Greetings from NoCal

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyHobo

Reaction score
Hello,

I was kindly asked to introduce myself so here I am :)

I'm a longtime peregrine. In '91 I started out in a '74 orange Westfalia. I have not been full time all these years. My trip lengths have varied from weekends to years. These past months I've been taking a break from a 2 yr stretch. Soon I'll be headed out again to the Eureka, Ca. area to do my longest in town stretch I've ever done. I might be there for well over a year.

Humboldt county has been my BOO (base of operations) for over 20 yrs so I'm pretty comfortable there. However, I no longer have any place in town to safely park for the duration. Also I have recently switched to a vehicle which at the moment is gutted. And I really don't like being in town on the streets for more than a few days at a time. So the next year may be a rough one for me :)

So if any folks find themselves passing through feel free to give a holler. I'm sure I'll enjoy the break from living in town.

I started out in a tent but later had several VW buses over the years seldom anything new unless I built it! Lol!!! Welcome!

Eureka is a charming town to visit and live in but definitely but not an easy location for ongoing urban boon docking.

@bullfrog Thank you

@maki2 I feel you're right about Eureka. And it's not a big place. The police get to know your rig pretty quick which could be good and bad. I know there are tons of places to stay outside town. I'm just trying to save on gas. We'll see how it goes. My new vehicle doesn't get the mileage that my old one did. But in a few months I should be in better shape and perhaps be able to get out of town more.

You have to obey the ordinance requiring residents only permits stickers in the close into the central historic business district and also by the high school and waterfront.

There is also an ordinance that your vehicle must be moved every 72 hours. Many cities have that 72 hour ordinance, it is to prevent vehicles that are not in drivable condition being left on the street doing long term occupying of parking spaces in front of homes and businesses.

Good lookin' out.

Np. Downtown has the potential of being too busy at night for me. Unfortunately any other spot I know of I won't spend more than I night at a time there.

Moving everyday is a drag though. Once I'm in town I can reconnect with some old faces and maybe find a spot that way. Otherwise I might just have to go inland and endure the heat. I'll have to forward my mail to Willow Creek where the free camping is a lot closer. That's last resort though. I don't like the heat.

Hi GypsyHobo,

I had a '76 Westfalia. That was a dream machine, I'd still have it except the standard gear shift made it impossible for me to enjoy driving it after I got repeated injuries to my back. So, I took the next best choice when I decided to travel extensively where I can boondock and mouch dock . I got a promaster. I'm building it out a lot like the Westfalia. It is a bit bigger and I'm able to stand in it without having a pop-top. Maybe we will meet up someday. Enjoy life.

Hello,

I was kindly asked to introduce myself so here I am :)

I'm a longtime peregrine. In '91 I started out in a '74 orange Westfalia. I have not been full time all these years. My trip lengths have varied from weekends to years. These past months I've been taking a break from a 2 yr stretch. Soon I'll be headed out again to the Eureka, Ca. area to do my longest in town stretch I've ever done. I might be there for well over a year.

Humboldt county has been my BOO (base of operations) for over 20 yrs so I'm pretty comfortable there. However, I no longer have any place in town to safely park for the duration. Also I have recently switched to a vehicle which at the moment is gutted. And I really don't like being in town on the streets for more than a few days at a time. So the next year may be a rough one for me :)

So if any folks find themselves passing through feel free to give a holler. I'm sure I'll enjoy the break from living in town.
Nice to meet you. Well wishes and safe journey. Nothing else to say but not in a bad way I think my mind needs a break from thinking LOL maybe do a no build until you have the means to do a hard build? I hope I'm making sense