Advice needed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks - if he has a felony then the felony will remain on his record, even if the sex registry doesn’t apply. And yes, Canada has access to those records. When you cross the border, the border agent will take your passport, get on an online computer and check if you have a criminal record. If you have a record that has not been expunged, then they will usually deny you entry. That’s why the the OP already mentioned that he would not be allowed into Canada, and instead would ship his van to the lower-48 (and fly between Alaska and the lower-48). And yes, I know of folks who have used that technique to bypass Canada, either for legal reasons, or frequently during the pandemic time when the border was closed.

As for the OP question - I don’t think I would worry too much about it. Ask your friend if he is comfortable going into a state where he is not registered as a sex offender.

Getting from Alaska to the lower 48 means driving through Canada so that is why he is shipping the van to The lower 48 somewhere. If you are Okay with him but worried about LEO bugging you for the most part if you are not doing anything they are busy and won't bug you, if his plates give him away then maybe don't park next to each other. There are some states that have harsher regulations then others and it would be a good idea to do your research and follow what needs to be done to keep yourselves legal. The best way to stay out of trouble is to do what you need to do to stay out of it. There maybe places that you just don't go to together as in Canada. Or places you just avoid all together. Keep your van in good shape and don't hang out in what could be problem areas and stay away from other legal problems (DUI's and public drunkenness or fights or waving a gun around or ?????)
Thanks. I don't plan on 'camping' in cities that much but you do need to go thru them. So my concern is "the knock" that might come sometime in the night. Sure I could park away from him but if there's only a few cars around I would assume they would run a check on all of them and of course see I'm from AK too. Maybe I'm just being to paranoid. I have driven cross-country many times before and never had a problem. But I have never lived/slept in my car while doing so nor had someone around with his problem.

I have been all over the country in 22 years of travel, and I think that having plates run when you are in an out of the way place is routine, whether they knock and ask you to leave, or not, and that has happened to me a few times.

The risk is primarily his, really, not yours simply for traveling with him, and if he has been a sex offender 40+ years he should have a pretty good idea of what requirements are and where his limits lie…at least in Alaska.

I would say if you are traveling in vans the likelihood of having plates run is high, and that this will happen with regularity.

Where you might be parked and how his offender status would figure in to that would depend on the state you are in.

IMHO

If you are parked with him, knowing his status, and he has violated the laws wherever he is, how that may affect you is up for grabs.

It sounds like you want to make an informed decision about traveling with him, so might have a conversation with the duty Sergeant at your local police department, and see what this person has to say.

He/she would likely have a much broader depth of knowledge on the matter than anyone here.

Last edited:
I have been all over the country in 22 years of travel, and I think that having plates run when you are in an out of the way place is routine, whether they knock and ask you to leave, or not, and that has happened to me a few times.

The risk is primarily his, really, not yours simply for traveling with him, and if he has been a sex offender 40+ years he should have a pretty good idea of what requirements are and where his limits lie…at least in Alaska.

I would say if you are traveling in vans the likelihood of having plates run is high, and that this will happen with regularity.

Where you might be parked and how his offender status would figure in to that would depend on the state you are in.

IMHO

If you are parked with him, knowing his status, and he has violated the laws wherever he is, how that may affect you is up for grabs.

It sounds like you want to make an informed decision about traveling with him, so might have a conversation with the duty Sergeant at your local police department, and see what this person has to say.

He/she would likely have a much broader depth of knowledge on the matter than anyone here.
Thanks! He doesn't have to be registered in Alaska and if other states didn't made their laws retroactive then only in a few states that have laws going back forever (Calif goes back into the 50s and in Nevada ALL felons have to register within 48 hours of being in state. How many of you knew that?.) However being as it is, I think I'm going to talk with him over the weekend about it. Maybe if he understands that I would like the company but have concerns he will think it over. Going to suggest that he contacts each state and see what they say about it. That way he would have it in writing if something came up down the road. If he doesn't want to do that or just to lazy to do it then he's on his own. Thanks to everyone for your replies. If you come across anyone that's 'been there done that' please let me know.

Don't think I'll be in a van, looking at something like an Outback. Not sure what he would have either.

Update for those that care. My friend has emailed or written to each state. He has told me that so far the email replies run from we don't care to time limits (3-15 days) from being in state before needing to register to having to do so as soon as crossing the state line. When I talked to him about my concerns he admitted that he didn't think about any of it. So now he is rethinking about going or how to go and avoid problems. Thanks again for all the replies.

Thanks for the update, and your info may help someone else down the road.

If I were your friend, and did this trip, I would keep careful track of a) registration requirements by state, b) other requirements such as how close one can be to a school, day care, etc., c) what I did/when/who I spoke with to comply with requirements in each state.

Like a logbook. Seriously.

It’s not that it can’t be done, but he doesn’t want to be arrested somewhere.

Careful documentation and scrupulous compliance could mean a great deal.

Thanks for the update, and your info may help someone else down the road.

If I were your friend, and did this trip, I would keep careful track of a) registration requirements by state, b) other requirements such as how close one can be to a school, day care, etc., c) what I did/when/who I spoke with to comply with requirements in each state.

Like a logbook. Seriously.

It’s not that it can’t be done, but he doesn’t want to be arrested somewhere.

Careful documentation and scrupulous compliance could mean a great deal.
That's why he is writing rather than calling, he'll have the replies in writing so if something came up he can say 'see, this is what I was told by the head person'. He told me one state (Mississippi?) wants a 10 day notice before entering the state and written permission to camp in any public campground. I'm starting to feel sorry for him. He did his time 40 years ago but people still won't let him live his life freely. Drug dealers do their time then go right back to dealing and nothing much is done about it.

First, I am seriously impressed by the lack of thorough reading comprehension in regards to the first post.

Second, I'm glad to hear your friend is doing good due diligence and getting written information from each state.

I think the main way it might impact you would be if he is detained for some reason. You guys would want to have a plan for that. What to do with his vehicle so it's not impounded, how to help him get released if necessary, etc.

Hanging out with a guy with 40 year old felony if he's in the wrong place isn't something you can be charged for. He's an adult and you didn't force him to be anywhere. If you aren't breaking the law, you don't have to concern yourself.

I say go on the trip and enjoy it with your friend if that's what you actually prefer doing. You're driving separately. So it's not like you can't plan around a state that has requirements that don't work for your trip.

He'll know shortly which states will work and which won't for him. If you want to visit a state that's difficult for him to visit, go for it. You guys can meet up later.

But do have things in mind on how to handle a potential problem. Maybe AAA for towing his car to a safe place if the worst happens. Which is unlikely.

Yep, it can be a real dilemma for what might have amounted to adolescent lust.

You can be a sex offender whether your “victim” was a peer just underage, or a child.

He’s lucky you had the foresight to ask what he/you might encounter, rather than him learning some hard lessons once he was in the US.

Drug dealers still have the convictions on their record, which show up in background checks, and isn’t there a 3 convictions = life in federal prison?

They don’t exactly get to continue on as if they have done nothing, but it is definitely different.

With sex offenders, those laws are primarily about doing everything that can be done to prevent offender access to future victims.

Yep, it can be a real dilemma for what might have amounted to adolescent lust.

You can be a sex offender whether your “victim” was a peer just underage, or a child.

He’s lucky you had the foresight to ask what he/you might encounter, rather than him learning some hard lessons once he was in the US.

Drug dealers still have the convictions on their record, which show up in background checks, and isn’t there a 3 convictions = life in federal prison?

They don’t exactly get to continue on as if they have done nothing, but it is definitely different.

With sex offenders, those laws are primarily about doing everything that can be done to prevent offender access to future victims.
I don't know or care what the charge was for, he did his time. But you are misinformed. In some states you have to register as a sex offender just for peeing in public. It doesn't mean you are a child molester but that is the first thing people think of. And I feel that drug dealers should have to register. I'd like to know if there's one living next to a school or playground.

I don't know or care what the charge was for, he did his time. But you are misinformed. In some states you have to register as a sex offender just for peeing in public. It doesn't mean you are a child molester but that is the first thing people think of. And I feel that drug dealers should have to register. I'd like to know if there's one living next to a school or playground.
How about if neither has to register? Why harp on drug dealers, because of an injustice done to sex offenders?

I think you misunderstood Rose. She is probably referring to consensual teen sex. Many teens became (become) sex offenders for having consensual teen sex.

Your friend did his time. It's no longer a charge... a charge would mean he has a warrant. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Your friend is preparing properly.

First, I am seriously impressed by the lack of thorough reading comprehension in regards to the first post.

Second, I'm glad to hear your friend is doing good due diligence and getting written information from each state.

I think the main way it might impact you would be if he is detained for some reason. You guys would want to have a plan for that. What to do with his vehicle so it's not impounded, how to help him get released if necessary, etc.

Hanging out with a guy with 40 year old felony if he's in the wrong place isn't something you can be charged for. He's an adult and you didn't force him to be anywhere. If you aren't breaking the law, you don't have to concern yourself.

I say go on the trip and enjoy it with your friend if that's what you actually prefer doing. You're driving separately. So it's not like you can't plan around a state that has requirements that don't work for your trip.

He'll know shortly which states will work and which won't for him. If you want to visit a state that's difficult for him to visit, go for it. You guys can meet up later.

But do have things in mind on how to handle a potential problem. Maybe AAA for towing his car to a safe place if the worst happens. Which is unlikely.
No, I wouldn't be breaking the law by being with him. It's the point of view of guilt by association. I've had top security clearance since my early 20s up to my retirement and a few after. So my background is clean but that doesn't stop people thinking that I just hadn't been caught, look who I hang out with. It's a screwed up world.

I planned on getting AAA as it could be very useful.

Well, I haven’t heard of peeing in public making one a sex offender, but that could be true. Might depend on when, where and how much flesh was showing. 🙄

At any rate, you and he now have more information than you did, and I do wish you both well.

I would highly recommend AAA, have had it 20+ years.

Update 2: If this helps others great, but as laws change all the time I would suggest checking for yourself. Not counting AK and HI, 11 states don't care about his past so he can stay in them as long as he wants. 17 states have limits before needing to register, anywhere from 1 day to 15 days. 14 states he would need to register as soon as he drove into them and 7 states say "check with us when you get here and we will decide then." In those states from reading the replies he received I guess they look at how long ago, the circumstances and how long he plans on being in the state.

So I guess I feel comfortable with traveling / parking together. There may be more knocks than usual for me if I'm parked near him but oh well. And from talking with LEOs that I know, the automatic plate readers only alert them if the vehicle is stolen or the owner is wanted so just driving down the road shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again for all of your replies.

…..,
So maybe some of you could tell me how many times during your travels do you know, or think, your plates were ran being from out of state. And where they were ran, parking lots, on the road, etc. Thanks.
I have no way of knowing how many times my plates have been run. It is now not at all unusual for meter maids, small town parking enforcement, traffic cams etc to capture images of license plates from every vehicle on the road and run them through an automated computer program.

In my neighborhood in Seattle there are cameras at the stop lighted intersections that are used to issue tickets by mail to people who run red lights.There were also newspaper articles about the police photographing the plates of everyone parked on the streets and running those plate numbers through the police department computers.

You could be driving down a highway and the patrol cars might be capturing your license plate as well as checking your speed.

It is certainly not paranoia to think you are being watched and checked out. Technology has made it common for your license plates to be scanned and checked by a computer program using AI technology. But the criteria of what they are looking for and when they look is being challenged in various courts. Running a red light is one thing, snooping just to snoop is another.

You will just have to decide for yourself exactly how worried you are about getting hassled for traveling with your friend. It could happen, it might never happen but at sometime or another his plates are likely to be scanned and run through a police department’s computer even if he has not violated any traffic laws because they might have been looking for someone else in that area. What their response will be is unknown to any of us because it is a situational response rather than a universal law enforcement policy.

Last edited:
...but as... assume... LEO... would come up therefore being up
a)
We plate each of our vehicles in a business name.
All the DBAs ('doing business as' (plural)) go to a post-office box several counties away from anyplace we reside.
Decades of doing it this way, zero issues, zero questions about our system.
I worked in three penitentiary settings.
I prefer work to be separate from home.
Weird, eh?
b)
I think you are placing far more enthusiasm in LawEnforcementOfficials than they earn.
Ask any LawEnforcementOfficial -- or any other bureaucrat -- about doing anything more than the least minimum to collect the paycheck.
You may discover you can do pretty much anything as long as nobody complains.
What might instigate a complaint?
Well, if you did a 'Blues Brothers' and drive through a shopping-maul, I imagine that would probably get your plates run.
Otherwise, just pretend 'stealth' has some kind of viable basis in recognizable reality.
It doesn't, of course, but we can pretend.

Latest posts