Bye Bye tin cans????

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maki2

Reaction score
Of course I noticed several years ago that companies that make soup and broths had started to use cartons to package their products. The same types of packaging that those box juices and milks for kids come in. Last month I found condensed milk from Carnation being sold in two different size soft package containers. Today I when i was grocery shopping I found one company selling canned beans and other veggies in those containers.

I hope that trend continues because for a nomad it is pretty terrific. Those containers fit tight together without all the wasted space a round can takes up. Some of them also had small quantity sizes which as a single traveler with limited refrigerator space is pretty much ideal for my needs. As far as trash goes a carton that is easy to flatten out is much easier to deal with than removing the top and bottom of a can to flatten it out. No sharp edges either.

I am also quite fond of the single serving foil lined packets of precooked foods. I find those for a very reasonable price at the Dollar Store, Trader Joes, Grocery Outlet Bargain Market, some at Walmart and in Asian supermarkets. Also in Fred Meyer in the ethnic foods area but Fred Meyer is excessively high priced compared to all the other sources.

I’m a big fan of zip lock bags for food storage of all types - repacks, my own cooking, and mixes.

With dry materials I believe it is safe to reuse.

DLTooley said:
I’m a big fan of zip lock bags for food storage of all types - repacks, my own cooking, and mixes. 

With dry materials I believe it is safe to reuse.
My interest in an alternative for cans is for traditional types of food that comes in cans  versus having dry dehydrated everything.  Of course once you open a wet canned food it then needs to be refrigerated. Most dry foods do not require refrigeration after opening the package.

Because I have a very small fridge almost everything I put into it is transferred into zip lock bags. All the fresh veggies get cleaned, chopped into the sizes I need for cooking and then put into ziplocks. I can fit a lot more food in my fridge with no wasted space doing it that way.

Boxes versus round cans allow me to use the available space in my drawers, cabinets and bin boxes without an wasted space in the empty voids between round cans.

Most boxes of dry foods I purchase such as rice, instant potatoes, oatmeal etc also get immediately transferred into ziplock bags with the excess air squeezed out to help reduce the space and to keep things fresher. This also includes jars of instant coffee, no need to tote around a heavy glass jar that everyday contains a little less volume of coffee inside of it.

I used to buy chili in cartons 15 years ago. I guess it didn't sell well because I stopped seeing it in stores. It was perfect, especially for camping. Low weight, just toss it on the camp fire when you're finished.

Reducto said:
I used to buy chili in cartons 15 years ago. I guess it didn't sell well because I stopped seeing it in stores. It was perfect, especially for camping. Low weight, just toss it on the camp fire when you're finished.
from the info I am seeing on the internet that was the Hormel Co. They quit because they had problems with the cartons they were using. There are better quality cartons around than the ones they used.

Interestingly enough another thing I found out is these "tetrapak cartons" have the lowest carbon foot print of all the commercial food packaging. They are completely recyclable but it takes special machinery. However many cities and counties do have a recycling facility for them. You can search it out by zip code on this web site:  https://www.recyclecartons.com/

But I don't know if I would do that as I don't like to haul garbage around for long, especially food contaminated trash as it attracts, rodents, flies and develops odors. Rinsing out the container is possible but for nomadic life that is not always practical and then you still have food contaminated water on the ground of a campsite unless you have a grey water tank system you can empty at an RV dump site. Nothing is perfect for a nomadic and right now the grocery stores are not even letting customers take in their own containers for bulk food purchases. But I was able to actually buy and bag my own chipotle chili powder today at one of my favorite grocery stores I happen to be camping close to. Not easy to find pre packaged in the Pacific NW except at Mexican groceries or Grocery Outlet Bargain Market.

I think flexible pouch packaging is gaining more of the market lately.   It takes up less space in the cardboard box that it is shipped in so a smaller box can be used which shaves even more cost off the shipping of the product.   As for the cost/benefit of washing out plastic film containers,  that may depend on the environment you live in.  At a home with some type of sewage available it wouldn't matter and there would be more space than in a rig.  But it would be a different situation in a rig at a campground with only a water source.   If I were going to recycle those I would look for packages with the dual zip lock feature.  Cleanliness of that zip lock feature is important as it could be a breeding ground for bacteria contamination due to the structure of the sealing surfaces.   A little chlorine bleach in the rinse water when washing them out may be a good measure.

FPA org  has a great site detailing the positive impact of this type of packaging.

FPA org

Yep, I like to travel with foods that take up only their own space.

I take crackers out of their boxes and store just the bags, carry foil packets of tuna, packets of dehydrated potatoes, etc., and transfer pasta from boxes into ziplocs.

I try to put foods away immediately after purchasing, leaving cracker boxes in the trash bins at the grocery store.

I nearly always reuse freezer ziplock bags that I’ve used for storage, washing them in hot water and soap before letting them thoroughly air dry.

At home, I portion out meats and freeze leftovers in my vacuum sealer, but on the road I use freezer ziplocks.

I never reheat food in ziplock bags, tho.

Space economy is always important when you are traveling small,

I like cans 'cause they are rodent proof.  And are generally cheaper (e.g. tuna: cans vs. pouches).

As for cleaning up - that's the beagle's job.  My diet mostly consists of foods that are dog compatible.  And I use a can opener that doesn't leave a sharp edge.  Oscar will work hard at getting every last molecule of nutrition out of a tuna can.

And a can, if left alone, will eventually return to earth.  Whereas glass and plastics need special handling to recycle.

Tuna pouches are definetly a lot more expensive for each ounce of food in them.

Canned goods are more affordable per ounce. If course cooking from basic ingedients saves the most money upfront many times. But for foods that need a long cooking time tou need a cheap or free source of fuel to keep the cost of the meal to a minimum. Which is why canned oor tetrapac boxes or pouches can be an Ok bargain as they mostly just need a quick heating time if you want a hot meal. But if hungry and and you have no fuel they are safe to eat as they are pre cooked.

maki2 said:
But I don't know if I would do that as I don't like to haul garbage around for long, especially food contaminated trash as it attracts, rodents, flies and develops odors.

A 5gall. bucket with a Gamma seal lid is good for storing garbage for quite some time.

Interesting discussion.  I am conflicted over zip locks.  Overall, I am trying to reduce reliance on plastics, but they are truly useful.  After a recent return to the S&B, I washed 18 (turned inside out, poked out corners, scrubbed zips, etc).  Lots of water and labor, but it made me feel better.  In the food box, they are helpful to group items into easy to grab "meal kits".  I don't bother with them in the cooler, except to store "clean" ice.

I would be interested in any cold storage space savings tips.  For the cooler months, I've started putting produce and things that are best kept cool (chocolate!), but don't need to be cold in a small cooler with a container of frozen water.  When that melts, it is refilled with a little ice from the bag in the big chest.

In figuring cost per ounce, I suppose the amount of liquid needs to be considered (and the hassle of draining tuna, for example).  On the other hand, for rice and pasta dishes that need liquid, the juice from canned chicken or tomatoes adds flavor and nutrition.  I never discharge grey water at a camp site, so that's a factor in meal planning, too.

Free fuel?  You bet.  I really, really like solar cooking when the sun's "on" and have had great results with a couple of cheap and very portable DIY models.  No sun?  No brownies.  Bummer.

I try to use as few canned goods as possible.

I just don’t like the idea of my food interacting with aluminum, particularly tomatoes.

I like the space saving element of pouch tuna, also that it doesn’t have to be drained.  It is a bit more expensive.

I invented what I call a “tuna un-salad” sandwich, where I scrape tuna from one pouch out onto a slice of bread, top with pickle relish and then a smear of miracle whip, top with another slice of bread.

Rye is my favorite.

No mixing in a bowl, just layer it up and eat.   :rolleyes:

I like to use mostly fresh ingredients at home, but traveling it seems I use more just heat and serve stuff. I like to take some of my own canned stuff. Jams, fruit etc. But then I have to bring the empty jars home. Frozen precooked meats, and stuff. I like cans when things are going to be stored for long to keep the rodents out. I have seen those buggers get into some pretty tough buckets so I know a little plastic bag is no challenge. That is why I store my crackers, cereal and cookies in an old tin coffee can. I can see the need to have things take up less room. Maybe I'm just to worried about the rodents... For stuff in the ice chest and little freezer thing everything was in zip locks and flattened out as much as possible.
We had one small box of milk from the dollar store that didn't need to be stored cold until opened... I don't know how well the factory packaging would fair verses the home packaged stuff, not that I would try to box my own milk, but other stuff.
I love to get the single serve stuff as hubby and I have some very different likes as far as soups and stuff.
I want to work at making more ways to pack the fresh stuff. This last time out we took some pears from our trees in a string bag and hung them on a hook so they didn't bump anything while driving and they stayed good one bumped against the dish pan and was squishy, but the rest made it great. The onions and carrots and 'tatos made in with out hanging up but the onion got bumped a bit. We just used it fast.
I like to cook and need to keep working at stuff.

WanderingRose said:
I invented what I call a “tuna un-salad” sandwich, where I scrape tuna from one pouch out onto a slice of bread, top with pickle relish and then a smear of miracle whip, top with another slice of bread.

Dang. I thought it was just us wretched bachelors that slapped stuff together like that.  :p

vanbrat said:
I like to cook and need to keep working at stuff.
I'm with you vanbrat on cooking, my favorite part of road trips is preparing good meals, not just something to satisfy an appetite. I enjoy planning out the meals and figuring out optimal packaging, etc. I try to target the non can soups, etc. They now have squeeze bag refried beans that are excellent. (well I am not a picky eater)  I need to find condensed milk that is soft carton and a few other items that I seem to buy in cans or jars.  They have soft pack jalapenos now!! woohoo  It is amazing how much space  empty cans and jars take up in your garbage, more and more will be going to soft packaging as the technology improves, least that's what I think.   One exception, I do not want my beer in a milk carton with a straw stuck in it!!

bagabum said:
....  I need to find condensed milk that is soft carton .....
Carnation now sells condensed milk that is in a soft carton. It comes in two sizes, small and medium. I have found it in a number of stores but not in every grocery store. Kroger seems to stock it in their chain of stores which covers several names of stores including Safeway, Fred Meyer, QFC and other chains they have bought up.  I like condensed milk for my coffee and for putting onto hot cereal. Of course also for making hot chai tea which is one of my favorite winter time beverages. Trader Joe Chai tea bags are really good!.

The dollar tree store usually has quart sizes of shelf stable milk in the tetra pak style milk cartons. This is the same kind of milk product that is in those school lunch box sized milk cartons. It is OK tasting, not quite the same as fresh milk but not horrible tasting eithe. Because it is treated to a high temperature process it does not spoil quickly in the fridge after it is opened. So very handy to stock in the pantry if you plan on staying out boondocking for a while without going into town, as are of course the school lunch box sizes of milk.

"I invented what I call a “tuna un-salad” sandwich, where I scrape tuna from one pouch out onto a slice of bread, top with pickle relish and then a smear of miracle whip, top with another slice of bread."

I add a bit of chopped onion and chopped apple for a gourmet tuna sandwich. I'll bet your tuna un-salad tastes way better than packets of pre-made tuna salad.

I should try one of those packets of tuna, and compare the price with the canned tuna.

Eons ago (when I was young), canned meats (and maybe some other foods) that contained water or juices had a net weight on the label that only referred to the weight of solids in it, not the juices or the can itself.

These days, the 'net weight' includes the meat AND the juices. In some brands, there's almost more liquid than solids. With the ripoff mentality of businesses these days, those packets may actually be cheaper than the cans.

I'll have to check them out.