Bag users - where do you store #2

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinto

Reaction score
For those using one-time bags: obviously you get rid of it as soon as you can but if it has to be held, where do you hold it: At the bottom of the poop bucket? if so, do you have a gamma lid on your main toilet bucket which you have to unscrew each time you go? a seperate bucket or some other receptacle? Does the smell diffuse through the bags after some time?

Before getting a C-head separating toilet we used the expensive camping style double bag with absorbing power which never leaked or smelled but did keep them in a sealed container ( 5 gallon bucket with snap on lid) or a tied up garbage bag which we usually despised of within 24 hours.

.. not bc a bad idea to have an airtight container along. You might also get other smelly garbage.

Last edited:
For those using one-time bags: obviously you get rid of it as soon as you can but if it has to be held, where do you hold it: At the bottom of the poop bucket? if so, do you have a gamma lid on your main toilet bucket which you have to unscrew each time you go? a seperate bucket or some other receptacle? Does the smell diffuse through the bags after some time?
Just as you described.

I have a 7 gallon bucket with a gamma lid for the "toilet". ( For the 7 gallon, be sure to order 13-15 gallon bags that are 23"x31" iirc)

Then I use a 5 gallon bucket for the medium used in the "toilet". Currently pine pellets from Tractor Supply, but they don't do much of anything... they are hard, not absorbent, and have almost no pine scent. The Green Tea Tofu kitty litter worked better, but costs much more. I will try other types.

Then you need one more container for the bags containing poop, because even double bagged the smell escapes the bags. A tall Folgers plastic container would work. (My 7 gallon bucket toilet is always lined with a black garbage bag... just in case of spills. So black garbage bag, then my poop bags. Usually 2-3. One on top of another. ... each with a big scoop of medium... ready to go)

I suppose you could store the bag(s) of poop in the "toilet" but I wouldn't. The last thing you want when doing the bucket method is a spill of any kind. Be very organized and keep supplies handy: toilet paper, paper towels, wet wipes, Lysol type spray disinfectant, and plenty of the correct size bags.

For comfort buy a toilet seat cover like a Luggable Loo

I've only been using this method for a few months. Needs tweaking, but that is what I learned so far. I found a pretty perfect thing to pee in. It is used in nursing homes, I think. They have them on Temu for under $2 ... works better than a she wee. I pour the pee into a tall Folgers container.

Here: https://www.temu.com/unisex-urinal-...amping-outdoor-travel-g-601099514674018.html?

Last edited:
You can buy airtight dog food storage jars if you need something smaller than a 5 gallon bucket. They do have a wide top opening. They are made tough to prevent dogs from destroying them to get to the food. They are also a gamma product but do not look like a 5 gallon bucket. So a bit more discreet as to its purpose if you have visitors show up.

Last edited:
You can buy airtight dog food storage jars if you need something smaller than a 5 gallon bucket. They do have a wide top opening. They are made tough to prevent dogs from destroying them to get to the food. They are also a gamma product but do not look like a 5 gallon bucket. So a bit more discreet as to its purpose if you have visitors show up.
I'll check it out. Thanks. Hate to waste a 5 gallon bucket on medium.

Carla.... did you buy this exact product from Tractor Supply? They start out as a hard pellet, then begin to swell and absorb the moisture and odor. Apparently, they work best in a composting toilet, instead of throwing them in the trash every day.

This video on YT has hundreds of positive comments from people who like and prefer them over anything else.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tractor-supply-pine-pellet-stall-bedding-40-lb

Last edited:
Carla.... did you buy this exact product from Tractor Supply? They start out as a hard pellet, then begin to swell and absorb the moisture and odor. Apparently, they work best in a composting toilet, instead of throwing them in the trash every day.

This video on YT has hundreds of positive comments from people who like and prefer them over anything else.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tractor-supply-pine-pellet-stall-bedding-40-lb
Yes, that is what I bought. But I just realized why they weren't working for me. It's not true what she says in the video that the pellets expand when moisture hits them. However, they use the pellets all weekend... so guessing three days of poop and pee (she pees in it).

I was used to the tofu litter which does absorb liquid instantly and I only use the toilet once then toss the bag... not for 3 days. So probably the pine pellets do absorb after a day or after X amount of hours. Idk.

I knew I was supposed to use the toilet repeatedly before throwing out the poop bag. At some point I switched to the one off method. Maybe the smell was a bit much? lol. Hmm... more tweaking.

If I wait days to dispose of the bag, then I need to go back to sealing it with the gamma lid. That means tucking the bags inside and can't keep the Luggable Loo on the bucket all the time.

Still, no pine smell. This weekend I'll ask the grandkids if they smell pine from the pellets.

Pinto, this is what I do for the storage. I buy rolls of the cheapest 7-gallon bags. I have my DIY 5 gallon bucket loo ready to go at all times with a bag in it. I spread out the bag. I do my thing and then take a tie and tie off the solid "poo" near the bottom, I now cut the excess unsoiled plastic off with a pair of scissors and throw this plastic in the regular garbage. The poo and the moist wipe or wipes (Assurance Premium XL Disposable Washclothes 192 Ct) go into a Detergent Jug, yap a good old large detergent jug works great and has leak free seal and gasket on the lid. Get the ones (not Tide) that have the removeable drip free pour spout. Just pull it out and you now have a large 2 1/2" opening to work with. Note: They don't leak because the top of the jug is smooth and buries into a soft imbedded gasket that is in the lid. Another plus is when you find them in the laundry mat garbage cans, they usually have 3 or 4 or more tablespoons of good smelling detergent in them, don't rinse them out, leave it in there. And there is something magic about the Assurance wipes on how they absorb odor. When it is full, just throw it away and grab another. Some of them are over a gallon. I also use these for my pee jugs, rinse and reuse. Pour a little of the free detergent in the pee jug to keep it smelling good.

I use the Doody Bags. Once that inner bag is sealed, there's no odor that I can detect. I can typically get three uses before I need to dispose of it. I can usually plan things so that I don't need to store the sealed bag for long. But if I need to, I just pop into any plastic bag until I can get to the dumpster.