Bye Bye tin cans????

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vanbrat said:
...They don't like moth balls so now we keep some moth balls, in the shed where we keep the apple press. They come in, but don't stick around. We keep things like bird seed and dog food and dry goods in metal containers.
Mothballs are a human carcinogen. Better to have rats than cancer.   -crofter

crofter said:
Mothballs are a human carcinogen. Better to have rats than cancer.   -crofter
That is why they are in the Shed, not the house or in my van unless it is in storage... Always air things out really good before using it again. I still like my metal cans for some things and I don't put mothballs in them, just the shed. Sometimes in the old RV we where going to rebuild, but not in the house or the van when we are using it.

BelgianPup said:
I should try one of those packets of tuna, and compare the price with the canned tuna.
 . . .

I finally got around to comparing tuna in cans and pouches:

Tuna pouch, 2.6 oz size, $1.24 at walmart
 - full pouch = 2.7 oz.
 - empty pouch = 0.1 oz.
 - tuna = 2.6 oz = 47.7¢ per oz.

Tuna can, 5 oz size, $0.74 at walmart
 - full can = 6.4 oz.
 - empty can = 1.1 oz
 - tuna with as much water squeezed out as I could = 2.7 oz = 27.4¢ per oz.

Where I shop they regularly have the pouches on sale at 10 for $10.

So that's about 38 cents/ounce.

I sometimes make a casserole with noodles or rice, so the water in the cans gets used.

So I buy both.

I get chicken at Winco for 55 cents a pound. I get peas and beans, high protein sources, on sale at a dollar a pound or less, often much less. Corn even cheaper, though I'm not much into that. Quinoa at less than $3 a pound, another high protein source, but a pound goes a very long way.

You guys are paying nearly 5 bucks a pound for fish. I have more or less rarely-to-never paid 5 bucks a pound for any food over the last 40 years except for restaurant trips, entertaining guests, and some garnishes, toppings, and spices that are used so sparingly as to effectively obviate the price differential from dirt cheap food. At home such prices are nowhere near necessary.

It kind of boggles my mind to see you guys and gals so often pinching pennies on what is after all expensive food in the first place. Sometimes you even do it on really garbage good, just because it's pre-prepared. I wonder why you're even buying it in the first place, much less talking about how much you save.

One of my favorite video channels recently has a couple on it talking about how they go out to eat fast food all the time. Like that's cheap? Or good? Or healthy?

Okay rant over.

I think we could all take some food frugal tips from dingfelder ; ). If I eat tuna it is usually the $1 packet...guilty.

While on the road you have to balance cost,convenience,weight,storage utilization and available refrigeration with nutrition.

A $1.35 sandwich I make with a tuna pack is a lot more convenient and cheaper than a $4.00 Big Mac.

Maybe a little healthier,too.

Dingfelder said:
. . . 
You guys are paying nearly 5 bucks a pound for fish.  I have more or less rarely-to-never paid 5 bucks a pound for any food over the last 40 years
. . .

I eat 'expensive' meat because:
 1. - I like it.
 2. - I can afford it.
 3. - I enjoy meat.
 4. - I dislike the plant based complete proteins (soy, quinoa, et.al.).
 5. - Why eat something I hate?
 6. - Why eat like I live in a 3rd world country?
 7. - Did I mention I like eating meat?

You just need to get good at one of three things, fishing, hunting or bartering. Many people in Utah seldom buy meat. If you are smart enough to learn to follow the seasons to stay comfortable without spending a lot of money you should be able to learn the skills necessary to stay fed without spending a lot of money. My uncle traveled a circle route for many years between Montana in the summer to Tucson in the winter not to stay warm but to hunt, fish and trade. Furnishing meat or fish gets you invited to a lot of meals as well as gets your truck fixed if it breaks or a place to plug in and stay a few nights. Some of the best meals that I could have never been able to afford have been served to me by people I gave fish to or helped get fish. There is more meat in my freezer than I would ever be able to eat because I learned these three skills. Who would have thought you could turn a few fish into a spaghetti squash, sweet potatoes and a box of fresh vegetables in December!

Lets get back to the subject of tetra pac containers or foil pouches, etc.

This thead is not about how much you love tin cans. It is about alternatives in packaging to them. This is not about you defending your use of tin cans. Or about how much you prefer them. No one is judging you for using them so please quit defending  your position that you prefer them so that the conversation can focus on the alternative packaging types.

This is not about hunting, fishing and foraging to save money. There are lots of threads about that. How did mothballs even show up in a chat about food? Actually please don't answer that, because it is simply not related to food packaging.

Now I think I will go and make myself a cup of coffee that came not in a tin can but in a vacuum packed, foil lined,  alternative packaging container. Them more of it I use the smaller the packaging can be rolled up to keep it staying fresher than if it was in a large metal can. Plus it saves space versus a can.

Hopefully the moderator will move the hunting and fishing discussions to an apprpriate location.

I don't see tin cans disappearing all together in anyone's lifetime here. I don't see vienna sausages or potted meat coming in little cartons.
However, it would be a plus for cranberry sauce.

Thread drift is inconsequential on an inconsequential thread topic.

The thread title includes ???? which seems to invite a ton of discussion which would include pros and cons and more.

Bad news for the tin woman, the tin man won't be happy about this one bit.

If i could buy decent tuna in a pouch I would try it. But I only see caught and processed by slave labor products.

slow2day said:
Thread drift is inconsequential on an inconsequential thread topic.

The thread title includes ???? which seems to invite a ton of discussion which would include pros and cons and more.
how did you get off your leash?!!

REPORTED!! :p

This thread is not among the inconsequental variety. That is because the focus of alternative packaging  for food versus tin can packaging is about two matters of consequence to van and other small vehicle dwellers.
#1 is space savings.  To many every inch counts
#2 is weight savings. To many every ounce and pound matters

When the topic gets diverted from its intended purpose then of course it begins to become inconsequential to its intended purpose.

maki2 said:
This thread is not among the inconsequental variety. That is because the focus of alternative packaging  for food versus tin can packaging is about two matters of consequence to van and other small vehicle dwellers.
#1 is space savings.  To many every inch counts
#2 is weight savings. To many every ounce and pound matters

When the topic gets diverted from its intended purpose then of course it begins to become inconsequential to its intended purpose.
ahh... the perpetual dilema of whether or not those 2 cans of tuna will break my axle....
of course the packaging industry has van life concerns at the top of their list and so gave us ALL... a synthetic packet..that holds half the quantity but fits neatly in our glove box.

i guess i could just lose 10pounds off my rear and balance the weight???

The foil packets of tuna will help you with portion control so you lose weight faster.

Latest posts