Quartzsite LTVA questions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it is, and after watching too many videos of people dressed in heavy jackets and wrapped in blankets, "rainouts," and dust storms due to the high winds, I've decided to switch course and head to the Philippines and do some island hopping in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops. (Condos and hotel rooms are already reserved and paid for, which means I'M GOING.)

What parts? How long? Total cost of trip?

Just curious... I think it'd be a fine place to winter (in the north at least), but probably a little pricey for people who are living in their rigs.

What parts? How long? Total cost of trip?

Just curious... I think it'd be a fine place to winter (in the north at least), but probably a little pricey for people who are living in their rigs.
Boracay, Siargao, Bohol - to name just a few. I'll be there from Nov. 5, 2024 - March 5, 2025, same time period I would have been in Quartzsite.
I'm showing costs to be about $8,600 all in.
You would be surprised at the number of expats who are happily living abroad on a measly social security check.

You would be surprised at the number of expats who are happily living abroad on a measly social security check.

It can certainly be done! Look forward to your report next year.

You could head to Quartzite and area now though, since the "cold" is pretty much over, or check out fishing in the Sea of Cortez. I know of some people who camp cheaply on the beach in Rocky Point, which has very good access from the US.

It can certainly be done! Look forward to your report next year.

You could head to Quartzite and area now though, since the "cold" is pretty much over, or check out fishing in the Sea of Cortez. I know of some people who camp cheaply on the beach in Rocky Point, which has very good access from the US.
I was never planning to go anywhere until November 2024, as I have other matters to take care of before then.
I'll definitely take up your recommendations, though, as I'd be just as excited fishing for goldfish in a bathtub, as long as they're biting. Lol.

It would be interesting to know more about those State Department ratings. NOT to suggest they're unreliable, just, for example, there's a big difference between tourist areas and back streets, also between seasoned travelers and clueless folks who treat traveling like one giant Disney theme park.

From a different angle, I've been looking at crime maps for the town I'm thinking of moving to (in the States), and thinking "omg those are all red zones" and then I looked up the town I'm currently living in (very peacefully and feeling reasonably secure) and guess what I'm in a red zone already. How to interpret this info and use it wisely = a challenge.

A lot of border areas do have high crime but the criminals also tend to give tourists a pass because people recognize that if the tourists go away the money dries up. A lot comes down to common sense, just like it would in New Orleans or New York or any other attractive but high-crime US destinations.

Not sure where you could find lots of people speaking English in a /non/touristy area. Belize maybe?
Morgana, Good points made. Thanks for the reality check. :)

I'm preparing to spend about 4 months in Quartzsite next fall/winter, so a couple of questions.
I have been watching YT videos about every day and one of the common complaints I'm hearing is about the wind and cold. I am leaving the northeast to go to what I thought would be warmer and sunnier temps (I was originally planning to go to the Philippines). Is the wind and cold in Quartzsite typical that time of year?
Which leads me to my next question.
I have an Aliner Expedition which has all of the amenities, except an indoor shower. There is an outdoor hose and shower head. I planned to erect a shower tent but I understand the rules prohibit the discharge of grey water, which is in contrast to the many shower tents I've observed used and discussed in the YT videos I've watched. Is this one of those rules that is generally not enforced? I'm aware that there are shower facilities in town and I do plan to utilize them, but I had hoped to do so only as a supplement to my own camper shower, and particularly on them COLD days.
As always, any insight is greatly appreciated.
Hi Calico, anything in southwest AZ is going to beat the NE...you already know that. Yes , Quartzsite is popular and so is Yuma area. A little known spot in southern AZ where I spend the winter has wonderful weather and amenities nearby...grocery, library, etc. And it is free. Happy to consider sharing this if you send me a private message :)

Umm, the Philippines. Although there are many dialects spoken throughout the country, English is considered the 2nd language and taught in the schools. Quite frankly, it's the main reason I decided to go there; the beauty of their islands being second.
And...there are no worries about shower tents or gray water.

I am not usually worried about much but... according to the US State dept. (see below) Are they wrong?
Yes and no. There are nomads who rendezvous in Quartzsite in the late fall and all head down to RV parks located on the beach. The Beach RV parks are not fancy and they are not super expensive per month. But they must be having a good time there as it is a regular thing and more than one group goes down to do that. I have not seen reports about them running into any drug cartel danger or being kidnapped or robbed.

It is like travel anywhere, there are good places to go as well as places to avoid. The unkown is scary, when you know where to go that is safe it is not scary.

I was nervous about walking ancross the border into Los Algodones the first time so I went with a friend. Now I am not worried at all about going on my own. The street vendors can be pesky but that is not scary stuff and now it does not really annoy me. I just shake my head no or make a polite no thanks comment and keep on walking to where I want to go.

Last edited: