Source for salsa packets?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanForNow

Reaction score
I like to add salsa to certain dishes, but in the stores I can only find it in containers which need to be refrigerated after opening. The problem is, the salsa tends to go bad even when refrigerated because I don't use it very often.

Can someone suggest a source for one-serving sealed packets of salsa?  I have searched Minimus, but they don't have what I want. I prefer chunky salsa, not the blended ketchup-type stuff. Thanks.

I don't know what type of salsa you are looking for or where you are looking. Herdez sells small cans of salsa,

http://shopfoodex.com/herdez-salsa-...MI-_WN4cy-4AIVCglpCh0vFgxJEAYYBiABEgJnHvD_BwE

Herdez is pretty close to authentic Mexican salsa, they have many types and around the southwest it you can find it at regular stores as well as Mexican stores.

Embasa is another authentic brand that you can also find in the small cans. both Embasa and Herdez are the only brands you find in the small neighborhood Mexican stores. at least around here. that right there speaks volumes.

I buy the Herdez in the larger glass jars. I don't refrigerate after opening. I don't hesitate to keep it a couple months once open and not refrigerated. if you are afraid it will go bad then all you have to do is eat it faster.

frankly I would be hesitant to call any salsa in packets authentic.

highdesertranger

Cooking with fresh, or frozen, ingredients would be an option. I’m a part timer that lives in a town with a good food bank. Occasionally I get organic tomatoes that run through a $20 Amazon dehydrator. Onions keep well. Good organic peppers are harder to find. Colorado based Natural Grocers has them in Flaggstaff and Sedona. They can be chopped and frozen.

just google 'salsa packets' and you hit a ton of options to buy pre-packaged salsa in single serve use.
Get a box....like order a box of 12 for $24....have it delivered and you are set for a while.

minimus.biz

Tons of small portions.  Not just food.

Finding things on the internet is all about the right keywords.
Of course you already know one of them which is the product you want to buy...Salsa
what you were missing was the most commonly used descriptive designation for the size ...single serving

Copy and paste these keywords
salsa single serving

I can purchase single serving packets of many types of condiments used in the fast food restaurants from stores that sell supplies to food trucks, taco stands and coffee shops. But you will likely only find such stores in a city of some size such as Seattle, Portland, Phoenix, Boise, Los Angeles, etc. You do need to pay attention to the shelf life pull dates if you buy a box of packets.

On the West Coast one of those chains of supply stores that does sell to the general public as well as businesses is https://www.smartfoodservice.com/locations/

Sam's Club and Costco also stock some single serving packets sold in quantity.

Here's what I do. I go to Taco Bell, go to the inside counter and buy a couple tacos, a burrito or whatever I have a taste for, to go. Next I walk over to their condiments area and take however many packets of salsa I want and throw them in my bag. I've never had anyone say that I was taking too many. Afterall, I'm a paying customer. If I want a poop load of salsa with my tacos that's my business, right? I've got the pocket on my car door full right now. They have several different heat ranges. I like the "fire" one. Unfortunately they no longer have their salsa verde, which I liked on my burrito. Come to think of it, I haven't bought a burrito there in quite some time because they stopped offering the green sauce.

Chip

I used to grab tons of those from Taco Bell too.

I don't know why, maybe because I lived in hot areas, but they seemed to go bad pretty quickly even when stored in closed cabinets in an apartment or house. This has happened to me over and over again, because for years I would eat fast food at least a couple times a week and always gather more packets.

I've seen ketchup and mayo in those small packets go bad too, so now when I open one, I tend to pour a bit out on the plate first to see if it's still looking good, rather than risk spoiling my food by using them without checking first.

Salsa at Taco Bell? hahaha that's to funny, don't you mean ketchup with pepper in it. although maybe they have changed as it's been at least 25 years since I have eaten at one of those.

I guess no one cares about the great amount of waste associated with those single use packages.

highdesertranger

The packets at fast food stores come inside of boxes that have date codes on them. The fast food places go through a box pretty quickly and they do watch the pull dates. However the warehouse supply system they get the supplies from will be giving them product that has a date code that is quite likely fairly soon as that is the stock that gets sold first. In the winter and early spring months fast food joints don't have as much business so those packets might not have much shelf life time left on them. Versus the warmer weather months when more people are out and about and tend to go to drive up fast food places more often so that the supply of packets gets replenished more rapidly meaning fresher stock of inventory moving through the whole fast food industry system.

The whole thing involves a giant, integrated system of factories, warehouses and delivery drivers with the fast food joint being the last stop before your belly.

Hey, don't be running down my Taco Smell!

What exactly do you mean by bad? Do you mean, "make you sick" bad? Because I usually get the runs when I eat there anyway, so it's hard to tell exactly what caused it. That's why they call it Taco Hell - the infamous butt burn. Or do you mean discolored, dark and runny bad? I really hadn't noticed any turn color. Maybe the really spicy, "fire" sauce lasts longer than the mild stuff that I never touch.

Now I have seen catsup (or is it ketchup?) packets turn dark and vinegary if sitting for a while in the sun. It might taste a little off, but it's never made me sick that I can remember.

Ya gotta watch mayo packets though. Bad mayo can kill, ya.

I don't think old mustard would hurt you as it is already mostly vinegar. What's it going to do, turn back to wine? They you'd have dijon. Perhaps that is what dijon mustard is. Do you have any Gray Poupon? In a jar please, no packets. ;)

Chip

Just, like ... it doesn't look right. Dry or too watery ... the texture is way off. It makes you think some air has probably gotten in and turned it.

I've seen it with other things, too. Ketchup, for instance. But Taco Bell sauce packets seem to go bad especially quickly IME.