Analysis Paralysis, Fear or All of the Above?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soulfaring

Reaction score
So I've been shopping for a few months now - online. My plan, prior to the world ending, was to be on the road January 2021.

I've been looking for a Chevy/GMC - mostly because that seems to be the preference 'round here. I hadn't found much until I came across this stupid Ford that is giving me headache. It's the first one I've looked at in person.

I am stuck. I can't make a decision I feel good about either way.  I don't want to pass on something that checks as many boxes as I can reasonably expect to. BUT I have concerns which I will bore you with shortly.  

How do I tell the difference between reasonable concerns and my brain making crap up because it just wants me to stay "safe" inside my box/apartment listening to noisy neighbors and their locked down, antsy, screaming kids? WHY is my brain is doing this to me! :mad:

It's a 2012 E250, 4.6L V8 with 36,382 miles. Asking $13.6k.

Seems like an OK ask for CA according to KBB. On the high side for an empty van but I like the low miles and I really like that it has the high top and that if I needed to I could live in it right now.

First year/6k miles were a rental.  Current owner bought in 2013 and drove primarily highway.

Build-out and high top were done by Happy Vans in San Jose.  They have very good reviews on Yelp and Google.

Owner is a Bigfoot researcher. He used the van for surveillance. Includes:
2 rear cameras - 1 high, 1 low.
Dorm fridge (not a 12 volt)
Soundbar/speaker
3000w Centech inverter
19"  flat screen TV - installed in paneling/wall behind calendar/board thing in picture.
DVD player/recorder 
2 blue top Optima deep cycle batteries

It's setup for shore power which is nice to have but I intend to be primarily off-grid.

I don't know that I'd want most of what he's including. Certainly not TV/DVD. Probably not fridge - shouldn't those be 12 volts (this one isn't). I have no clue about the power stuff yet.

In another thread someone is considering an FBI surveillance van - seemingly similar setup electronically. It was suggested it could have been left idling for power.

Now I'm wondering if this could be the case with this van given he didn't have solar and said he was running electronics constantly. Motion sensor cameras were left on and recording 24 hours at a time.  Seems unreasonable that if you're waiting for Bigfoot to show up that you'd turn the engine on. He said he'd be out there up to two weeks at a time. I can't imagine those batteries lasting that long assuming he was also running the fridge the whole time.

My biggest pro and concern is the low miles. I know he was trying to sell it last year per a Facebook post. According to that ad it's been driven 600 miles since August. So seems like he wasn't letting it sit. OR did he take it on one long trip and it sat the rest of the time?

He currently has 2 pickups and a motorcycle. This van is his fourth vehicle. He's selling because he doesn't use/need it anymore. I suspected a bit of dry rot on one of the tires that later turned out to have a bulge according to a mechanic. Can sitting lead to bulges? I dunno. I know nothing. 

Another concern is that I don't know if I can install solar on the roof given the wobbly feeling. I don't know if it's top heavy or just unbalanced - most of the weight is on the driver's side. The roof is pretty high already - 18" at least. I'd have to put the panels on racks over that. I'm afraid I'd tip over! 

I noticed immediately that the steering was a bit loose for lack of a better word. The first turn I made was wide.  Is that me just not being used to it?  I rented an Escape Campervan, E150 sans high-top in January. I don't remember the steering feeling like that. 

Overall the van felt heavy - I needed extra braking room. Normal? I'm assuming yes but I wouldn't know. According to mechanic front brake linings are at 65%, rear at 45%. I don't know what that means but he gave them a pass.

It also felt under powered. It required effort and a VERY loud shift when I gave it a bit of gas going up a short not very steep hill.  

Not that I expect pep in a van but it just leaves me wondering if I need to stick with Chevy/GMC or a Ford 5.4L?  I like being in the mountains in summer. I'm not sure either of those would feel adequate to me either given I've driven turbos and V8 Mustangs for the past 20 years.  My real concern is beating it to death. I don't plan on carrying a whole lot - just enough to be off grid for a week at a time.

Mechanic findings:

1. a/c clutch not engaging (didn't have time to diagnose so who knows what's wrong? Certainly not me.)
2. Front wheel bearings loose - recommended repack and adjust pre-load but he didn't have time to look into it fully to be sure. He was making some assumptions based on mileage.
3. Left rear tire bulging and needs replacing. 

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=medium][size=medium]What I am wondering is if the bearings and bulging tire issue and the loose steering isn't a sign of things to come or are they a result of uneven/improper weight distribution?  According to mechanic, everything visually checked out suspension wise. [/font][/size][/size]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I didn't know the mechanic - the van is a 3.5 hour drive from me so I just went by Google reviews. He didn't take it for a ride which leaves me not feeling 100% secure. Isn't a test drive a normal part of a pre-purchase inspection?  It was in the bay and up on the lift for about 50 minutes. [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=medium][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]My biggest fear is that given it hasn't been driven much recently, I'm going to buy this van and it is going to require major repairs 6 months from now when we are in a second, potentially worse wave of a pandemic and I will be stuck in the desert with no food or water or mechanics. Yeah, I know, I'm imagining the worst case scenario! [/font][/font][/size]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=medium][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]If you wanted a low mileage van with a high top, what would be a fair offer given the undiagnosed a/c issues and mechanic's findings?  Or, would you pass on this one? [/font][/font][/size]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=medium][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Thanks![/font][/font][/size]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=medium][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]
e2501.png
e2502.png
e2503.png
[/font]
[/font][/size]

Find a mechanic who will test drive it and give it a thorough checkout.

What did you pay the first mechanic?

4.6 is too small. Any info on what all that stuff weighs?

I will give you my opinion as a non mechanic and only my opinion. I don't know what you paid the mechanic but his "I did not have enough time" and his lack of a test drive indicate that he is not the right mechanic to deal with. As to adding solar - panels don't weigh enough to "tip it over" unless something else is very wrong. The noisy shifting is a red flag that he should have found out about on a test drive. I have found that you can get lots of advice but when it comes down to it it is your decision. Personally I trust my gut.

By the way I was in the forest and bigfoot saw me but he didn't tell anyone because he thought they wouldn't believe him.

Welcome to the CRVL forums soulfaring! I can't give you any advice on the van but we have many knowledgable members who may be able to help.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

That's a pretty FORD van. I spent 8k more for a used RAM and got some warranty for a year 2017. The RAM has cargo brakes setup and turns on a dime due to front wheel drive. The rear wheel drive vehicles take a lot of room to turn around. If you love it and have the cash, you better buy it before someone else does.
-crofter

Just my opinion and experience...

I, too, would want a bigger engine. I had an E150 with the 5,0L V8 and loved it. Great in mountains. Is there that much difference between 4.6 and 5.0? And when I hammered it, yes, it made a loud clunk when downshifting. It had 80K+ miles on it when I bought it. I put another 70K+ miles on it, no problems with engine or transmission. I also thought at first it felt top heavy and it was a low top. The steering seemed looser than what I was used to in passenger cars. I did have to replace wheel bearings three times, tie rods once. The front suspension was what gave me problems.

As for his reports aboit how he used it, something doesn't sound right. Assume every seller will lie about something. Also, I think any vehicle, even a new one, can have unseen problems and no inspector will find them all. Even a vehicle that is perfect today may have a problem tomorrow. If you love it, and can afford some repairs, buy it and have the repairs done.

Looks like a nice van, anyway. Good luck!

If your goal is to be in the mountains in the summer then plan your purchase around a vehicle that has enough power to keep you from constant frustration when climbing hills. Otherwise you will be constantly telling yourself you should have waited for something with more power. Things such as that are what can make or break customer satisfaction after the purchase is completed.

Your "paralysis" is coming from waffling about your true criteria. Get your criteria checklist in place, print it out and literally check the boxes off. Then you will be able to have some emotional detachment and better capability to make logical decisions.

The thrill of finding anything will pull out out of bounds of your checklist of priorities. That is why you feel you are in paralysis, there is a war going on in your head of "must take what is available" versus "this does not actually meet my most important criteria" So you have to get that under control and that is why you need to use a checklist to overcome the emotions. When that internal voice of fear starts nagging at you there is a method to shut it down. All you need to do is mentally say a phrase such as "stop, that is enough". It might take a half dozen tries to turn that inner voice off. From what you are writing you do recognize that it is fear of failure emotionaly taking over your ability for sound decision making. You also recognize you don't have enough background knowledge about mechanical issues to sort it all out as to good versus bad issues. Many people are in that same class of buyers, it is what it is.

It took me almost a year to find the exact vehicle I wanted. I was prepared to go anywhere coast to coast (non rust belt states) to get it.

Nice van if you can afford it why not life is always a compromise and it is short so get on with it. I can’t imagine too much wrong with it with 36000. Sell the fridge get a 12 volt one, buy a propane stove throw your stuff in it and get away from those noisy neighbours, keep the tv and vcr you will use them especially for the first few weeks as you get used to living in it. Get a couple hundred watts of solar on the roof , a vent or a couple of windows and you are all set. Everything else will come to you as time passes and you get some ideas of what you may need ..Have fun....

crofter said:
The RAM has cargo brakes setup and turns on a dime due to front wheel drive. The rear wheel drive vehicles take a lot of room to turn around.

The differences in steering have nothing to do with FWD vs. RWD. 

It's the width and wheelbase differences of the vehicles that matter.

In fact, depending on the vehicle, FWD can have a wider turning radius than the same size vehicle with RWD because of the limitations FWD components put on steering geometry.