Some People are just Asking for Trouble

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never one episode in any campground.

Re. washing machines. If you leave your clothes unattended and the washer stops for awhile, I can see someone wanting to move your wet clothes to another machine so they would have one that works or an empty one. I have put in detergent and my clothes only to lose my money to the machine when it doesn't work. I have had to pull clothes out of a dryer because someone went off somewhere else and weren't around to keep the machines open.

Heck, when I lived in an apartment, I had people sneak down to throw their dirty clothes in with my wash load to get a free wash. The worst was when someone threw what must have been completely urine-soaked diapers in there for the free ride. The entire load came out smelling like urine. So there I am with a heaping basket of urine-stinking-clothes.

So it's not just nomads who have manners you have to watch out for.

I've done a combination of backpacking and tent camping from motorcycles, cars/Jeeps and now vanning since the late 70's.
The AT, state and national parks, private campgrounds, state campgrounds and in my youth private lands I probably shouldn't have been on.
I've never had anything stolen.

I attribute that to a few things...

I try to stay away from people, away from other campers in campgrounds, away from campgrounds in state/national parks.
It's a lot scarier for a thief to walk around in the pitch black to my secluded/remote campsite and he's more obvious as "not belonging around there" in broad daylight.

I try not to bring anything of value that I'm not personally carrying.
Wallet, cell phone, vehicle keys, etc.
High value items like a tablet, good camera or laptop, get hidden away in an inconvenient to get to place, not left out in plain sight.

I try to make the camp look like someone just left and could be back at any moment.
If your camp chairs are all put away, cooler under the picnic bench, the tent zipped tight, the umbrella or awning closed and the clothesline empty, well you are clearly not home and are going to be away for a little while.
I've left small FM radios on inside a tent or vehicle, shades drawn so people can't be sure someone isn't around and just taking a nap.

I use a good locking hitch pin and lock BOTH safety chains to the vehicle. (Note: there is an appropriately rated shackle on the chains that actually takes the load if needed, the locks are security only not load bearing.)
If I have to park the trailer without the van, I use a locking hitchpin, one of those cast aluminum ball locks with bar and a high security hasp lock, a motorcycle high security chain and lock through one wheel and a long cable through the mounted spare tire and other wheel. Sure someone could defeat all 4 locks, but they will hopefully look for easier pickings.

What else could you do?

I have set triplines with fishing lines and bells/cans, but found I was only waking myself up to see nocturnal 4-legged creatures scampering off.

With small wireless cameras becoming more and more prominent, just putting up a "Smile You're on camera" sign might be enough of a deterrent.

Leave a set of windchimes out and the chairs in the usual spots. Or tack a note on the table or vehicle..."Hi Carl, I'm walking the dog, back in 5 minutes." So not only are they now having to keep an eye out for you returning with a dog, but also Carl.

For someone who never had any trouble, you are taking an awful lot of precautions, which I assume you believe that you need to take.

let BinDer do their own thing :) :) it is cool we all do what we want when we want....hence that good nomadic freedom without judgement we hope we all get out there on the road.

The only things ever stolen from us during our "Nomadventures" were 2 older bicycles (really nothing special) that were also coated with a heavy fresh layer of Burning Man playa dust... they were locked, but not chained to the coach... still baffles us why these 2 dirty old bikes were attractive to the thieves... and mind you this didn't happen boondocking - we were in an actual RV park in Reno. The only sane explanation I have is that someone maybe wanted to "punish" or "annoy" some Burners... ;)

Latest posts