Introducing PedalFlyer (I hope)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PedalFlyer

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie (obviously) on this Forum, and not exactly sure how the functionality works, but suspect I'll be learning.  I'm in New England at this point in time and preparing to become a full-time truckdweller.  Somewhat by choice and somewhat not....but that is a whole other story I'll spare us all right now.  I've contemplated living on the road for the six to nine months for a long time, but have come to the realization it will likely be where I will live on an ongoing basis.  Its going to be an adventure that much I am counting on. 

The plan was hatched when I was a kid and used to read 4x4 and Off-Road Magazine...and followed the story of Turtle, and later Turtle II.  Earlier this year, I read another story, and found out that couple are still on the road, and living life their way.  Awesome.

For me, the more recent plan was hatched out of a couple of realities.  I'm a jack of many trades, and have interests that most people only toy with.  So now in my 50's and "re-singled" (another post), I am a avid FBC (Full Body Cyclist) I try to ride near daily one or all of my three bike like machines: My Varibike [www.varibike.com], Rowingbike [www.rowingbike.com], or my "vintage" Motobecane.  I'm a certified and degreed fitness trainer, but don't love gyms, the outdoors are my fitness center, and keep my center fit.  Did you know the most effective workouts take place out of doors?  True?  True.  So I combine the fitness and the cycling, as I import the bikes and represent them. 

I'm also a licensed commercial pilot, and fly hot air balloons.  I love to fly in different places and since its safest to fly in the earliest morning, I get to see absolutely amazing sunrises.  I do offer rides, or I should say I hope to find people wanting rides, as its an income stream for me. 

I also enjoy writing.  I hope to write about my experiences, adventures, and so on. 

So I also enjoy visiting sand, ice, and snow sculpting events.  I have a ton of creativity in me, but I can't sculpt anything for the life of me.  And these amazing artists fascinate me, as I can't imagine easily putting in so much work and effort full well knowing it will soon melt, be washed out to sea or otherwise be destroyed.  I used to do custom paint work on cars, and it was hard to let the work leave with the clients that commissioned it for me. 

I love events, and festivals of many types.  I enjoy airshows and balloon festivals in a big way.

So, by now you might think I'm wealthy....I'm anything but.  I'm talented, skilled, kind, caring and a lot of other good things, but for whatever reason, life hasn't been what I wanted or hoped or worked for, and I'm essentially on the street in the not to distant future, and I've been barely avoiding it for a long time.  A big change from owning my own business and living in a huge home in a swanky place.  But, that is life, or at least its my life for the time being.

It looks like I'll be hitting the road with a 06 Dodge Ram 2500 megacab 4x4 gas.  I've got an extra tall cap on it, and I'm contemplating a slide in truck camper unit.  I don't want to start any controversy, but I'm fairly comfortable taking it off road.  Just put oversized tires on it, nothing to crazy, but got it up in the air a bit.  Added a set of headers, and will likely throw some air bags under it as I'm going to plan to tow as well.  I've got a 5 x 8 trailer for the balloon, and a 8 x 16 that I'm trying to sell.  What I'd like to do if I can unload the 8 x 16 is get a lighter 8 x 16 or maybe even larger, and set it up for both the balloon and the bikes. 

These bicycle are longer and taller than typical bikes, and they aren't inexpensive...so I need to be able to carry them safely and preferably out of the elements and harms way.  Any ideas would be welcomed.  

So originally my plan was to create a 6 to 9 month "tour" that would enable me to perhaps facilitate the sale of both the Varibike, Rowingbike and my fitness programs.  I was planning to travel from balloon festival to fitness event, to sand, ice or snow sculpting events, and onto cycling and related events as well.  Along the way I would visit as many rails to trails, greenways, and bike lanes as I could detect and route in. 

Doing these things would (hopefully) enable me to earn income, write and publish along the way, and ultimately end up finding a place I wanted to call home and launch my life there. 

However the best made plans, things have altered my course in the last few months and instead of having the time and luxury to study, plan and arrange for a seasonally preferred March/April departure, I'm faced with a rock and roll date of mid-October late November 2016.  And given all that has been and is, this will not be a 6 to 9 month tour, but rather a new (and hopefully) wonderful way of life.  

Oh, let me add I am also a "building performance" person.  I study buildings and make them more efficient and less costly to operate and hopefully more comfortable to live in.  I love and look at, and when I can, work with alternative building methods and materials.  So I'd be looking to take in as much of that along the way as possible.  Its fascinating how differently homes are constructed in different places in the US.  Its also amazing we continue to build homes out of 2x4 and the like given what we know and that number of better options out there, but for now, my truck seems the best place to call home in the world :)

Your thought, advice and comments are all encouraged.  And I have some questions if you would be willing to offer thoughts: (1) How do you manage registration when you don't have a "home" address that is a street address?  Its required in my current state.  Same thing as it related to taxes and voting?  How do I pay taxes when I lack a street address.  I have maintained a PO Box for years, and it is not acceptable.  How do I maintain my right to vote, without a street address to associate it with? 

More than enough from me for now...thank you for any and all responses. 

PS

What does it mean to disable "smilies" and why would anyone want to disable them? :)

What does it mean, "I want to post a poll?".

I will read up on the how to and how not to, promise. 

Thank you all again.

Welcome PedalFlyer to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. your post should be in the New Comers section. if you want we can move it for you. btw nice intro. highdesertranger

Welcome to the forum!

Wow, just wow about the stuff you love to do.

I wonder if you wouldn't be better off keeping the larger trailer and selling the small one right now. Swap out the large heavier one at your convenience rather than leaving yourself with no place to park the bikes (or the balloon basket).

It sounds like you've got enough on your plate for the next few weeks without trying to figure out how to pack the bikes and the basket.

About that 'registration' and residential address stuff. There's various ways of handling it - most of us just depend on a friend or relative to allow us to use their address as 'home'. Mail can be forwarded by either using a professional mail forwarding company or having the friend/relative drop it in the mail headed to wherever you are or are going to be.

But there's all kinds of reasons to change your state of residency if you want to....to a state that is lower cost in terms of insurance, vehicle tags, income tax, etc. etc.

There's a wealth on discussion on here all about that whole big subject.

Welcome, PedalFlyer! I think this lifestyle is very well suited to what you want to do. Squeezing it all in might be tough.

The New England trek south and west has already begun. I'll be leaving mid October, from central MA.

Welcome check out tear drops and tiny trailers foam build and poor mans fiberglass for light weight trailer ideas and truck camper ideas. I dowelled interior doors into a box, completely enclosed in canvas and glue, and painted with latex to make fairly light but super strong camper so water tight I had to cut vents to close the door quickly!

Welcome pedal flyer

I bike too on a recumbent Catrike that I don't yet know how I will bring with me. But I love my trike. I bike for fitness and because it's good for my head. I am a part timer.

And I agree with Almost there. A trustworthy friend's address for voting and those few pieces of mail that need a street address.

highdesertranger said:
Welcome PedalFlyer to the CRVL forums!  To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.  your post should be in the New Comers section.  if you want we can move it for you.  btw nice intro.  highdesertranger

Thanks for the welcome, and the kind words.  Just curious, like I wrote, new to this sort of forum.  Would you share with me why I might want to move this from the New Comers section?

Again, thanks for the welcome.

Hi Almost There!

Thank you for the enthusiastic welcome!  I do love the things I'm into (well, that makes sense doesn't it?).  I've been flying since I was a teen, just wish I could do more of it.  I've been cycling since I was a kid like most.  I took ten years "off" of cycling sort of speak, and truly it was the worst ten years of my life.  I've been Varibiking for nearly four years now, when we created it, and can't get enough.  If I'm not Varibiking its more than likely because I'm rowcycling, and loving that as well.  

Creating FBC (Full Body Cycling) has been one of the best things I ever did, and I feel the dividends every day that I do it and beyond.  I can't urge folks to get out and get active enough.  Same thing with ballooning, give yourself some adventure, life is to short.  I know I am very lucky to have found two such awesome things to enjoy in my life and share with others.  

But right now, I'm preaching to the choir....you and everyone here has taken a different track in life, pleased to be among you all.

The balloon has lived in the 5x8 trailer since its inception, which is to say for years.  I actually hate to take it from the trailer...its as if they were made for one another.  Oh wait, they were!  :)  But because of that, there is really very little room in that trailer for anything else.  The balloon is compact, but its not light.  With nearly 100 gal (420lbs) of propane onboard (the trailer) and the basket being another 150, and the envelope (165), and another misc 200 lbs of equipment...the less I have to move it, the better.

The bikes, because of their awkward nature nature take up space, but add little weight, are nearly 6, 7 and 8 ft respectively.  I have five working units (demos) most of the time, so its cumbersome. But I've hung them by one wheel or hung them above, or suctioned them to a wall successfully at times. I generally get where I am going and then ride around the area.  The more the bikes are seen, the more people ask, test ride and purchase them.  Plus I would rather ride than walk or drive anyways.  So, moving to the larger trailer is the plan, but I have to get a lighter trailer first.  The current 8 x 16 is just too heavy, as it is a super heavy duty trailer.  Its got a 1.5 inch thick oak floor in it.  That alone makes it a beast to tow.  I don't even want to think about 120 sq ft of 1.5 inch thick oak and what that weighs.  Most trailers for better or worse use 5/8th or thinner plywood sheet. I'm going to guess its about 1/2 to 1/3 the weight.  Once I sell the 8 x 16....then I can move that piece forward.

Tell me about your van?  is there someplace I can see pictures of your home and journey?  At one point I was considering a Sprinter I was going to convert to 4x4, then I heard and now see they have come out with a 4x4 factory version.  But still its nuts the cost of it, and well beyond my means.  So, I love trucks better anyway....but I have owned a couple of vans, including a Dodge Maxivan with its own fireplace, bar.  It was great fun.  

I hope to hear more from you.

towhee said:
Welcome pedal flyer

I bike too on a recumbent Catrike that I don't yet know how I will bring with me. But I love my trike. I bike for fitness and because it's good for my head. I am a part timer.

And I agree with Almost there.  A trustworthy friend's address for voting and those few pieces of mail that need a street address.

Awesome choice of trikes!  What model?  What sort of riding do you enjoy, on-road, off-road, trails, greenways, urban, country?  I'd love to have been able to add a trike to my stable of rides.  People all too often think if someone is on a trike, there is a reason they are not on a two wheeled machine.  Yeah, because trikes are a blast!!!!  I fell in absolute want with the ICES Trikes last year.  It started with the Big Phat and then I fell for the VT as well.  But I'm a fan of Catrike as well, and a few others.  They are awesome machines.

Its a bonus that they are super healthy to ride too!  Its a third bonus that they can be accommodating to those that have special requirements to be able to continue their joy of riding or reintroduce those to the joy of riding who've forgotten how awesome it can be for both head and body.  That mind body connection is so important!

Truly I can see where taking a recumbent trike on the road could be problematic though.  As you have your trike already, this could be a pointless suggestion, but some of the newer trikes fold or even breakdown for easy transport in a trunk or case. 

Another thought is, not sure what your driving, but perhaps it could go on the roof, or verticly on the rear of the vehicle?   Its going to eat up a whole lot of interior space if you try to put it inside of anything.  I did know one person who carried two rather large trikes in a Sprinter, they had them on their side strapped together sort of interwoven.  It seemed to be working for them. 

There are also a couple of companies that make different non-rack solutions. A couple offer trailers that are designed just for trike transport.  But there are a few that offer ramps, that go into a hitch receiver and then lift and hold the trike up, in riding position.  They aren't inexpensive though, but might be a source of ideas.

Since you are a part timer, can I ask where you are based?  Do you have a favorite place to ride locally or out on the road?  Hope you'll write back.

Ride safe.  Ride well.  Ride often.

cyndi said:
Welcome, PedalFlyer! I think this lifestyle is very well suited to what you want to do. Squeezing it all in might be tough.

The New England trek south and west has already begun. I'll be leaving mid October, from central MA.

Hi Cyndi,

Thanks for the welcoming words.  I'm actually rather looking forward to the adventures that will unfold as I finally get truly underway.  Its what I will be dealing with and going through between now and then that has me anxious. 

If I don't squeeze it all in, then it wasn't meant to be I guess, or I am not managing myself, resources and time well....which would be typical but upsetting still.  Still, life will be what it will be won't it? 

But honestly as long as I can fly, ride, exercise, and write, all while producing a savable, supportive income, I'll be happy to truck on down the road, unwrapping the ribbons of roadway to discover the gifts the world has to show me.  Not that I want too much right?  :) Right. 

Can I ask you as well where you are leaving from in MA.  I'm in CT just outside of Springfield, so I was wondering if...  Let me know if you'd have time to catch a cup of on your way out or before hand even.

Safe travels.

From one polymath to another,  Welcome to the CRVL Forum :) 

You couldn't have landed in a better field.  There will be many here with your range of skills to receive you.

I've read through your post and although I'm getting ready to leave the house now so I'll answer later.

Answers to all of your questions exist here.  I know I once asked the same and was led to them.

eDJ

timotea said:
am i on this thing yet. I am not very savie.

I did it. hi everyone. Im a genius. headed for 2nd rtr in Jan. Yippee. Will find gold this time with the ranger and Dewey, Cheatum and Howe!!!1

PedalFlyer,

I am curious about how many nomadic bicyclists there are out there, and where and how much folks ride.

I've thought a lot about my two winters of travel- 4 months each time- and about whether I really would use the trike. Since I prefer to camp well off the pavement, I was often in places where I would be unlikely to ride. The trike is not good on gravel or trails. Of course in those places I walk.

But there were times when I really missed the bike.

For example, Last year I wanted to ride into town when I was camped 8 miles from borrego springs. It hurt to be running the van into town and back almost every day when there was a beautiful almost flat road with wide shoulders taking me straight to town.

Also, I wanted to ride in Death Valley. I've read a couple of trip journals that inspired me. Like this one. https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=tS&doc_id=1411&v=2H

I would have biked around Beatty Nevada, and Rodeo, New Mexico too. Empty roads with good scenery appeal for biking. Dragoon, Arizona. Kelso, California.

I am not sure about the trip into town from the Rtr (rubber tramp rendevous) site. Maybe. Half the trip is on gravel and half is on road.

I generally avoid cities although some have great paved trail systems. And biking in a city is a great way to know the city.

So, I think I will bring it (the trike). Although I am considering an upright folding bike. Bike Friday ( a company that makes folding bikes) is based in Eugene not far from where I live, so it won be hard to get one.

If I bring the trike, I think I will probably get a hitch rider rack. Like this. http://hitchrider.com/trikes.htm

I am in a small van right now but looking for something bigger.

So many if's.

Here in town in western Oregon, I ride just about every day, but I don't often do big mileage. It's often just errands. I might put 15 miles on if I had several places to go. I sometimes ride out to a park, climb the hill to watch the sunset, and bike back home. That's pretty good exercise.

I dream of hanging up the car keys when in town and going car free for the non nomadic part of my life. I haven't gotten there because Its hard to resist the siren call of driving which takes me to more distant places more conveniently than the bike. Someday.

Hey Pedalflyer!

Nice to see you here. I'm new myself. For a while I was flying the "powered parachutes " or "PPG's" as they are sometimes called. Two months ago I just finished a coast to coast trip on my "Surely Long Hauler". I bet you know of Surely bikes. Went from Coos Bay, Or to Ocean City, Md. Naturally it was awesome. So, it sounds like your up in the north east. I will suggest something although I really don't know your plans. If your able to get yourself down to the southwest. ..Arizona area, you could pick up a cheap slide in camper to replace the shell you have. Hope your able to make it to the rtr in January. I also find alternative building methods interesting. Currently I'm living in my van while finishing school in Utah.

towhee said:
PedalFlyer,

I am curious about how many nomadic bicyclists there are out there, and where and how much folks ride.

I've thought a lot about my two winters of travel- 4 months each time- and about whether I really would use the trike. Since I prefer to camp well off the pavement, I was often in places where I would be unlikely to ride. The trike is not good on gravel or trails. Of course in those places I walk.

But there were times when I really missed the bike.

For example, Last year I wanted to ride into town when I was camped 8 miles from borrego springs. It hurt to be running the van into town and back almost every day when there was a beautiful almost flat road with wide shoulders taking me straight to town.

Also, I wanted to ride in Death Valley. I've read a couple of trip journals that inspired me. Like this one. https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=tS&doc_id=1411&v=2H

I would have biked around Beatty Nevada, and Rodeo, New Mexico too. Empty roads with good scenery appeal for biking. Dragoon, Arizona.  Kelso, California.

I am not sure about the trip into town from the Rtr (rubber tramp rendevous) site. Maybe. Half the trip is on gravel and half is on road.

I generally avoid cities although some have great paved trail systems. And biking in a city is a great way to know the city.

So, I think I will bring it (the trike). Although I am considering an upright folding bike. Bike Friday ( a company that makes folding bikes) is based in Eugene not far from where I live, so it won be hard to get one.

If I bring the trike, I think I will probably get a hitch rider rack. Like this. http://hitchrider.com/trikes.htm  

I am in a small van right now but looking for something bigger.

So many if's.

Here in town in western Oregon, I ride just about every day, but I don't often do big mileage. It's often just errands. I might put 15 miles on if I had several places to go. I sometimes ride out to a park, climb the hill to watch the sunset, and bike back home. That's pretty good exercise.

I dream of hanging up the car keys when in town and going car free for the non nomadic part of my life. I haven't gotten there because Its hard to resist the siren call of driving which takes me to more distant places more conveniently than the bike. Someday.

Towhee, Truly thanks for writing and sharing. 

As you know I'm new here, so I'm not real good with the functionality of the forum, but I'm trying to learn....so bear with me. 

I'm not sure how one defines "nomadic cyclist" but I can tell you the number of us is growing very fast if you are referring to those of us that wander by bike, and many who by choice live a bicycle centric life.  Of course there are other definitions, which is why I asked. 

Here is an article you might find interesting, and is brand new:  http://www.outsideonline.com/211295...1&spJobID=884462662&spReportId=ODg0NDYyNjYyS0

You don't want to get me started on my involvement in cycling.  I'll put you to sleep, suffice to say its extensive. 

You may have read in my introduction, I represent and distribute some very unique bikes from overseas.  You might want to check them out:  Varibike [www.varibike.com], and Rowingbike [www.rowingbike.com]. 

Going back a few years ago, (maybe 4 years) I averaged about 4 to 500 miles a week.  I developed some sort of injury they still don't know exactly, and it laid me up for about four or so months.  They told me I'd never ride again, and would be lucky to walk with assistance.  That just wasn't going to work for me.  But its been a complicated and slow road back....and I now average about 1/2 that at 200 to 250 miles a week, more due to lack of time than lack of ability. 

However, riding the Varibike or the Rowingbike is substantially more physical fitness than riding a traditional upright or bent bike.  I love it.  I'm  way stronger, far better aligned, and happier than ever.  If and when I hop on my traditional bikes, I just fly now like crazy if I want. 

It sounds like you use your bike interchangeably with the Trike.  I get that completely.  Trikes are a pain to transport for sure, but very different ride from a more traditional bike.  I don't have my own trike at this point, in part because the transport reason, and lack of time.   I don't imagine I'll be buying one anytime soon though I would really like to.  Since I'm going to be roaming around with multiple bikes as it is, I won't be adding any additional soon. :-(  If I did, I'd be looking more in the direction of a ICE Trike Big Phat, just for the off-road/on-road experiences you refer to.  For now, like I said, that ain't going to happen. 

First I have to sell a few machines that are already in inventory.  Varibiking is a whole different concept that I think will catch on.  Its so healthy, and when you are out on the road for a distance or touring, it gives you the added ability to use your arms, so you can back off and let the legs rest a bit, but keep moving. It also makes riding hills or riding in general easier when under a load....again, because you have more of your body working than you do with a traditional bike.  

On a road in and out of town like you describe, 8 miles of flats, you can really move along on a Varibike or a Rowingbike and create a nice fitness routine for yourself, or just cruise and go back and fourth between arms and legs, and give your body some niceness after being in the Van days on end. 

I like Bike Friday!  They just introduced a bike they call the PakIt.  Thing looks interesting, but a bit light weight for me.  I see more and more folding bikes out on the road.  Now there are full sized folding bikes around too.  And I agree,  hitch rack is the only way to go given you are in a Van...otherwise sooner or later if you put it on the roof, it gets picked off.  

I love riding anywhere!  I've marshaled the 5 BORO bike "race" in NYC three times, and ridden it many more.  I've ridden downtown Philly at all hours.  I've done the "strip" in Vegas so many times I lost count.  Marin and San Francisco are tricky, but beautiful to ride.  I even rode Lombard St!!!  Sometimes I'll just ride the bike into the city to enjoy its sights.  The city does sleep despite common lore.  Its rather beautiful in its moonshine at night or early am.  But again, as I revealed in my intro, I love riding Rails to Trails and sight see.  I suspect I'll be doing a whole lot of it. 

Years ago, many years ago, I and two friends started off cross country, along the way we met others and at one point we were about 18 riders strong.  Others would join us, as others split off to follow their journey.  It was a twice in a life time adventure (so far) that I had no way of knowing was going to be that when we began.  

I get a bit unhappy when I don't get to ride for more than a day or three.  It really is my secret to health and happiness.  I have no doubt I would not be walking if it weren't for my bikes, literally getting me off the bed, and moving again. 

Plus, between my balloon and bikes, there is no place I can't get to see.  The beauty they've each shown me is in and of itself enough reason to go through whatever it takes to make sure they can travel with me, as I do them. 

If I make it to RTR, which I'm starting to wonder about, and think about...you can be sure I'll be riding daily or at least near daily.  Its one of the first things I do where ever I go, where ever I am. 

I've ridden and flown in a number of the places you mention.  And I've never heard of others you mention LOL.  My plan, by no means etched in granite is/was to stay on the east coast at least the first few months of the new year 2017....but if there is a reason for change, I'll change.  RTR is sounding interesting.  

Would love to hear your thoughts on the Varibike!

Towhee, Truly thanks for writing and sharing. 

As you know I'm new here, so I'm not real good with the functionality of the forum, but I'm trying to learn....so bear with me. 

I'm not sure how one defines "nomadic cyclist" but I can tell you the number of us is growing very fast if you are referring to those of us that wander by bike, and many who by choice live a bicycle centric life.  Of course there are other definitions, which is why I asked. 

Here is an article you might find interesting, and is brand new:  http://www.outsideonline.com/211295...1&spJobID=884462662&spReportId=ODg0NDYyNjYyS0

You don't want to get me started on my involvement in cycling.  I'll put you to sleep, suffice to say its extensive. 

You may have read in my introduction, I represent and distribute some very unique bikes from overseas.  You might want to check them out:  Varibike [www.varibike.com], and Rowingbike [www.rowingbike.com]. 

Going back a few years ago, (maybe 4 years) I averaged about 4 to 500 miles a week.  I developed some sort of injury they still don't know exactly, and it laid me up for about four or so months.  They told me I'd never ride again, and would be lucky to walk with assistance.  That just wasn't going to work for me.  But its been a complicated and slow road back....and I now average about 1/2 that at 200 to 250 miles a week, more due to lack of time than lack of ability. 

However, riding the Varibike or the Rowingbike is substantially more physical fitness than riding a traditional upright or bent bike.  I love it.  I'm  way stronger, far better aligned, and happier than ever.  If and when I hop on my traditional bikes, I just fly now like crazy if I want. 

It sounds like you use your bike interchangeably with the Trike.  I get that completely.  Trikes are a pain to transport for sure, but very different ride from a more traditional bike.  I don't have my own trike at this point, in part because the transport reason, and lack of time.   I don't imagine I'll be buying one anytime soon though I would really like to.  Since I'm going to be roaming around with multiple bikes as it is, I won't be adding any additional soon. :-(  If I did, I'd be looking more in the direction of a ICE Trike Big Phat, just for the off-road/on-road experiences you refer to.  For now, like I said, that ain't going to happen. 

First I have to sell a few machines that are already in inventory.  Varibiking is a whole different concept that I think will catch on.  Its so healthy, and when you are out on the road for a distance or touring, it gives you the added ability to use your arms, so you can back off and let the legs rest a bit, but keep moving. It also makes riding hills or riding in general easier when under a load....again, because you have more of your body working than you do with a traditional bike.  

On a road in and out of town like you describe, 8 miles of flats, you can really move along on a Varibike or a Rowingbike and create a nice fitness routine for yourself, or just cruise and go back and fourth between arms and legs, and give your body some niceness after being in the Van days on end. 

I like Bike Friday!  They just introduced a bike they call the PakIt.  Thing looks interesting, but a bit light weight for me.  I see more and more folding bikes out on the road.  Now there are full sized folding bikes around too.  And I agree,  hitch rack is the only way to go given you are in a Van...otherwise sooner or later if you put it on the roof, it gets picked off.  

I love riding anywhere!  I've marshaled the 5 BORO bike "race" in NYC three times, and ridden it many more.  I've ridden downtown Philly at all hours.  I've done the "strip" in Vegas so many times I lost count.  Marin and San Francisco are tricky, but beautiful to ride.  I even rode Lombard St!!!  Sometimes I'll just ride the bike into the city to enjoy its sights.  The city does sleep despite common lore.  Its rather beautiful in its moonshine at night or early am.  But again, as I revealed in my intro, I love riding Rails to Trails and sight see.  I suspect I'll be doing a whole lot of it. 

Years ago, many years ago, I and two friends started off cross country, along the way we met others and at one point we were about 18 riders strong.  Others would join us, as others split off to follow their journey.  It was a twice in a life time adventure (so far) that I had no way of knowing was going to be that when we began.  

I get a bit unhappy when I don't get to ride for more than a day or three.  It really is my secret to health and happiness.  I have no doubt I would not be walking if it weren't for my bikes, literally getting me off the bed, and moving again. 

Plus, between my balloon and bikes, there is no place I can't get to see.  The beauty they've each shown me is in and of itself enough reason to go through whatever it takes to make sure they can travel with me, as I do them. 

If I make it to RTR, which I'm starting to wonder about, and think about...you can be sure I'll be riding daily or at least near daily.  Its one of the first things I do where ever I go, where ever I am. 

As I have told clients for year now, when it comes to how much riding or exercise one does, here is the only rule for me:  Anything you do is better than anything you don't do....so get to doing.".  

I've ridden and flown in a number of the places you mention.  And I've never heard of others you mention LOL.  My plan, by no means etched in granite is/was to stay on the east coast at least the first few months of the new year 2017....but if there is a reason for change, I'll change.  RTR is sounding interesting. 

I have  a friend who lives in Bend Or. who has invited me out, told him it would be spring until he would see me. But he sure loves the location. 

I hear you loud and clear when you offer up, "so many if's".  I feel as all there are is "if's" right now...but this too shall pass I imagine. 

So when you say small van, looking for something larger, what do you have in mind?

Would love to hear your thoughts on the Varibike!

I would love to try a varibike!!!

I look forward to meeting you. If you stay active on the forum I'll look for your posts and perhaps someday we will be in the same place and can trade bike/trikes/varibikes.

We will keep in touch.

Auto360 said:
Hey Pedalflyer!

Nice to see you here. I'm new myself. For a while I was flying the "powered parachutes " or "PPG's" as they are sometimes called. Two months ago I just finished a coast to coast trip on my "Surely Long Hauler". I bet you know of Surely bikes. Went from Coos Bay, Or to Ocean City, Md. Naturally it was awesome. So, it sounds like your up in the north east. I will suggest something although I really don't know your plans. If your able to get yourself down to the southwest. ..Arizona area, you could pick up a cheap slide in camper to replace the shell you have. Hope your able to make it to the rtr in January. I also find alternative building methods interesting. Currently I'm living in my van while finishing school in Utah.

Howdy Auto360.  Yup, know Surely well!  From the Salsa to the Long Haul Trucker...awesome bikes!  I know PPG's as well.  I myself never owned one, but several friends did.  I was into building them for a short time with a company called SUMA Aircraft.  We worked closely with a better known company Pioneer Parachutes in the earliest days of PPG's. 

So here was one of my earlier crazy thoughts,  I wanted to make a super light weight hot air balloon that I could pull behind my bicycle...guess what bike?  A Long Haul Trucker.  Never got around to it though. 

Nice rides you got going on there, four months each trip I take it? 

Check out my bikes at www.varibike.come and www.rowingbike.com.  The Varibike is of course shorter wheelbase than the LHT, but because of the cranks it makes moving the cargo a bit easier.  And though it doen't look it, the rowingbike can carry a monster amount of weight in trunk like panniers that go from headset to rear of bike.  That is a lot of space.  

I am in the Northeast right now.  This has been my base for a very long time.  I'll be happy when the possibility of snow, sleet and wind are mere memories in the rear view mirror....but I'm sure I'll be back again for a visit or three. 

I've been checking prices on slide in's truck campers on C/L all over.  I might do what you suggest.  Like you, I'm not sure of my plans right now :).  But that will be quickly changing.  I've found some decent deals on used campers locally.  Up this way, people are  packing it in for the winter now and they want to sell them before so they don't have to deal with caring for them through the winter.  Thanks for the heads up. 

Are you studying building performance in school, or just interested in it? 

Hope to hear more about your riding adventures.