am to 3 pm.  If working on the river(s) is of interest to you.  These companies are known for on the job training and promoting from within.   You would be on the water 28 days and off 28 days.  While on the water your lodging & food is provided.   A Nomad could work 6 months and make a year's pay and have 6 months off to wander about in his/her rig.   Just put the rig in storage before going on the water.   Could be a good life with great pay for some.

A TWIC Card is a "Transportation Workers Identification Credential" and if you have a good record won't be difficult to obtain. The physical will require overall good health & fitness and a drug screening.

ACBL Interviews

Feeding Time

If you are able to watch this 10 minute Video presentation by Amanpour & Co CNN it may be well worth your time if you are planning to be a "Remote Worker".   It details what business & industry are doing to produce a hybrid model workplace that will accommodate those wishing to work remotely in the near future.  This may be a glimpse at your future.

In the interview Jean Twenge, author of the book  "iGen" discusses how those under 26 years of age are the most likely to have the computer skills learned in their schooling to be the major players when the Covid Pandemic winds down and industry resumes.  She defines the iGen as those born after 1995 and details how they are different from those before them.

Twenge has written other books on the characteristics of "generations" and has mentioned how well  Millennials have done financially. (and will soon replace Boomers as they fade from the workplace)

The numbers and statistics presented in this are interesting to see.  This is a Video.

Are You Ready To Return To The Office

The Book by Jean Twenge  can be viewed here:

iGen

So if you are a young person just out of school, living on the road as a Nomad and working remotely may actually be a good option for you.

In a recent study by Microsoft 73% of the 30,000 people from 130 countries around the world who were surveyed indicated that they would prefer to remain as remote workers after the Corona Pandemic is once over.  66% of Corporations have indicated that they are considering redesigning their work places to be more supportive to these remote workers.  Still 66% of these same workers indicate that they miss the face to face interaction with coworkers they once worked with in the office.

Other data from a PWC (Price Waterhouse Cooper Study) survey of 133 executives and 1,200 employees based in the U.S. found that 55% of workers would prefer to work from home at least 3 days a week. What’s more, 52% of employees and 34% of executives say they’re more productive working from home.

Remote workers have been flocking to Hawaii and other states cities, such as Mississippi, are now offering $6,000 relocation bonuses to remote workers to move there. Tulsa, OK is supposed to be offering $10,000 dollars to relocate there and work for a year.

According to Microsoft’s first-annual Work Trend Index, which surveyed 30,000 people from 31 countries, 73% of workers want their employers to continue providing flexible remote work options after the world returns to some semblance of normalcy.

“The data is clear. Extreme flexibility and hybrid work will define the post-pandemic workplace,” the survey notes. “Employees want control of where, when, and how they work, and expect businesses to provide options. The decisions business leaders make in the coming months to enable flexible work will impact everything from culture and innovation to how organizations attract and retain top talent.

I'm sure more information will be forthcoming about this soon.  But it seems that this is a trend Nomads could bet/bank on.  Just a 4 day (10 hour a days) remote job that offers 3 days off each week.  It could really benefit those working in the sparsely populated western states where it takes more time to get around than in the east.  In the east those two additional hours of work each day would offset the hour drive to and from the job where nothing is getting done during the commute.  It could provide an extra day off.

Microsoft Study indicates 73% of people would prefer to stay working from home after Corona Pandemic

Since the Pandemic the trend to work from home has become a mainstream concept. More and more people have become interested in doing it and with that being a remote working nomad.  With this other trends will follow and the News at Noon on TV often offers features showcasing the latest emerging trends.  Recently I saw this one that targeted working women & men.

Presently cosmetics companies are beginning offer new makeup on the store shelves that includes the address of their website that instructs instructs on the use of their makeup in hot weather and has lighting tips to get the best look with it in Zoom, Hangout, Skype & other online meetings when working remotely.  In the women's clothing departments of stores webcam lighting apparatus accessories may soon be showing up.  In time there may be salons set up with webcam equipment to use in place of the old dressing mirror.

[/url]Looking Good on Camera for Remote Workers 12 minutes long

This 5 minute video discusses setting up the lighting mentioned in the above post.  Webcam lighting and audio equipment is beginning to show up everywhere now as people are working remotely during the pandemic.   Some are just basic kits while others are almost studio equipment.  All generally less than $20 to $50 dollars.

Setting up Lighting for Remote Workers

Have you ever considered working on a Tow Boat ?  You work on one month and off one month and make a respectable years income.  Probably have 100% medical, dental, and visual insurance plus other benefits.

American Commercial Barge Line will have open interviews in Dyersburg, TN on July 21 from 8 am to 2 pm.

You could put your rig in secure storage while on the water, and on return go back to your rig and Nomad for a month.  When  on the boat you are fed and housed.

[img=500x285]https://scontent.fpit1-1.fna.fbcdn....f807b9304c2c0216972686e9921&oe=60F7F703[/img]

JANTRAN Inc Barge & Towing is advertising for deck hands now. (anyone interested in working on the rivers) They are at 507 David Work Drive Rosedale, MS 38769  662 759 8641

Again, if a Nomad wants to work this type of work,  they could make a good income and afford a better rig, and 6 months of the year they would be on the Boat where they are sheltered and fed. In the months off you could travel in your rig and have finances enough to enjoy the life.

While on a Boat you will have several hours a day of free time to use your Cell as a hot spot with your laptop so that you could take online classes to qualify you to work remotely when you are off the Boat and on the road or boondocking.  This may be a strategy some will want to investigate.

JANTRAN