Is a Pop Up adequate protection from the elements?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am contemplating going out to the Quartzsite area next November - March and staying at one of the LTVA's. I also plan to slip over into Algodones to get some dental work done. Admittedly, I still have some research to do on both of those issues but there seems to be plenty of info online to answer any questions I might have.
One question I do have that I hope folks can help me with is this: I have a 2016 Columbia Northwest Aliner Expedition and it requires the erection of two walls and two roof panels. Because of this, it doesn't allow for a complete seal at the seams. For anyone who is familiar with the set up, will I be able to withstand both cold temperatures (yes, I do have heating capabilities) and dust intrusion, or do you recommend additional steps to be taken to address these weaknesses in the camper's structure?

Any assistance/suggestions will be very much appreciated.

You are not going to be able to dust proof anything. Not even the big RVs are dust proof. You need ve tilation and dust comes in through screens. I am at Quartzsite this season and the dust has been moderate. Last year was exceptionally windy. March does come in like a lion most years as when the temperature rises so do the dust devils and the afternoon heat can bring on winds. December and January are not too bad for mother natures’s dust. But man made dust from vehicles such as the off road ones can be an issue.

Nomadic life will never be perfection except for brief periods of time. Storms happen as does heat and cold weather. In the summer it is heat and also smoke from Forest fires plus severe thunderstorms. Of course for people with allergies it is always a lot rougher than for other folks.

Thank you both for your responses.
I am not concerned about the weather, in general. I once camped with this same camper through a tropical storm in 60mph winds and was perfectly fine. But, because the panels don't seal I was just curious if there was something more I could/should do to keep the cold and dust at bay.
Again, thanks.

Like Maki said… most rv’s are not dust or draft proof 100%. I lived in our old hunting shack 15 yrs. I used to joke that when the wind blew I had to hold my hat on inside the cabin. There are plenty of ALiners out there. Probably the best pop up ever made. I’d not worry about it myself, but the best thing in my opinion would be to monitor where cold drafts might enter as this too is where the dust would possibly be problematic. Seeing this you could possibly make a good plan of attack to alleviate drafts and dust… I personally camp with a guy in an ALiner… he doesn’t see this as a problem…

There are several way to seal the trailer if staying in one place for an extended period. Slim Potatoehead I believe has some old videos on YouTube showing how.

Life in what is essentially a tent that pops up out of a base is never, ever going to be draft and dust proof. However you could get rolls of thin EVA “craft foam” from places such as Michael’s and make your own custom extra gaskets you glue in place using a high heat temperature rated VOC contact cement. It has to be high temperature rated as the hot sun in summer is not compatible with adhesives that are not high temperature rated. That the of foam sometimes call fun foam or cosplay foam comes in a variety of thickness and colors including black. So it would not look like a DiY make-it-do fix when you are done with the project. EVA Foam is a closed cell foam and it is UV resistant. It is easy to cut with scissors and can take the VOC content of contact adhesives without deteriorating.

You cannot use water based adhesives when both surfaces are waterproof, at least one surface has to be able to absorb water when using water based adhesives or it won’t cure.

The sticky tape backed weather stripping foam sold in hardware stores might work but I have not had much luck with their longevity on moving vehicles if the wind catches them.

If you were around in Quartzsite I could take a look at it and come up with some viable suggestions for the various areas that are drafty. But such answers really are dependent on each individual area of the A-Liner that is not wind or weather proof. There is no one answer that works for each of the drafts.

I thank you all and, particularly, maki2 for such a generous offer. Unfortunately, I won't be in that area until next November. Just doing my planning and prep now so that I don't leave anything to chance and don't find myself delayed due to a lack of preparation.
maki2, the idea of fashioning some gaskets did cross my mind so I certainly appreciate the suggestions regarding the application as I'd have been likely to use Elmer's glue, or something similar. Lol.

I thank you all and, particularly, maki2 for such a generous offer. Unfortunately, I won't be in that area until next November. Just doing my planning and prep now so that I don't leave anything to chance and don't find myself delayed due to a lack of preparation.
maki2, the idea of fashioning some gaskets did cross my mind so I certainly appreciate the suggestions regarding the application as I'd have been likely to use Elmer's glue, or something similar. Lol.
Yep going to have to be a fast grabbing adhesive as it would be difficult to clamp long surfaces requiring long drying time adhesives. There are those tubes of adhesive for repairing loose car door gaskets but for big jobs that stuff is not as user friendly as good old fashioned yellow Weldwood, brush on contact rubber cement.
IMG_1243.jpeg

Interestingly, I actually added it to my Amazon Shopping List last night. Thanks.
Do not buy it from Amazon. Just get it at your local Hardware store, Home Depot or even Walmart. It is a commonly sold product. Amazon can’t send it to one of their lockers or hub counters because of the VOC contents of this product. It also cannot be shipped by regular mail. So just buy it locally.