· How to shower at the gym.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEAUX- PRIUS Cowboy

Geauxfrugal
Reaction score
·        How to shower at the gym.
Get in the gym take a shower right? You could do it that way but you might want to consider things that you might need to consider. Prevent theft my goal is to get a shower not become a victim . First don’t go in the gym with high end luggage look like a victim you will become a victim. Don’t wear gold don’t flash cash  in fact pay for your things with a card if you can. You want to go in and out there looking like I shop at walmart. Go in a gym feels like it is not the place to be then follow that gut instinct get out of there come back in a couple hours or go to another gym if one is near.  If you are leaving the gym to go sleep pay attention to people looking at you or paying too much attention. Try and look around your car after you leave the gym pay attention to people sitting in their car ask the staff to watch you get to your car if you want. Pay attention to people potentially following you. I am a large man and I will do this never can be too safe I probably will never see these people ever again in my life so what if they call me a wus I will be square now but I will be around later.

First thing I will do is check showers they are clean and open I will get a locker that is where I need it. I will get rid of most my clothes dirty clothes go in the locker my pockets go in a bag in the back pack. I then go to my shower in underwear. I put my suction cup to the wall hang my bag from it and I get my shower gear out and ready to go. You have a dry bag and wet bag wet bag should be something like a gallon zip loc bag you want to dry it out or change bags every so often also want to clean your bottles time to time too. Some go as far as a shower lanyard they will have multiple bottles they can either hang off a shower head or just wear in the shower.

You want 3 KEY bags with you beside your clothes back pack etc. A zip lock bag for your  clean underwear. You want a trash bag I use a trash liner to put my carry in gear computer etc yes I will shower with that stuff I drop my computer it is in a quality padded bag it should survive so should my other things they can survive a impact I rather not get them wet with shower yucky on them . Best place for your valuables is right there with you. I carry a bag to put dirty clothes in usually a Walmart bag  if I carry them out the gym. Helps to have more than one these walmart bags are known to fail you. Not going to lie and say I have washed my clothes in there by hand. One day I will but so far I have not tried it still is a theory that it can be done I doubt they would say anything if you did.  

Protect yourself from slipping falling and getting fungus. You want to NEVER touch your bottom to the benches there nor your feet to the floor. Just not wise to do this you can get disease that way. Have one piece molded shower shoes you are in luck they are about the cheapest shoes you can get they are easy to take off and work great to walk in and out the gym. Usually $6 at Walmart.

I carry a big orange suction cup they sell them at HARBOR FREIGHT  ~$7 they are as wide as my hand. You can use them in the PLNT gym I tested them they stick to the wall it has very large tile so it will stick. I want my stuff inside the shower with me I will store in a locker but it will be stuff they can’t make any money off.  Might want to tie off your bag to the shower head if you have computer that mught break if the suction cup fails if you hang your bag under the shower head it will get wet this is just to stop any water from getting it that might fly around in a shower you don’t want to put it under running water and test your luck.

Cameras are tiny today people can have them in their tie ,glasses, hair, jewelry , watch,  things is you go in the shower area you might want to cover up so you don’t end up plastered all over the web. So wear your underwear into the shower. Ye s it is illegal to video people in the shower area but prisons are full of people that do things illegal.

Plan ahead you want to carry enough soap, shampoo, hair goo aka gel.  I use ALOE hand soap for shampoo and soap have done this for years I get it from Sams club and it is affordable last me about 3 years.  IF I carry a bar of soap in; good ;but I tend to forget my soap in the shower and if you don’t have a backup it is going to be rough so have 2 soaps. Rather than carry one large bottle I would want 2 small ones this way you forget one you are going to recover next shower. You want to have 3 smaller bottles total of a product this way you can grab the full one

I don’t carry a large towel what I do is I have 12x12 towel made of terry cloth the kind used for kitchen work. I cut a hole just large enough to let the head band or sweat band go through then I run the head band in the other  loop of the head band making one part. This way I can use the elastic to control one side the towel  that we think we need a large towel for. This allows me to use this towel for both bathing and drying off. Just got to wring It out really good a couple times tod dry off. Cuts down on a lot of laundry too makes my walk in and out bag a lot smaller.

I do everything in the shower shave, even put on deodorant in there if it is hot in there I will get dry get out of there dressed and put deodorant on in the car just don’t forget.  I carry a small mirror too I have shaved using feel too you just put on shaving cream or soap and you shave rinse find any stubble come back and get it.  The part that bugs me the most if I miss it is around my mouth so I will check very well to insure I got it done right. If the place is busy I will shave at the mirror but I have not found that gym yet?

CityWoman said:
What the heck kind of gyms are you using????

Same as everybody else sure I am using a bit more precautions than you but my first public gym experience was in LA? Forgive me if I take security a tad bit more than you. Nothing like a couple years living in South Central LA to teach you how to get down. No really we hear a back fire and we all get down way down to the ground. I would go past at least 2 drive by shootings a month. Then some of them could have been movie sets IDK I did not stop and take a poll each time? IF you think that is just LA remember people don't just stay in their towns. Ever hear of Grand Theft Auto?

Ken in Anaheim said:
Thanks for those links they might be handy for others. 

I use to shower out the passenger door of my truck when I was a trucker probably before Hobo Ahlee was born. I got to a truck stop or was out of route and needed a shower I got one in my swimming trunks. I just had one of them blue containers under the bunk. The space under your bed above the engine is ALWAYS over 100 degrees it is hot if you run. I had 2 tops to the jug one that I used to transit the other had a hose attached I got that hose off a discarded hose reel the same one people have in their yard to roll up the hose. Well It took a little teflon tape but it worked. I use the valve that came with the blue jug on the end of the hose reel hose. I just used gravity to stop the flow of water and lowered the head below the water level to get it to flow a little bailing wire made me a good hook I could hang above the water level grab that hose lower it and quickly get water flowing. I needed only to position the bottle a certain way to insure I never ran out. Took just 2 gallons of water to get a shower. So I had extra water to save lives should I need it.

I originally got that water to save lives see you get caught on the road it can get pretty dangerous there have been times where truckers got stuck in places due to fire or some sort of road shut down . So if you are wise you will carry water that people can drink I would drive flat bed you get pretty dirty and at first go to the water to wash my hands realized how warm the water was and I said all I need is a hose and swim trunks. You can change clothes in the truck you got plenty room in there to do that. 

If you are a trucker and don't smoke carry cigarettes never know when you will be in one them traffic jams like that you can trade them smokes for something else. I carried plenty food too never know when you might need it. The day you leave without it is that trip you will need it never fails.

No matter where I am showering/washing, I have a 2.5 litre bucket with me. It's homemade from a tall copy toner bottle I picked up and with a string handle. I wash a set of underwear every time I shower and that is one use for my little bucket. String handle hooks over the door lock for an extra place to keep things off the floor. Lots of other uses but wanted to share as a positive addition to value of the original post.

GEAUX- PRIUS Cowboy said:
Same as everybody else sure I am using a bit more precautions than you but my first public gym experience was in LA? Forgive me if I take security a tad bit more than you. Nothing like a couple years living in South Central LA to teach you how to get down. No really we hear a back fire and we all get down way down to the ground. I would go past at least 2 drive by shootings a month. Then some of them could have been movie sets IDK I did not stop and take a poll each time? IF you think that is just LA remember people don't just stay in their towns. Ever hear of Grand Theft Auto?

Not unique to LA...Chicago, Baltimore, DC...