Bye Bye tin cans????

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy tuna in packets at WalMart, and they carry multi packs that are cheaper than individual pouches.

Nothing to drain, everything in the pouch is edible and high quality protein.

Lightweight, keep a long time.

What’s not to love?

I get the tuna packets at Dollar Tree. I watch for salmon packets, too, but may have to pay more and get those elsewhere. I enjoy a one-pot hot meal of salmon and rice with a few veggies added. There are packets of pre-cooked rice now in mutiple flavors: wild rice, garden vegetable, basami, jasmin....makes for quick, easy meals.

I have yet to find tuna in a pouch that tastes like what I want to eat. I settled on yellow fin solid pack with olive oil, packed in a metal can. I drink whatever oil would be drained. My favorite brand is Portofino. I used to buy a Canadian product, but it is unavailable lately. I have never seen tomatoes packed in aluminum cans. Or any other vegetable products for that matter. Canned tomatoes are better nutritionally than fresh tomatoes. Fresh are better on sandwiches.

Okay, they may be tin rather than aluminum cans.   :)

I still don’t like the idea of foods, particularly acidic tomatoes, interacting with the metal. I have read that they are carcinogenic, in cans.

And that’s just me. :)

WanderingRose said:
I invented what I call a “tuna un-salad” sandwich, where I scrape tuna from one pouch out onto a slice of bread, top with pickle relish and then a smear of miracle whip, top with another slice of bread.

Just like mom used to make...nothing beats home-cooking....

:D

All the basic ingredients, but for chopped hard boiled egg which I might add at home.

Keep it simple, avoid as much pre-made and processed food as possible, my motto.

And especially when traveling, keep dishes down to an absolute minimum.  :D

OK, I have found what you have all been hinting around for but afraid to ask where to get it because I need it.... at the dollar store!!

Attachments

• spam.jpg
    spam.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 5
Nowadays the tin cans that acidic foods such as tomatoes go into often have a plastic coating on the interior of the can as do the inside of metal lids used on glass jars of tomato based products such as pasta sauce. But i dont imzpagine that a van dweller has enough room to stockpile years worth of tinned food in a vehicle and the big grocery stores try to have a quick turnover of their stock as well. So watch the use by dates on what you buy abd you wont have significant leaching issues to worry about.

Spaceman Spiff said:
I like cans 'cause they are rodent proof.  And are generally cheaper (e.g. tuna: cans vs. pouches).

As for cleaning up - that's the beagle's job.  My diet mostly consists of foods that are dog compatible.  And I use a can opener that doesn't leave a sharp edge.  Oscar will work hard at getting every last molecule of nutrition out of a tuna can.
Good one, spiff, +1 on the dog, :).

Open packages like tuna and meat cans are a real mess after removing the food for a meal. When on the road, I immediately fill the empties with dirt, rather than putting a wet smelly mess into a garbage bag.

A year ago, I accidentally left some dry food in the van after traveling. Then I was getting ready to head to Arizona in December and found an eaten packet and mouse poop all over inside the van. I ended up moving everything out and totally cleaning the van. Now what I do is store dry and packaged foods in hard sided coolers.

A posteriori learning beats out a priori theory every day of the week.

Qxxx said:
 Now what I do is store dry and packaged foods in hard sided coolers

I was planning on storing anything that would attract rodents in regular plastic storage bins with lids. Your answer now got me wondering....will critters eat through the regular plastic bins?

I guarantee you that the critters will eat through plastic, even some that appear to be heavy. Got to be metal in my mind. I find it thrift stores often have metal cookie tins and such after the holidays for cheap. One of the problems is there always round and round takes up more space in your cabinet than Square. This thread reminds me I have some tightening up to do also before I get in trouble.

^I have two such cans on open shelves in the van....I use a Harbor Freight magnet (x2) screwed to the shelf.....The can is held by the magnet

Crackers and snacks........the cans never fall off the shelf

One is a "Charlie Chip" can........................

The tetra pack style of containers are not the cause of having mice. The mice living inside your van issue is fixable, close up their points of entry. That should be a first step when starting any type of build as it is a health and safety issue. Buying tin cans is a band aid solution, not a real fix.

I think storing food in the christmas popcorn tins is a great idea. I had three for backpacking use but threw them away in my last move. Gonna get one or two more for traveling food.

The dollar stores do have quite a few tin containers...and plastic too :)

They also have food such as Tuna in single serving pouches
They even have shelf stable milk in tetrapack cartons as well as some soups and broths in that packaging

But one of my favorite treats that never makes it into storage is they often have single serving size cartons of ice cream in their freezer section. Of course it is not one of the premium brands but it will do for an ice cream fix now and again when I am shopping at one.

I will be picking up some more single serving pouches and some tetra pack foods at Walmart when I pass through Warrenton, Oregon later this week. Don't want to get too far ahead on grocery shopping as my pantry space is limited.

I don't have an issue with mice. My travel trailer is molded fiberglass, there are no holes for mice to enter and no voids where they can build a nest.

Of course my tow vehicle is much more vulnerable to such an invasion but I am not storing food in it. But so far no evidence of rodent invasions in it. But I suppose I should take a good look at the underside for potential access spots to the interior and if there are any take measures to secure the opening in a suitable way. I travel with an inspection mirror on a retractable arm, it has a built in LED light. Good item for your tool box. Pretty easy to find them in hardware stores.

I try to keep a couple of Kitchen Basics 8.25 oz of chicken stock in my home and travel pantry.

They are a small cardboard carton, and handy for adding flavor to this or that without opening a can I can’t use up all at once, or resorting to a bouillon cube.

When I can get into an Amish grocery, they have a dehydrated chicken broth base that is delicious and made with real chicken.

If you ever have the chance to get into an Amish grocer, they are an amazing and economical resource.

The issue about rodents is interesting. We have a big ol' Dodge Truck and don't use it to much anymore. Had to go get something big off island one day and fired it up. Had to stop at a busy traffic light and saw something fly out from under my side of the truck. It was a huge rat yuk! The car behind us stopped at the ferry landing and asked if we noticed it, they said they saw it climb out of the tailpipe or something. It was big enough to make them get out and talk to us, complete strangers! The truck was running rough and the trany was missing so hubby put it on the rack and was getting the trany filter and fluid changed. He was worried the rat may have chewed something. He said the filter or what ever would not drain, so he pulled it out and looked closer, then he made me come and look. There was a rodent stuck in the filter. YUK! AND YUK! don't know how it got there, but never underestimated the power of a rodent.

They don't like moth balls so now we keep some moth balls, in the shed where we keep the apple press. They come in, but don't stick around. We keep things like bird seed and dog food and dry goods in metal containers.

For the last 20 years, clever auto manufacturers have been using soy-based wiring insulation, instead of rubber or plastic. Soy is a food product. It attracts rats, mice, squirrels, etc.

Deliberate? Probably.