Hello

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockwellTbird

Reaction score
Hi, I am going to be in a situation soon that will require me to live in my cars soon. Currently in the midwest but going back to my homeland of the high desert in oregon. My mother and grandfather owned a forest servics business so growing up i got used to the woods and common sense rules, etc. With that being said i am young and this will be the first time in my life i will be fully on my own. I have a lot to learn. I am wondering what upgrades i should do to the truck (cheap) to make it comfortable and livable. I will most likely be on blm lands. I will have to survive through the winter. Any advice is appreciated.

Hi, I am going to be in a situation soon that will require me to live in my cars soon. Currently in the midwest but going back to my homeland of the high desert in oregon.
Welcome Rockwell. You'll find just about everything you need to know in these forums. The Forum has a useful search feature. If you don't find what you are looking for then just ask. People here love to help.
If you imagine yourself living and traveling in your truck, the specific questions will come to you. Eg. where will I poop when boondocking? lol... things like that. Or, 'what is the warmest sleeping bag'?' Then do a search for sleeping bag.

Living in a truck in winter in the high desert in Oregon is likely to be uncomfortable no matter what improvements you can afford on a very small budget.

It makes more sense for this first winter to drive to Southern Arizona for the winter. You should be able to pick up jobs for income there and be reasonably comfortable living out of your truck without needing a lot of improvements. Then head back to Oregon in the spring.

You could even apply to work for the BLM.

Hi, I am going to be in a situation soon that will require me to live in my cars soon. Currently in the midwest but going back to my homeland of the high desert in oregon. My mother and grandfather owned a forest servics business so growing up i got used to the woods and common sense rules, etc. With that being said i am young and this will be the first time in my life i will be fully on my own. I have a lot to learn. I am wondering what upgrades i should do to the truck (cheap) to make it comfortable and livable. I will most likely be on blm lands. I will have to survive through the winter. Any advice is appreciated.
I'm still in Stix til my eviction hearing but will be homeless again possibly soon with my kids and my best advice is calm heads think clearer with common sense as your best fren. Learn to laff even wen you wanna cry. Hell laff while you cry. I do allZ time. For cold, Layer every inch up with warmth. Your floors. Your walls. The bed. Yourself. if you have your butane oven use it also for heat 5to10 mins per hour tops to me as I'm co2 poison paranoid lol. Windows cracked of coyrse. Hot water bottles are your fren also. Get a heat nozzle thing off Amazon. Hope this helps. More thoughts come I'll come back.

You really do need an income… it’s not “free” living in your vehicle. A lot of us out there are older and live of our retirement and some work camping…
Young folks can “work camp”… but there is a bit of competition for the jobs that really pay. Joining a work camping forum and you’ll quickly see that. So a resume is a good thing to put together. You mention common sense rules in the woods… also known as ethics, laws or whatever you want to call them. Plan ahead on what your going to do with garbage and such.
Improper disposal of garbage kinda messes up the whole deal for everyone. People talk about pooping in buckets and putting it in garbage receptacles. Just remember, the receptacles like at a gas station are meant for customers and not for their household trash… and a human has to empty it especially when it starts smelling like… we’ll you get the picture.
Just saying, one person or like the saying goes… a few can mess it up for many.
Not sure why your in your current situation and it’s none of my business. But just like sticks and bricks, you have a number of responsibilities. You need to provide food, clothes, vehicle, equip said vehicle…
You said cars plural… more then one vehicle? Health care too is a big thing… and it cannot be stressed enough to have an emergency fund… minimum of $3000 and more if you have an older or higher maintenance rig.
If you need an income source, moving on blm land can dwindle opportunities. Unless you have skills or training to work online and have the equipment to do that.
Some have glamorized vehicle living. It really isn’t glamorous at all unless your willing and able to do the hard work of all the necessities of life. There may be other services out there to get housing, and work to provide for yourself. So search the forum and be realistic of what you need to do. It’s late in the year to just jump in and go. Winters can be tough… this one could be very unpredictable… even in the southwest. You’ll find people willing to help. But you have to be able to supply at least most of your needs.
Good luck and welcome… maybe didn’t sound welcoming. But didn’t want you to think it’s as simple as moving in your car or whatever and things will be good…

I will have to survive through the winter.

Consider moving south out of Oregon for the winter in order to have less issues trying to winter over in winter weather. Vehicles have crap for insulation. If I were you I would spend the next 200 hours watching self build videos. When watching Bob's build videos, these folks may not talk about the negative side of their lives, ... perhaps unconsciously.... because they have so much invested..... materially and spiritually.

$500 a month... minimum.. .,and that is living on white rice and oatmeal.

Shitting in a bucket is so far removed from flush and forget.

Get a great tent. Live in it... standing in your chosen abode is nice. Have the car, but live in the tent??

Good luck and welcome

If we could but pour our experience into the heads of the young, but I guess that would end up as brainwashing and grooming to create little duplicates of ourselves, and yeah... no one needs an y of that.. :p

Living in a truck in winter in the high desert in Oregon is likely to be uncomfortable no matter what improvements you can afford on a very small budget.

It makes more sense for this first winter to drive to Southern Arizona for the winter. You should be able to pick up jobs for income there and be reasonably comfortable living out of your truck without needing a lot of improvements. Then head back to Oregon in the spring.

You could even apply to work for the BLM.
Hi m

News to me and learnt something new! Didn't know 1 could work for the blm living in their vehicle.. kydis fir a new piece if information gained

You really do need an income… it’s not “free” living in your vehicle. A lot of us out there are older and live of our retirement and some work camping…
Young folks can “work camp”… but there is a bit of competition for the jobs that really pay. Joining a work camping forum and you’ll quickly see that. So a resume is a good thing to put together. You mention common sense rules in the woods… also known as ethics, laws or whatever you want to call them. Plan ahead on what your going to do with garbage and such.
Improper disposal of garbage kinda messes up the whole deal for everyone. People talk about pooping in buckets and putting it in garbage receptacles. Just remember, the receptacles like at a gas station are meant for customers and not for their household trash… and a human has to empty it especially when it starts smelling like… we’ll you get the picture.
Just saying, one person or like the saying goes… a few can mess it up for many.
Not sure why your in your current situation and it’s none of my business. But just like sticks and bricks, you have a number of responsibilities. You need to provide food, clothes, vehicle, equip said vehicle…
You said cars plural… more then one vehicle? Health care too is a big thing… and it cannot be stressed enough to have an emergency fund… minimum of $3000 and more if you have an older or higher maintenance rig.
If you need an income source, moving on blm land can dwindle opportunities. Unless you have skills or training to work online and have the equipment to do that.
Some have glamorized vehicle living. It really isn’t glamorous at all unless your willing and able to do the hard work of all the necessities of life. There may be other services out there to get housing, and work to provide for yourself. So search the forum and be realistic of what you need to do. It’s late in the year to just jump in and go. Winters can be tough… this one could be very unpredictable… even in the southwest. You’ll find people willing to help. But you have to be able to supply at least most of your needs.
Good luck and welcome… maybe didn’t sound welcoming. But didn’t want you to think it’s as simple as moving in your car or whatever and things will be good…
O so well said

a)
What truck?
Condition of vehicle?
Where inside your vehicle do you sleep and cook?
Insulation?
Heat source?
How much water can you carry?
Security?
Income sources (plural)?
Sanity?
As merely one 'example' of those 'questionable' 'sanity' blessings, here is our introduction with plenty of portraits, plus our reasons for our decisions:
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/expeditionvehicle-build.44908/#post-576110.
b)
* Although we prefer living in a vehicle...
* Although we are semi-nomadic and workkamp...
* Although we established a vast foundation of caravan chums and opportunities for stand-still income...
...we are -- by no means -- encouraging anybody to attempt a winter in anything less than ideal conditions (weather, roads, hygiene, food, showers, wagon-train, etcetera).
Oregon high-desert during a months-long blizzard is a no-joke.
Experience and skills and gadgets or some nincompoop on some forum proclaiming:
* "Look at our 'example', do you just like we do us!"...
...are no match for equipment failure or road closures.

Last edited:
Here is the key part....

"Self-contained units are those with a permanently affixed wastewater holding tank of 10-gallon minimum capacity. Non-self-contained units are allowed only at Mule Mountain, Imperial, and La Posa LTVAs."

^ " Non-self-contained units are allowed only at Mule Mountain, Imperial, and La Posa LTVAs."

EDIT ya beat me to it..............

Sell your present vehicle(s) and get a good used van; the bigger, the better. I lived in a super cab Ford pickup for over four months, and it was all I could stand. If that's not possible, @RvNaut mentioned a good tent, good being the keyword here; great would be better but get the best you can afford. Get a hot tent and a small wood-burning stove. I lived in a nice hot tent with a stove in Wyoming near the Wind River Reservation for a whole winter on a friend's ranch while working in and Around Riverton. The biggest hassle was keeping the stove in firewood. A trick is to buy a couple of 5-gallon buckets of coal to supplement the wood. The coal goes farther and gives off more heat, but you need to reinforce the bottom of most tent stoves on the market, or the coal can burn through some cheaper ones. A welding shop cut me a piece of 1/4 inch steel plate that covered the bottom just in case. Mix the coal with wood, and you get great heat, and a few chunks of coal before bedtime will last the rest of the night.