Introducing myself: Hello from Washington!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CascadeCharc

Reaction score
Howdy Yall-

I've visited this forum here and there in the past, and finally decided to join up so I could ask questions, tap into some community with like minded people, and maybe share a little knowledge and inspiration myself. I have been living in my van intermittently for about 7 yrs now, mostly 2-3 seasons per year, moving indoors during the winter months. prior to that though I was well versed with the most basic essentials of car camping, or as my dad used to say, "Truck Packing". so really, you could say my origins as a vandweller go way back to being a kid. My dad would take me all over west Virgina kayaking rivers and paddling whitewater.

I had a 1984 ford econoline panel van for awhile. I got it when the economy tanked and I knew I was returning to a lifestyle I thought I'd left behind. Anyway, it was a crude version of van living and that van was inadequate for a lot of reasons. I wasn't ever entirely satisfied with living out of it. Last spring I got a minivan that is in wayy better shape, looks nicer, and well, I just like it much better.

So this will be my first complete winter living in a van. When i got it I immediately set out to build out the interior. I only have phase one complete: A nice bed and fairly organized/maximized use/balance of functionality and storage, while being a pleasant place to sleep or hang out. I moved out of my last rental last June, and its been fine ever since. I got my 7 gallon water jug on a sliding shelf that slides out the starboard side sliding door. That's the element I am proud of in its design, construction and functionality. My drawings and plans are complete to begin phase two, which is the addition of a cabinet and a table that both draw more inspiration from sailboat cabins than rvs (I know its kind of a subtle distinction).

Anyway, this lifestyle is not new for me. What's new is my commitment level to improve upon and refine stuff. So for me a lot of it is sifting through info I already know in order to zero in on the kernels I need to expand my game. And, lately its been ficking cold! here in Wa, so I am getting cabin fever and maybe also desiring the company of like-minded folks. Nothing like Vandwelling in the winter to get one thinking about home improvement!

The last thing I'll say about my set up and concept:
Although economics largely steered me toward the minivan as a van of choice, I am very pleased with that choice. My outlook on vandwelling has rekindled. My concept around the minivan, is that I like to think of it as a metal tent with wheels, an engine, and tinted windows. Minivans are the Ultra Light of rv living (although there is always someone out there willing to push the ultralight envelope further- I observed a lady living out of here volvo recently. I at least need a "room" inside where I can lay down, do yoga, or sit up straight. Yup. I can do some limited yoga in my minivan. So I am not sure how much I want to tack on in terms of ammentities. I have an organized way to dispense water, organized storage, and free space to opperate. Other than that, pretty low tech. Still...

The wheels are definitely turning in here and I am researching a 100 W Solar/House Battery/ARB Fridge thing. Weight will become an issue soon though if I keep building/adding stuff! Anyway, I was glad to see some active posts. Look forward to meeting you all 'round here!

CascadeCharc
Charc works for short, for now.

Welcome! so you prefer a minivan to a full size? that seems unusual but certainly not unique, there are others here who prefer the same, and I've debated the idea some myself

Welcome Charc to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Welcome Charc to the CRVL forums!  To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.  highdesertranger

Thanks, Highdesertranger-

AlW-

I like the minivan over the full sized van for these main reasons:

-Way stealthy in urban boondack mode, when stealthyness counts.
-I like the tinted windows. I can cover them at night or whenever for privacy, but I like letting the sun and views in.
-Easier to load my kayak on top (I used to slide it in the E150 under my bed because it was a pain in the ass to load on the roof. Oh, I usually don't Stealth park w/ the kayak on. I unload it when i go into the city for a few days of work , then go pick it up on my way back out into the woods/mountains/ rivers
-I like the way it handles and drives. A little better gas mileage (its somewhat negated by being loaded down with my home). Better visibility when driving and much easier to park/drive in the city (Seattle or Portland). I like the plastic cladding of the interior, and the stock features such as the cup holders and little cubbys over the rear wheel wells, etc. Yeah it cuts down on storage but I haven't found it limiting.
-I like having two sliding doors, though the driver's side one doean't get used as often.
-I like the hatch as a quick rain cover.

My favorite aspect? I kayak on the rivers year round here. I run waterfalls, duck under logs in the middle of raging rapids, and drop into dark and foreboding canyons with my buddies. It's typically in the 40's and raining in Wa all winter, so DRYING MY GEAR OUT is key. Believe it or not the minivan, with its extensive dispersed vents and blowers, has heat coursing through the whole thing. I know you're going to wonder about moisture, but to my surprise it isn't much of a problem. I'll elaborate on how successful this is working out if someone asks and is curious. My rubber boots (essential footwear for any washingtonian who lives or works outdoors), however, don't dry out well. I have a simple solution I will build soon: a boot dryer that attaches to one of the van's heaters next to the starboard sliding door.

anyway, I'm sure I will outgrow the minivan, but here's ONE MORE THING I like about it:
Ok, if this thing craps out I am screwed. Fortunately it runs pretty well and I hope to keep it that way. But my ideas is to simply pack away a $1400 emergency fund (I'm pretty low income. I got a job but it doesn't pay.). If any kind of repair is required that is more than that, I"ll just get on CL and buy another ubiquitous, cheap minivan. My interior is mostly designed such that it can be pulled right out and installed in another mini inside an hour if need be. So, I like that it isn't some big complicated build. Its just furniture that can slide right into another micro appartment on wheeels.

ah typos gotta love em

Thanks Charc, I've had a lot of the same thoughts re mini vs full size van, since seeing the Jucy Rvs, mostly it's the CHEAP part i like lol, but the hatch sort of makes it like a motorized teardrop, at least, if you stuff a galley in the back, no?

Welcome Charc! Great intro...

With regard to vehicle load weight, it is indeed the enemy. Hard on the drive train, reduced maneuverability and of course reduced fuel efficiency...

Good Luck with the Build...

Welcome to the forums. I did a lot of car camping in a AMC Jeep Eagle, (back then they called them station wagons).
The reason there are so many different types of RV's is different people have different needs and desires. If it works for you, then it doesn't get any better. Youtube is a great source of ideas.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

I grew up in West Virginia and have been around plenty of water.  Presently live on the Ohio Side of the Ohio River.  "And I can see West Virginia from my House"  LOL

My first Van was a Ford Econoline and it wasn't much bigger than a lot of "mini Vans" today.  I knew every nut and bolt in it by name....usually curse word names.....I had to work on it so much to keep it running.

Now I have one of the largest extended high roof models that was made.  And I'm quite happy with it.

But it sounds like you have gone down about the same path I've traveled over the years.   It's what has led me to create the two websites below,  and I'd welcome you to give them a look.  The bottom site will be helpful
when you take your Van on the road.  Loads of helpful stuff to make life more comfortable and convenient.

All the best !