Hello

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otmar

Reaction score
Hello adventurers,
I’m new here, but not new to full timing.Though I now have a home base in Oregon, I lived full time in VW busses for about 6 years several decades ago.
Over the years I’ve owned more vans than I can count, and modified a few sedans for camping as well.
These days I have free time again, a VW Vanagon Westfalia that I think uses too much gas, and an Electric hatchback that’s getting my car camping treatment. I figure I’m not the only one here that enjoys figuring out compact and efficient ways to create comfort. I do enjoy my technology, to a limited amount.
I’ve been missing the extended desert explorations of my youth and hope to get back out there this fall and winter. I’m looking forward to exploring the forums and picking up on the wisdom you all share.
See you down the road!
-Otmar

Welcome. Sounds like fun! Enjoy the journey.

BTW, my parents brought me home from the hospital in a VW bus. Good times. :)

If the van is still in your possession you should look into increasing it’s insurance amount up to around $100,000 I imagine as last time I checked a few years ago that was the going rate for a full restoration at Kustom Coach Works in Grand Junction Colorado if they could find a good candidate to start with!

If the van is still in your possession you should look into increasing it’s insurance amount up to around $100,000 I imagine as last time I checked a few years ago that was the going rate for a full restoration at Kustom Coach Works in Grand Junction Colorado if they could find a good candidate to start with!
Thanks for your concern.
They have certainly increased in value over time! This one is not in that range as it would still need a full restoration, but still is worth almost ten times it’s original price. It has over 300k miles, and the minor accidents along the way were never repaired.

When my father passed in 2011 I took it out of storage and put it back on the road with a few upgrades like better brakes. I even took it to Burning Man - and cleaned well after. It’s a nice classic and may warrant a restoration someday, but these days I find the Vanagon to be much more comfortable!
2013 photo.

1694800118951.png