Ancestry DNA Genetic Test Kit sale $39,reg $99.00, & More + Free Shipping

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^Just curious, why does anyone care if you live in the “melting pot” of the United States of America? Might be useful if looking for genetic disease tendencies maybe?

My son had his done. It showed mainly Scotland, Ireland,& Nordic countries. We have a family graveyard in TN that goes back 6 or 7 generations. They came thru NC so I'd just like to know more about my side of the family as we have 2 names not very common.

I'm curious about my genealogy...............I just may sign up for Ancestry

My Mother died at age 84 before I launched my VanLife.........After her death the "Family" revealed a long held secret that MOM was quietly adopted from Catholic Charities as a toddler......she actually "replaced" a child lost to Mumps.........She never KNEW !............Her siblings "Knew"..........How do you keep such a secret for a lifetime ?

No-More-Secrets......"My Family Tree has a Stump"....................

My Aunt was hoping to advance her social standing by following our family tree only to find out we came here to avoid being hanged as horse thieves in the United Kingdom. Didn’t turn out exactly as she planned! Lol!!!

Just a thought to ponder....... Whenever you give a DNA sample, your DNA is now a public record. All of these companies provide the results of your DNA to the government. They have solved crimes buy accessing this database. If you wish to find your geneology, ask them to not add it to their national database and watch what happens. Before they run the tests, you are asked to consent to "sharing" your information but it does not disclose to whom it is really shared with.:unsure:

I have had dna testing twice, first by Ancestry and then 23andMe.

Pretty fascinating, and my dna is not what I thought it to be.

I have consented to have my dna used for research purposes, because I didn’t see a need not to.

If my dna can help solve a crime, others to find their own family tree, etc., why not?

I did mine with two companies.
Each result was identical to the other:
* I carry higher than usual of Neanderthal DNA -- 13% (thirteen percent).
The standard Neanderthal DNA for Northern European Heritage folk is around 3% (three percent).
I wonder about their other claims anytime anybody says we are 'extinct'.
An aside:
With my heritage, I am comfortable as a seasonalably-mobile hunter-gatherer, I prefer meats and fish.
I loathe salad... unless it is loaded with sardines, anchovies, and *BACON*.
I see at night almost as swell as twilight.
I can be still and silent for hours.
I read thoughts.

I know a fair amount from my mother’s maternal side as there were family reunions and my mother’s female first cousin had genealogy as a hobby.

But my maternal grandfather’s side has not to my knowledge been traced back.

My father is a naturalized citizen who arrived in this country at 3 years old. Whatever stories my father might have heard from his parents he decided not to pass them along.

In Flagstaff the public library has free in library access to some of the Latter Day Saints ancestry files. Plus there is a LDS facility in Flagstaff where non temple members can go to do research. Sooner or later on one of my visits to the area I will look at ancestral records.

Being a female there is not a lot of use for my getting DNA testing for researching direct ancestry. I would need to see if my brothers, their sons or my son have done that. My son does not much care all that much about that stuff.

Last edited:
My sons came back as expected, Scotch, Irish, a little English, Norse who settled the Irish coasts. I know I can account for 8 generations alive & those buried in our TN graveyard & know they came to TN via NC so another generation or so. They fought with the Union in the civil war & even in the revolutionary war as the family arrived during the 1st famine around 1741. My dad's mom was a Bilbrey whose dad had a store & his Dad had a chair factory in NC, my moms dad was a Motley who was a tent preacher/church planter. Mom was born in AL but learned to talk in New Orleans & spoke French before English. My dads side moved to FL in the depression. We'll see how different mine & my sons are. Here's a great read if you're Scotch-Irish. https://www.aletterfromireland.com/ulster-scots-and-the-first-great-migration/ It covers 1640-1740s.

Last edited: