Ideas for Making Money On The Road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
We're getting close now to Christmas tree season.  For many years, I would park overnight at Christmas tree lots and get paid $100/night for security.  Simply call the cops if thieves showed up.  The owners of these lots usually said my presence was saving them much more than they were paying me.  Many of these lots are open from Thanksgiving until Christmas.

As fate would have it, one time the sales person didn't show, so the owner offered me the job.  $10 per tree.  Well I averaged about 100 trees per day, and all I had to do was collect the money and hand out twine.  Occasionally I would spruce up the display if I felt like it.

Since then I have done this in numerous towns, and made $25-30k in that month.

Whether you choose to sell the trees or just offer security, that could spell some income for you soon.  I also make about $5k the week before the 4th of July selling fireworks.  Both gigs are usually advertised in Craigslist.

I make the majority of my income online selling ebooks and hosting.  It was only after retirement that I learned how easy it was to make money without a regular job.  I make far more now than I ever did working for someone else.

There are a number of somewhat unconventional jobs that work well for full timers, here are a few that I know people who do them, not in any particular order.

A) Painting house numbers on curbs. ($10/ea easy to do 10-20 in one neighborhood)

B) Painting brown lawns green. ($100, costs = $10-$15)

C) Grocery shopping for others. ($20/hr)

D) Preparing meals for others. (1 week = $100 + food)

E) House Cleaning, Garage Cleaning, Basement Cleaning, Attic Cleaning etc. ($20/hr)

F) Lawn care/cleaning, weed pulling etc. (Prices vary widely)

G) House sitting.

H) Pet sitting / walking.

I) Transportation to stores, Dr. Appointments, etc. (Self employed!)

J) Handyman type services. ($20/hr minimum)

K) RV Cleaning.

L) Car washing.

M) Window Washing.

N) Bathroom cleaning at businesses, bars, gas stations, restaurants, fast food, etc. ($5/ea. but many trade this service for meals too.  Many will do like 20 a day, on a route they establish where ever they are.  Many places will gladly pay this to not have to do it themselves.  Supplies are cheap, and it is normally quick and easy work.

O) Offering jump starts. ($20-$25)

P) Remote computer tune-ups and/or virus, spyware, & malware removal. ($100)

Q) Remote data recovery. ($100)

R) Photography.

S) Night time security. (You can get paid well for this, or just trade it for having a place to park every night.)

T) Deliveries. (Pizza, flowers, fast food & restaurants, prescriptions, groceries etc.)

U) Street corner sign spinner, or possibly costumed promoter.

V) To/from airport transportation.

W) Stripper transportation. (Many strip clubs will pay drivers to safely deliver their strippers to/from work.) {I made some big money doing this for a year, about $200/day, for ~4 hours work. $20/trip + tips, and the girls were great fun!}

X) Temporary work at carnivals, and fairs.  Caterers sometimes need extra workers too.

Y) Craft fairs, and farmers markets.  Flea markets, swap meets, trade shows, etc.  There's work setting up, tearing down, minding booths, and of course selling your own goods or services.  One guy I know prowls swap meets and flea markets with a hand truck, and a sign that says "Hand Truck For Hire".  Makes good money.

Z) Be an entertainer.  There are lots of possibilities here, from the normal types of street corner busking, to being a costumed entertainer.  Some provide birthday party or event services, some do balloon twisting, face painting, temporary tattoos, or just organize games etc.  Some do full out party planning, maybe company picnics & parties and the like.  Be a Santa Claus!  Or Santa's helper.  Thousands get hired every year.

1) Temp services and day labor services can work well for travelers too.  Many cities have specific street corners where day laborers gather at certain times of the day.

2) Lumping ( Loading/unloading cargo on 18 wheelers ) If you're physically fit, and have a CB radio, these jobs can be secured in many towns.

Craigslist and other free online classified sites can be a great resource for both finding jobs/work, and for offering your services.

As you can see, if you think outside the box, there is money everywhere if you know how to make it, regardless of your age or disabilities.  I don't have to leave my van to make $60k+ a year.

Many Christmas tree lots now hire a couple in an RV and give them full-hookups. One of the stipulations is that one of the couple has to be on the lot at all times, so no need for security.

The people I know who do it make about $5K to $8K for the month.

They are generally listed on workamper.com or other sites like it.
Bob

Great tip on the Christmas tree lots, thanks.

Craigslist "gigs" section is also a good place to look, rather than the "jobs" section.

The "regardless of disabilities" thing gets under my skin, honestly. It's true that one or two disabilities can typically be worked around. But when you've got poor health making you completely unreliable and most days struggle to care for even most basic necessities, there isn't time for much else. Add to that the requirement to wear medical gear that takes up most of my face and distorts my voice, making me difficult to hear in the best of circumstances and impossible to hear with other noise around. Coupled with a severe noise sensitivity that can leave me curled up whimpering in a fetal position. Don't forget the panic attacks, contributing to the unreliability, and the severe PTSD triggers including when I have to do any math.

I literally go through the list and cross off the ones my disabilities would rule me out for, and there are very few remaining, most of which I've already tried/am trying.

I believe it's possible to eventually find gigs that are doable for me, but 99% of them are ruled out from the get go and I'm pursuing that last 1%, many of which end up being ruled out after all. It's disheartening. And to see it so casually tossed out that "regardless of disabilities" money can be made...sucks. I think some people lack imagination of just how many disabilities can be stacked on top of a person to the point where they're genuinely incapable of working any jobs currently available to them.

Rugster said:
How do you sell hosting? Any help? :)

I have a reseller hosting account, which is no longer offered by where I have mine, but there are still many available.

I pay $19.95/mo for my account which includes unlimited disk space, and unlimited domains & subdomains.  The main company provides all of the maintenance and support for my customers.  I keep 100% of all profits from my customers. 

I also pay a 3rd party to do all of the advertising for me, and it has been growing steadily by about 100 customers per year.  I also pay them $19.95/mo for the advertising.

After 5 years, I have about 600 customers paying each month for hosting, and last year I cleared just over $65k from it after expenses.

Not all of the reseller hosting companies are the same.  You want one where you pay a small monthly fee for unlimited hosting, disk space, bandwidth, and domains.  Where you keep all profits, but they provide all the support to your customers.

The one I use also offers an easy WYSIWYG website builder, and a lot of other good features like WordPress etc. 

Some people offer free websites if you sign up for hosting, as an incentive to new customers.  I've seen some offer a free Adsense ready website for free with signup.  So there are various things you can do to  help entice new customers to go with you.  I just pay for advertising.

Hope this helps.

akrvbob said:
Many Christmas tree lots now hire a couple in an RV and give them full-hookups. One of the stipulations is that one of the  couple has to be on the lot at all times, so no need for security.

The people I know who do it make about $5K to $8K for the month.

They are generally listed on workamper.com or other sites like it.
Bob

I've never done a Christmas tree lot that offered ANY hookups...

Having the ability to spend the night as security definitely gives van dwellers and RV'ers an advantage for the jobs.

Different places may have different pay schemes, the ones I've done paid $10 per tree, and my sales were about 100 per day averaged out.  But even at only $5k-$8k for a month, that's nothing to sneeze at either.  Prices and pay could easily vary by area or size of town etc. too.

I got many of mine off Craigslist.

Bitty said:
The "regardless of disabilities" thing gets under my skin, honestly. It's true that one or two disabilities can typically be worked around.
Trust me when I say that I do not take disabilities or the severity of them lightly.

While certainly not all of the things I listed are for everybody, working online, on your own time schedule, and at your own pace, is the most disability friendly form of work I know.

Not working for someone else, but working for yourself.  The reseller hosting is a good example.  It cost me $60 up front to get everything set up. $20: hosting account, $20: pre made website, and $20: advertising.

Total recurring costs = $40/mo plus a little in PayPal fees.

It paid for itself the first month, and slowly built a positive income every month since.  Within the first year it was generating $1,000+ income for basically a hands free business.  Now after about 5 years, it is approaching $6k per month.

The hardest part of  the whole set up was the fact that I was determined to find an advertising company that was not doing any advertising for any other hosting sites, and that took some searching.  I don't know whether that actually made a difference or not, but that was my approach.

I have lost loved ones from severe disabilities, but as long as we have the ability to think and communicate, there will always be options available.  Being limited in physical ability just requires superior thinking capability to figure out how we CAN do things rather than why we can't do them.

If the superior thinking capability is not within our grasp, then we should seek out and surround ourselves with the people who can make our lives just a little bit better.  There is no shame in asking for, needing, or accepting help.

gsfish said:
I always thought that car/motorcycle detailing would be something that could be done from a vehicle. Might get work at used car lots, title loan places, auctions in addition to individuals.

Guy

That is actually a very good one, and it brought to mind a fellow I know that hits car lots and polishes out fogged over headlights for $10/car.  As far as I know it's his only source of income, so it must be okay.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Trust me when I say that I do not take disabilities or the severity of them lightly.

While certainly not all of the things I listed are for everybody, working online, on your own time schedule, and at your own pace, is the most disability friendly form of work I know.

Not working for someone else, but working for yourself.  The reseller hosting is a good example.  It cost me $60 up front to get everything set up. $20: hosting account, $20: pre made website, and $20: advertising.

I have lost loved ones from severe disabilities, but as long as we have the ability to think and communicate, there will always be options available.  Being limited in physical ability just requires superior thinking capability to figure out how we CAN do things rather than why we can't do them.

If the superior thinking capability is not within our grasp, then we should seek out and surround ourselves with the people who can make our lives just a little bit better.  There is no shame in asking for, needing, or accepting help.

If you're interested in teaching me the ropes of reseller hosting I'd be game to try that out. Generally technical stuff is highly stressful to me, discovered from several years of soldiering through various blogging attempts on multiple platforms, including self-hosted, but if it's something that can be set up and then left alone then I'd totally be down for that. Are you interested in helping?

My health is such that I require a caregiver to reliably accomplish daily necessities. This has been documented through a 3 month approval process. Yet despite needing and asking for the help...it still hasn't happened. In fact, it's nowhere near happening. I was approved for the state to pay for a caregiver, but then they said it has to be in a residence or an RV with full kitchen and bath. Whether or not I need one is not even remotely in question. It's just that one is not available to me. Pure and simple. Hygiene and personal care suffers most, because I prioritize food, mental health, and organization. My "free time" is typically activities that improve my shakey mental/emotional wellbeing or cleaning up my van.

Trust me, I work out how I CAN do things all day long. I've figured out how to survive vandwelling with my unique limitations, which involve unpredictable bouts of severe illness and life-threatening emergencies. My issue is not negative thinking. I'm being realistic: there's only so much ability in the pot and if all of one's ability is currently going towards survival and that's still not always enough, then there's really none leftover. Getting help would be fantastic, I have chased down all the benefits I'm aware of and ask people outright as well. Many are willing to, but then get a bit of a shock from my unique limitations and end up bailing, and I don't blame them.

You live in a world where you either have the ability or people help fill in the gaps for you. Can I move there? I don't have the former and I would love to get my life in a better place with the latter, all that's missing is the "help" part of it. ;)

Bitty,

Of course of I'm willing to help! I'll PM you here shortly.

OG

Great idea list! Along the Christmas theme, a friend's neighbor gets yearly gigs as Santa Claus.

Occupation W is also known as pandering, which is considered a first class felony in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is punishable by up to seven years in prison and a fine of up to $15,000.

Mr.LooRead said:
Occupation W is also known as pandering, which is considered a first class felony in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is punishable by up to seven years in prison and a fine of up to $15,000.
So, all their politicians serve from prison?

just as long as the people in occupation W are not doing anything illegal. it's not against the law to give them a ride. highdesertranger

Since when are strippers considered illegal?   There are like 10 strip clubs in every town near a military base.

The morality of strippers is totally off-topic and any more posts on it will be deleted.

If it offends you, simply don't do it.

This forum isn't the place to spread your moral standards unless they directly apply to vandwelling/RVing.
Bob