Crofter's Online discussion and check in chat includes any health condition

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never knew about the silicone in things. I use silicone for aquarium plumbing stuff. If it gets on the skin it has to be wiped off with a dry cloth before it dries or else won't come off. If it gets wet on the skin before it dries, it is even stickier and more difficult to get off. Now I'll have to check everything at home for silicone. Thank you for the information.

Agreed. I was caught off guard also, been using a carcinogen as wrinkle cream for years. This stuff is more prioritized in other countries, not even on the radar at US Food & Drug Admin just like most women's health issues. 
-crofter

So how do you fact check the articles you read on the internet? I was thinking about this after listening to the televised rant of a woman who said her feed just kept getting farther and farther from the truth until she was way out there. 

Here are some links to articles on fact checking. Do you have a good way to do fact checking?
-crofter

https://tacomacc.libguides.com/c.php?g=599051&p=4147190

https://fordham.libguides.com/FakeNews/Evaluation

https://www.facebook.com/business/help/2593586717571940

https://www.factcheck.org/hot-topics/

https://www.snopes.com/

Most important guideline might be "think before you share"

I also go into internet tools and clear my search history to interrupt the algorithm that sends you that wild stuff.

Anyone else have ideas on winnowing the truth from the internet?
-crofter

Link to Swedish video about fact checking.

Spent about three hours today on various phone lines and websites trying to make that shot appointment. I really feel that the vaccine rollout is resulting in a form of genocide against certain groups of people. I actually sent an email to CDC detailing why I think that, and also listing all the phone numbers and web sites that do not work to get a shot appointment. 

My flurry of activity and short lived optimism was fueled by a call from some girlfriends who just got their second shot. Not sure how they beat me to it, but then they are those Italian girls in walkers, and I think there is a preference for that. Well good for them, can't have too many Italian girls in walkers.

Then I started reading NPR and discovered an article saying things are 10 times worse than you thought. Kind of a downer after the day I had, but probably true. And I still believe that we don't have vaccine in southern AZ because the guv does not luv us. Have a heart guv!
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: 

And, anyone else on here: take one & pass it on.
-crofter

My niece in Austin Texas has volunteered to help people get appointments and she was thrilled that she was able to get about 80% of the people that are qualified and contacted her appointments. She is helping get appointments in central Texas. She is on Facebook under Lidia Rudy Sullivan. PM her on Facebook if you are between San Antonio and Waco and need help.

I just have not been in the mood this last few weeks to deal with scheduling much of anything including trying to get a covod 19 vaccine. Of course that means my list of emails and phone calls I need to make is just going to keep getting longer instesd of shorter. That is prett special if someone is volunteering to help people get ppointments. Oh well it just seems like a good time ti chill out and enjoy being laid back in tbe desert instead of stressiing out over all the stuff that iswerong with life. Not look i ng to cure my procrastination just yet, I am enjoyiing it way too much.

As long as you can take the precautions and self isolate by staying away from other people you will be good. Unfortunately for us my wife will soon be working the front gate in another month or so and be exposed to lots of people and opportunities to catch it so vaccination for her has become a priority. She did pretty well this last year with a plexiglass shield, my fan creating a positive pressure in the booth, mask and lots of wipes as everything was done by credit card. With the new more contagious variations we are concerned as so far not to many people in charge have done much to help solve the problems of transmission and vaccination locally.

@bullfrog
I do still reccomend getting the shot in Phoenix at one of the events. All the vaccines seem to be ending up there. You will have to go back to that same place for the second shot, according to agents at all the numbers I called on Saturday. Best of luck chasing that.

Today was the day for toilet repairs at the S&B, my specialty. The thing sprayed all over and I was sure I would be replacing it this time. Instead I was able to fix it with a piece of electrical tape, you know that is an upgrade from duct tape. But no new toilet required, better luck next time.
-crofter

Funny as the RV’s toilet slide valve cracked today and let all the water out. Some marine epoxy and we are all good. The problem with Phoenix is it is about a 12 hour drive for me with most of it through the reservation. Probably likely to be more risky going to get the shot than staying put. I’m hoping the VA in Grand Junction where I get primary care will eventually get around to me as it is only 4 hours away. My wife should be considered soon as her job and health conditions put her in group 1B but Utah and Northern Arizona just now are full through all of February and still trying to get the 1A group mostly done.

ON SHARING THE SHOTS
My brother the scientist tells me not to worry, that getting the booster later will result in more immunity eventually. 

I continued my inquiry today by phone about the booster shot at public health, and recieved an automated reply same old thing times 2. They may have changed the policy about the booster and I am the last to know.

This guy thinks the US should be one and done: no second shots due to the risk from variants. Here is a link to his interview on Sunday.
-crofter

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_60178a0fc5b63b0fb2823174

I had my second dose on Monday, been home from work sick the last two days, just like after the first dose. This set of side effects feels much like mild to moderate influenza, but not contagious and only lasts 2 or 3 days.

Great news that you got the shot, and a small miracle that you got the shot appointment. Hope you are feeling better soon.
-crofter

Went to public health today and received the second shot a week late. Computers appear to have been replaced by soldiers with post-it notes. Did not see that coming but hey its working. The parking lot was filled with people getting shots.
-crofter

Congratulations, at least Arizona is accepting everyone no mater their residency that is over 65, but in Page in Coconino County all appointments are full till next month. Utah is still only doing those over 70 and state residents. Colorado VA is still only doing what they have vaccine for and do not allow you to call for appointments, they call you if you are registered. double masking is recommended for those waiting for vaccine shots.

I may have discovered why we could not get the second shot appointment in southern AZ, and had to use the walk in method.

Mom is sharing my email for appointment purposes as she is not interested in becoming tech savvy. According to this news article the appointment system will not allow a family to use a single email address, even though you can add family members in your account.

So if you are the caregiver, you may want to create individual email accounts to use in accessing shot appointments.
-crofter
https://tucson.com/news/local/fear-...cle_d49713fd-b7b5-574a-a5c5-c818c802a367.html

Will you continue to use a mask to reduce disease after the pandemic? 

I actually like wearing the mask in that I have not had facial sunburn or common colds since I started wearing the mask. The skin on my nose was perpetually peeling from sunburn, now it is normal again after a year protected by the face mask. And I did not get covid 19, thank you face mask.

According to this science article, mask wearing has been around since the 13th century as a defense against respiratory plagues. The practice started in China (my study of history did not include China, so this is news to me). It was common to see people in other countries wearing mask long before the pandemic, we thought they were germaphobes. Now that we have experienced a deadly respiratory pandemic, we no longer think those early mask wearers are germaphobes.

This review comes up with an effectiveness of 70% to 80% of mask wearing to prevent respiratory disease. Link to article.
-crofter

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

treesprite said:
I had my second dose on Monday, been home from work sick the last two days, just like after the first dose. This set of side effects feels much like mild to moderate influenza, but not contagious and only lasts 2 or 3 days.
I am coming up for air after two days, still a little achey but I am alert again. Just glad to be vaccinated. And in two weeks I will have immunity built up.

As usual I will get to the campout when everyone has gone.
-crofter