RIP highdesertranger

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a reminder and announcement that there will be a Campout get together in honor of Mike, “High Desert Ranger” from the 22d to the 29th of January at Scadden Wash in Quartzsite. For those of you who will be attending the RTR this is also a good location for camping near to town. The paved road is rough but most people drive in the dirt on either side of the road and it’s fine.

On the 29th there will be a memorial stone and plaque placed for him at Celia’s Garden in town. His mother, along with other family members, will be traveling to Quartzsite to attend and it would really be nice if we could have a great show of support and love for Mike and his family.

The coordinates to the camp are

33°39'26.7"N 114°09'02.1"W

Kudos to y'all for making the memorial happen.
I'm gonna look to make it.

Cam, if I can help in any way please let me know

vandella said:
Cam, if I can help in any way please let me know

I can’t really think of anything off hand except spreading the word. We went to look at the site in Celia’s garden today and will be making his little space pretty.

I still get sad when I see his posts on threads that are still active. He was the best! I had no idea of his medical struggles.
Having nearly died three times myself from heart attacks, I realize our temporary status well. I feel so bad for those who suffer for long periods. With a heart attack, one suffers for moments to a few hours. Surgeries can be unpleasant of course, but no major suffering.

This is a reminder and announcement that there will be a Campout get together in honor of Mike, “High Desert Ranger” from the 22d to the 29th of January at Scadden Wash in Quartzsite. For those of you who will be attending the RTR this is also a good location for camping near to town. The paved road is rough but most people drive in the dirt on either side of the road and it’s fine.

On the 29th there will be a memorial stone and plaque placed for him at Celia’s Garden in town. His mother, along with other family members, will be traveling to Quartzsite to attend and it would really be nice if we could have a great show of support and love for Mike and his family.

On the 29th, any plans for the timing of the event at Celia's Garden, or is it private?
-crofter

I've been away from the forum for some time so when I saw the summary email today with the title that HDR passed, I gasped. In the past few days, I've been catching up and even read a couple threads with sprinkles of HDR being his funny, ornery self. I am now in shock and so sad to realize he passed in Sept.

I don't post often but anytime I've had a question or problem, HDR would share his eternal wisdom. Many times his 3-4 word posts would be enough to force me into a belly laugh. He was also instrumental in helping me in 2017 steering me in right direction when looking to purchase our conversion van.

I'm from NJ so when I saw that he was planning to go prospecting in Oregon last year around the time we were traveling in that area, I was really excited with possibility of being able to meet him.

He probably didn't even remember me among the hundreds of others he helped on this forum, but I will always remember him.

RIP HDR.

Been away from the forum for a minute, and I'm so saddened to see this news... I am seriously bummed. Had several conversations via CRVL with HDR and he seemed like a real solid dude. Okay, maybe he was a little crusty and rough around the edges but I know he had a good heart. Always looked forward to meeting and hanging out with him one day but unfortunately never had the opportunity. Probably not wholly PC to say in this day and age but he was a real 'man's man'. Reminds me of my grandfather, half genius, and well... half... you know. HDR you will be missed.

I was looking forward to meeting him when I get out there. Kind of hard to imagine this forum without him.

So sorry to hear of his passing. I didn't know him, but I sought out his posts. Crusty yes, but always information I appreciated. Happy Trails High Desert Ranger.

Rest in Peace HDR. It was really sad to hear of his passing last year....

I hope you've hit that Mother Load in the sky...IMGP0246.JPG

So sad to learn of his passing. I've been away from the Forum for two years, but before I left highdesertranger helped me immensely. He answered so many questions about my truck, toppers and my truck camper. When I returned to the forum last night I was hoping he would log in. Huge loss to everyone here. Thank you HDR.

Got a time and street address for this as most likely it will be a day trip if it is possible for me to attend. Thank you for doing this.