Ok so what is your favorite Christmas cookie?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanbrat

Reaction score
It has been a debate here as to what is the 'best' Christmas cookie with everyone agreeing they like what they like and it's ok if nobody else likes it but then came the question as to what is the most popular cookie.
Me, personally I like chocolate, chocolate chip cookies don't care what time of year it is. Followed closely by molasse ginger cookies. Hubby says raisin oatmeal and maybe sugar but what he liked growing up his Grandmas prune filled things. I made them once he said that I got it right but don't make them anymore 'cause he just realized they were not so good.....
My Dad doesn't like sweets so he likes fresh rolls. Step dad likes oatmeal but NO raisins. My kids like 'regular chocolate chip. And funny sugar cookies. (I don't know when it started but sometimes those sugar cookies are naughty). I used to like Rum ball cookies but as I was still a young teen when I started to make them and Mom found out I used lots of real rum some even ended up in the cookies so I was told no more rum cookies...
Ok so what do you like and do you have any funny stuff to add about them... Like naughty sugar cookies or really boozey Rum balls or those cookies you ate to make Grandma happy.
I don't do too much baking in my Van but I do make some dough and freeze it and bake one or 2-3 cookies at a time in my little air fryer.

My mom made the prune filled cookies, but I think she used dates. She also made rum balls. Mostly she made Swedish cookies, so those remind me of the holidays the most. Spritz and Pepparkakor. And always Swedish cinnamon rolls (they are made with cardamom).

Not a cookie, but every Christmas my parents made Swedish Glogg. Sometimes I make it, but I don't drink liquor so it's not often. My kids sometimes make it. I love the taste of it. It's a type of mulled wine.

Here in the states we used Everclear, because Aquavik was hard to find. It also has wine, orange peel, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon sticks, almonds, regular and golden raisins, figs, sugar. I might be forgetting some ingredients.

Lots of stories around glogg, but none I can share:D

If you had to just make one cookie for me it’s ginger snaps… but honestly I like the variety… my one sister now in Washington makes thousands of cookies… I usually get a care package of them…

Cranberry Christmas Cookies would be mine. They can be made up to look like traditional rounds, or candy canes, or even in a cake like form baked in a Pyrex dish and cut out as squares.

There is a nice balance between a cranberry jam and a buttery cookie with a sugar glaze on them. A holiday favorite for many.

images

images

Cranberry Christmas Cookies

cranberry-cake-3.jpg

Cranberry Christmas Cake

I like a frosted sugar cookie for an "American" Christmas cookie. But my aunt married a man who's parents moved to the Eastern U.S. from Lebanon in the early 20th cent (they were a religious minority in Lebanon...Catholic Christians). My aunt's mother-in-law taught her a wonderful Christmas cookie recipe that are basically a "snowball" or "wedding cookie" with black walnuts vs. pecans, English walnuts, etc... If you follow the recipe below and substitute black walnuts, you'll get a good version. Some folks also add cardamon to it.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/walnut_snowball_cookies/

My favorite is probably a basic sugar cookie, which I make these days with miniature cutters, frost lightly and add some sprinkles.

Then there are molasses crinkles with candied ginger, chocolate crackle cookies, gingerbread cutouts… so many dozens baked in years past, when we would ship packages off to the adult kids, wherever they were in college or working.

I have a little Christmas Recipes book where I hand write favorite holiday dishes and baked goods recipes, because someday I will be gone.

Preserving them for posterity. 😊

Last edited:
Cranberry Christmas Cookies would be mine. They can be made up to look like traditional rounds, or candy canes, or even in a cake like form baked in a Pyrex dish and cut out as squares.

There is a nice balance between a cranberry jam and a buttery cookie with a sugar glaze on them. A holiday favorite for many.

images

images

Cranberry Christmas Cookies

cranberry-cake-3.jpg

Cranberry Christmas Cake
Wow! YUM!

If you had to just make one cookie for me it’s ginger snaps… but honestly I like the variety… my one sister now in Washington makes thousands of cookies… I usually get a care package of them…
Pepparkakor are thin and crispy Swedish gingersnaps. These cookies are traditionally eaten in December in Sweden with a cup of coffee or some glögg. Enjoy!

I mentioned those in my post. Probably what you are used to being from Minnesota. Not like the soft Archway brand.

My favorite is probably a basic sugar cookie, which I make these days with miniature cutters, frost lightly and add some sprinkles.

Then there are molasses crinkles with candied ginger, chocolate crackle cookies, gingerbread cutouts… so many dozens baked in years past, when we would ship packages off to the adult kids, wherever they were in college or working.

I have a little Christmas Recipes book where I hand write favorite holiday dishes and baked goods recipes, because someday I will be gone.

Preserving them for posterity. 😊
My son has been bugging me for some of the recipes I have made for years. I did not learn at home as a kid I learned in home ec. and from a really good neighbor when my kids were little. She was sure they would starve. Not quit but not really healthy either. I started a collection as he asks for stuff to give him maybe for his birthday or something. I will have to include some of my cookies that he likes.

Last year I learned and worked on to perfect, or at least make it mine, crock pot fudge. This year everyone is getting a little bag of fudge also with their cookies. It is super easy and can be made anywhere if you carry a small crock pot. I have one in my van so if you do here is the recipe.

2 bags of high cocoa dark chocolate chips
(Does not work as well with low cocoa baking chips and takes longer by a bit)
1 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla
pour all in a small crock pot on low heat and leave the lid OFF. cook for 1 -2 hours (Time is dependent on how dark and cocoa rich your chips are and how high the heat is in YOUR pot higher is not always better here.
Stir the mixture every 20 - 30 minutes and it is done when everything is mixed and fairly smooth.
Have a pan ready for putting in the mix to set.

*options
I like to add chopped nuts.
Also chopped candy canes M&Ms or any other small bits of whatever candy or goodies you like.
Dried fruits like Cherries Cranberries or Blueberries.
Add them just before pouring into pan to cool and set.

Last year I learned and worked on to perfect, or at least make it mine, crock pot fudge. This year everyone is getting a little bag of fudge also with their cookies. It is super easy and can be made anywhere if you carry a small crock pot. I have one in my van so if you do here is the recipe.

2 bags of high cocoa dark chocolate chips
(Does not work as well with low cocoa baking chips and takes longer by a bit)
1 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla
pour all in a small crock pot on low heat and leave the lid OFF. cook for 1 -2 hours (Time is dependent on how dark and cocoa rich your chips are and how high the heat is in YOUR pot higher is not always better here.
Stir the mixture every 20 - 30 minutes and it is done when everything is mixed and fairly smooth.
Have a pan ready for putting in the mix to set.

*options
I like to add chopped nuts.
Also chopped candy canes M&Ms or any other small bits of whatever candy or goodies you like.
Dried fruits like Cherries Cranberries or Blueberries.
Add them just before pouring into pan to cool and set.

Thank you… I’ll be watching my mailbox… hahaha…

That fudge sounds yummy, vanbrat.

White chocolate, melted, with dried cranberries or cherries and salted pistachios is also good, and makes a pretty holiday gift.
I have not tried white chocolate chips yet? Let me know if you do this as I know they melt differently then dark chocolate stuff.