Any tips or advice for a soon new and frightened dweller?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instead of doing all these long strings of DIY conversations in a newcomers thread, which is really all about meeting and greeting newcomers, all these conversations about how to do specific things have own threads in this forum that are focused on those specific concerns such as electrical and van builds as well as safety on the road, cooking, hygiene etc. Many newcomers just don't realize that is how the forum is setup so they post everything they want to learn in their introduction. Of course we are all very tempted to answer all such questions right away using the newcomers thread. I know I am guilty of that :(

gslanm said:
What do you guys do when it snows and you wake up parked with 12 inches? Where do you get fresh water when there's generally no park faucets or RV camps anywhere near NY/NJ here? My best guess was bring 1 gallon containers and fill them up one by one at accessible stores or gyms or something like that, but I know of no outdoor accessible water source really in this area.
This might be a stupid question but if you guys use solar panels, do they work/charge on the dashboard decently until/if I can mount them on a roof once I figure this all out?
I'm in Philly and I think if you can get out of NY/NJ you will find it easier in PA. Here's a simple IKEA build, for less that $1000, just furnishings and no other costs like Electricity and that's expensive. Get a cot, a bucket potty, and a few totes that stack well. The plastic drawers and fabric dresser storage work.
I have a Jackery 500 which you can get solar panels for. I don't know how that compares with Yeti. Yes solar panels work through glass so I imagine you could put them in your windsheild like a shade but that's hardly stealth.
It sounds like you are working, can you just bring in your Yeti/Jackery and plug it in to recharge at work?
When there's snow a lot of city parking garages are free in Philly, vans are not accepted at most but it's probably best to scope a few and park there.
Water. Churches can often help also community rec centers where you can get a shower. But you need filter jugs or to buy spring water to drink, City water in Philly sucks.
Mental Health. What health insurance do you have if any? You really need to pay attention to that, can you have a mental health provider via a health app on your phone? Do you have a faith community who can help you out with a support group? You need to be very strategic about staging your transition so you don't get overwhelmed, isolated, and without support. Strategize and test the life out with whatever vehicle you now have, for longer stays. Good luck. Look through all the different types of forums here. There's an enormous amount of good info.

i'm scared too, so i can relate. and i just got a cargo van, white with no side windows, only front and rear. i really do not like the idea of sleeping in a tin can with windows. people regularly smash vehicle windows, at least in urban areas they do... i'm thinking seriously of getting a bulkhead partition - that is those metal things that separate the driver from cargo compartments. i'd want one to protect me when i'm sleeping. i'm also trying to figure out how to secure the doors from the inside. oh, and i want to be able to get to the driver seat from inside my tin can............. idk if you've thought of these things.

i've camped, but only when i was young. people suggesting a dry run with whatever you got --- idk, i always figured i'd just hate that. i'd consider moving somewhere where the weather is not as severe as back east... the snow, the humidity, the bugs. for stealth, that seems tricky.... but i want to do stealth also........ best of luck!

Gslam
I appreciate you sharing your concerns about embarking on a new lifestyle. I share some of your same concerns. In some ways I've been preparing for my own change my whole life. My father was career military and I went to five different schools in my first 5 years. I spent 20 years in the military myself so I've experienced many different changes. New environments every few years. As I didn't know any better I thought it was normal to change things up every 2-3 years. I always found it strange when I met people who had lived in the same house their whole life with their extended families in the same neighborhood. I had trouble to be honest wondering why they would do that. It seemed so boring to me. Bottom line change is the only constant and I've embraced it. I'm looking forward to the unknown. I think if you're open to change you will come enjoy it. Sorry for being long winded but I understand the uncertainty that change brings. You will do just fine.
Again thanks for sharing your concerns and thanks to the memers who have been supportive.

In doing a self build I find it best to get all the things you want to take on the road, THEN do the build to accommodate them. I’ve seen many great builds done only to find out that the things they want to take won’t fit in the storage areas they built.

Some other things to possibly think about.
- Do you need more than 1 bath towel?
- Do you need more than 2 plates, knives, forks, spoon?
- A good comfortable mattress is very important.
- More than 1 weeks worth of clothes?
- Do you really need more than 1 saucepan and a fry pan? Coffee water can be heated in a saucepan just as well as a kettle.
- Do you really need to carry extra bed sheets?

Just some things to get you thinking. I like to pull into a boondocking spot and set up is as simple as parking and being able to jump in bed. Not having to unload or reorganize anything.

Best of luck

gslanm said:
On the east coast water procurement is probably hard. There's really no parks with fountains or RV things anywhere here. The closest is PA maybe. I have no idea how I'd fill up 3-5 gallons a day for shower/cooking. Any ideas?

Walmart and many grocery stores sell spring water by the gallon, usually inside the front entrance... just bring your own gallon jugs to fill.  But do you really need 3-5 gals a day? That seems like a lot for being on the road. Maybe you can practice minimizing your water usage now, to get an idea of how much you would really use.

I'm new to this life too.  I've just found a local handyman-builder who'll turn my new-to-me 2012 Rav4 into a camper by removing the back seats for extra storage with a low platform to sleep on. He has all kinds of great ideas I never would have thought of.... in fact, he's as enthusiastic about this as I am! :D  

For the last month I've been practicing in-house, cooking meals on my new Gas-One one-burner stove, washing dishes with minimal water, reducing showers to every other day with sponge baths in-between, and sleeping on the floor on the cot-sized mattress.

Maybe you could do the same?