To Pet, or Not to Pet? Pros and Cons, please!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before she made the trip over the rainbow bridge, I would ask people to stick treats and even bacon in her mouth and she wouldn't eat it. That sounds like hyperbole, but it's true. She didn't start eating from other people until she got older and started losing her self control.

I travelled all over the eastern seaboard of the US for 14 years, most of that time with a large dog (Collies - 2 of them, one at a time)

It worked well when I had a 35' Class A- I could park it, turn on the generator, turn on the A/C, close the drapes and go do the shopping. Not so good when I was travelling in a van - had to do the grocery shopping sometimes at 11 PM at night after it cooled down enough so I could leave him in the van safely.

I was doing art shows at the time and some shows would allow him to be in the booth with me, others, not even on the property. I had to constantly source out kennels in strange to me towns to board him while I was doing the shows.

Tourism activities were largely out of the question - no place to leave the dog.

When my last Collie passed away 5 years ago I made the conscious and hard thought out decision not to have another companion.  I prefer the van over a larger RV for a whole host of reasons and want to be able to hike and visit a lot of tourist places that he would not be welcome.

Do I  miss having a dog - yes, certainly. But for me it was the right decision.

Instead I have doggie and cat nieces and nephews that I can spend time with and send them home... :D

Can't wait to see my favorite niece - Miss Ivy!!!

I will have my two cats with me when I hit the road. I won't rely and someone else to care for them the way that I want them cared for. But then I becoming more and more unable to do a lot of things that a younger person might want to do though so for me the companionship is more important. I haven't been out on the road permanently yet but I have been homeless...well actually I kinda am now but of all people my ex's family has taken me in. I cook pretty good though for now that's enough to cover rent for the room i and my cats live in. i lived in little dodge omni though once years ago with another cat that I had then and we did pretty good in it. Wouldn't want to ever do it again because I had to though. This time it'll be because I choose to...hopefully. Anyway yeah for me i'd choose to have the pet. Even though I'm an introvert I do need companionship and animals are just better at then most people are. And they don't care how rich you are or what you look like either.

AMGS3 said:
Another factor is the irresponsible dog owners. These are 'dog people' in only the bare minimum sense of the term. This runs the spectrum of everything from owners who don't clean up their dog's poops to people who do things like encourage your dog to jump up on them 'cuz they think it's "cute". That really happened to me, and my dog was a huge rott/german shepherd mix. She passed about 10 yrs ago, long before I made the decision to pursue this life. Nope it's not cute to encourage someone's dog to do things they aren't allowed to do. It's obnoxious and some people don't get that. 

Have you or anyone here ever read Shirley Jackson's "The Haunting of Hill House"?  

There's a scene in which the protagonist is on her way to the haunted house.  She has been portrayed largely as the victim of a distorted family until that point, finally taking some chances and getting her freedom when hitting the road.

In a restaurant, she sees a family sitting nearby.  A child is being a little naughty and gets scolded by its (forgot if it was a him or her) parents.  The protagonist gives her kind of a wink and a nod and subtly encourages her to keep it up.

On first read-through, I didn't think too much of it.  Kind of cute and basically harmless.  

After I had finished the book and come back to read it again (it's a very subtle book that repays rereading) I realized I had been horrifically wrong.  The protagonist wasn't being cute and mischievous, but basically harmless.  She was countermanding the parents' will knowingly and secretly.  She was a goblin!

People trying to take your control of your dog from you may feel that what they are doing is harmless, but it isn't.  And they may feel harmless in indulging themselves in doing so ... but they're not.  It's serious business undermining a parent or dog-owner.  And meaningfully unpleasant.

Lots of great insight from personal experience in this thread. While there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer that fits every traveller, there's certainly enough information for people to make wise choices. Me? I think it's best I wait and get some miles under my tires first. I haven't ruled getting another pet at some point but, I think it's something I can take off my plate for now.

Thanks to everyone for their posts!

There are times when I think that could I turn back the clock I would have not gotten Max. Then again I say that having the companionship and purpose he gives me which is why I got him in the first place. Having a reason to get up, a reason to walk, a reason to care is his gift to me. His alertness tells me if anything is within the area long before I would know. He has Aunts and Uncles that love him and he loves them as long as they do not expect him to go for a long walk because if Dad isn't going, neither is he.

On the downside is everything mentioned here. I have to constantly consider him in everything I do. I am lucky having the trailer so that he is never left in the truck while I do my errands but I can't take a trip or even leave for a extended time. It is part of the balance in having a pet that I had to accept when I got him.

Oh and he is a chic magnet like it does me a lot of good. lol

I agree with Jim. Not being able to attend functions or be away from my GR is a minor loss compared to the companionship we share.  If she can't go, I don't go and that's fine. We work around it. Love is everything... :heart:

I actually SAVE a lot of money having a little dog.

I don't eat out at restaurants as much, I don't hang out at bars as much or as long, I don't go to concerts or movies or other expensive public events, and I don't go on expensive, long distance motorcycle trips anymore.

So the return on investment is actually pretty good.

Plus I get exercise, love, and companionship as a HUGE bonus. 

Can't put a price on that.

2017-10-24 18.07.18.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-10-24 18.07.18.jpg
    2017-10-24 18.07.18.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 10
tx2sturgis said:
I actually SAVE a lot of money having a little dog.

Plus I get exercise, love, and companionship as a HUGE bonus. 

Good points, all.  A dog helps regulate your life and normalize your habits, keeping them within healthier bounds.  And the need to walk him has health benefits for pet and owner alike.  Considering the enormous cost of medical care, anything that encourages our own health has a dollar value too.  It's hard to see the money you're NOT spending, though that's a real thing too.

Plus a pet is a great way of getting away from a situation that you do not wish to continue in. Conversation getting boring? Gotta go check on Max. Someone wants to do what you do not wish to? Sorry but Max hasn't been feeling well lately. Someone hangs out a bit too much? Nice chatting but it's time for Max's walk now.

People have no issue expecting me to sacrifice myself but they know better than to think I will sacrifice my puppy's well being.

jimindenver said:
There are times when I think that could I turn back the clock I would have not gotten Max.  ....I have to constantly consider him in everything I do....  Then again I say that having the companionship and purpose he gives me which is why I got him in the first place. Having a reason to get up, a reason to walk, a reason to care is his gift to me. His alertness tells me if anything is within the area long before I would know. 
Hey Jim!  I just subscribed to your YouTube channel a day or two ago and now I see you here!  

The reasons you mentioned above are the reasons why I won't be getting a furry companion at the start, but also why I'm not ruling out the option later.

jimindenver said:
Plus a pet is a great way of getting away from a situation that you do not wish to continue in. Conversation getting boring? Gotta go check on Max. Someone wants to do what you do not wish to? Sorry but Max hasn't been feeling well lately. Someone hangs out a bit too much? Nice chatting but it's time for Max's walk now.

People have no issue expecting me to sacrifice myself but they know better than to think I will sacrifice my puppy's well being.

Thanks, Jim, you've added a new tool to my social toolbox!

As the years pass I ever more reflect on the saying/conversation that goes something like this,
One asks: "Should I (fill in the blank of__do/get/be/whatever...)?"
To which the other replies: "Not if you don't have to...."

Canine said:
Before she made the trip over the rainbow bridge, I would ask people to stick treats and even bacon in her mouth and she wouldn't eat it. That sounds like hyperbole, but it's true. She didn't start eating from other people until she got older and started losing her self control.

Canine,
So sorry to hear about your fur baby also crossing the rainbow bridge. My sweet baby boy Mio, a Great Pyrenese Mountain Dog crossed over too and way to early. Sad story, not getting into it now. Your tale/tail (pun intended) did however bring a big smile to my face, as Mio would never eat treats given to him from strangers. Most... (far from everyone) would ask if first if they could give him a treat. (perhaps because he was as big as a small horse??) I'd ask what it was and if it was something I approved of, I'd say "yes, but don't be surprised if he spits it out..." And yep, everytime, he'd politely, like the giant gentleman he was carefully take it from their fingers, roll it around in his mouth, turn his head  to the side and spit it out... LOL Gawds, I miss that big goof!!  :heart: Going on 10 years without him now, but he'll always, regardless of how many dogs I've had after him hold the number 1 spot in my heart. Thank you for bringing back a happy memory from his days. :heart:
//Solani

Hi Jack,
So sorry to read about your fur baby crossing over. Yes, it is very difficult and heartbreaking when one of our family members pass on, regardless of if it's a human family member or a pet family member. Love is love and it hurts when they leave us. I've had many both cats and dogs throughout the years and it doesn't get any easier when their time is up, even if they do live on in our heart and memories. It's not really a comfort since you can't hold them or physically feel them, even if you many times can sense their presence. When I feel their "presence" I always acknowledge it, even if people think I'm a total loon... I don't care, think what you think. This is what and how I feel and IF my fur babies are around, I want them to know that I feel it, love them and miss them.  :heart: 
So, yeah, I'm weird and proud of it! ;)  

Anywho... I've always had both cats and dogs as family members and quite honestly, somedays, those are the only ones that have kept me alive and functioning. Giving me a reason (after my kids moved out) to get out of bed, take care of their needs, both for the reason that I dearly love them but also I feel their love. I have PTSD and the sense of security and calm they have provided for me in the past and present has been invaluable. My current dog is a registered emotional support dog as well as a service dog in training. I don't go anywhere without her. Having found myself in the situation that coming next month I'll be homeless, We, my dog Nova and I will be hitting the road. Regardless, even if she is a registered emotional support animal, there are still problems that can be a royal pain in the rear... Mostly from people that don't think there is anything "wrong" with me, since you can't see anything visually ailing me... Then there are the plain a-holes that just have to have their negative comments on anything and everything. I tend to avoid most people as people are actually one of my main triggers and Nova knows this and strategically places her big body between me and whomever is approaching. That is one of her "jobs", keeping people away from my personal space and not in my face. It doesn't matter that our status is protected under the law and I do everything I can to make sure she doesn't invade other people and animals space. Most of the time when we're out, she'll have her vest and ID tags on. Some people respect that she is working and leave her alone and then there are others that just HAVE TO oooooh and aaaaaah over her trying to give her kisses for being such a loyal doggie... That in itself drives me bonkers! Don't know how many times I've been told I'm rude, downright evil and not to forget, being an animal abuser for not letting my dog great them or their dog... big sigh... So yeah, I agree with the posters here that write that the biggest problem when it comes to having pets, working or not is... people...

Anyhow, nuff said about that...
I agree with you about choosing to wait when it comes to adding a new pet family member. Wait until you feel that you are ready, or... an animal out there choses you... Those are the ones that just eat their way into your heart and build a home for themselves in it without pushing the previous fur baby out.   :heart:
//Solani

Solani, that story about your gentle giant was pretty cool. I was able to imagine it quite well. My girl just got old, so she lived a pretty full life with a lot of miles under those legs. Of course it was hard to see her go, but I doubt she had many regrets.

Solani said:
 Regardless, even if she is a registered emotional support animal, there are still problems that can be a royal pain in the rear... Mostly from people that don't think there is anything "wrong" with me, since you can't see anything visually ailing me... Then there are the plain a-holes that just have to have their negative comments on anything and everything. I tend to avoid most people as people are actually one of my main triggers and Nova knows this and strategically places her big body between me and whomever is approaching. 

My dog does that instinctively. I've found it amazing to watch.  When a neighbor's dog who regularly runs and smashes into one of our other dogs, sometimes even throwing her into a somersault, starts approaching her, he quietly walks between them.  When that dog switches position, so does mine, interposing himself again.  My dog just looks straight ahead, calmly.  No pressure, nothing to think about, nothing to do here.  All my dog appears to be doing is inhaling the wind.  But ...

... he is THERE.  Precisely.

The other dog gets the message that if he wants our other smaller dog, he has to come through my dog.  Now the game isn't so fun anymore.  Does he think he can take my dog?  Who knows?  But the game has become more trouble than it's worth.  The story moves on, and nobody has been hurt or upset, no owner and no dog.  Eventually the other dog turns about and finds something to think about.  My dog, relaxed as ever, goes about some other business.  The whole thing is a model of quiet care and benevolent authority.  A huge problem between not just dogs but owners has been solved, and I haven't had to do a thing.  

Regarding other people not understanding another's disability, I understand that comprehensively.  I have strabismus and scoliosis, neither of which are necessarily immediately understandable as having much effect, both of which can make an amazing difference in personal abilities.  Even friends and family who have known me for decades often can't understand what it means to have strabismus, for the easiest example.  When I tell them I can't see in three dimensions, only 2-D, even my own mother asks why I can't just try harder.  Scoliosis is vastly simpler intellectually, really bog-standard, but possibly even harder to explain.  Unless your body shape is cast in nearly impossible dimensions, people are reluctant to believe there could be anything wrong of any note with a mis-aligned spine and its limitations and tendencies.  In fact they'll even argue against it!

I think this is a product of inelegant analogy.  People tend to think of themselves and then extrapolate both their own capacities and their own laziness to you ... and then decide that since you look healthy on the outside, you're like them in all important respects.  And so since they would never in their wildest dreams be held back by a "little" back-ache (scoliosis) or strabismus (inability to see in 3D), you shouldn't be either and are just a malingerer.  They analogize themselves to someone who only *looks* like them for the most part (the crossed eyes of strabismus and hunched or twisted backs of scoliosis notwithstanding) and on that basis assume another is effectively on their level.  And from there comes the criticism ...

Yet when I saw a chiropractor in my early 30's he told me he didn't want to take a chance on working on me, because it was too unsafe, and that even then I had the back of a 70 year old man.  He actually refused to take me on as a patient.  Sometimes I see stars trying to straighten my back, but since I'm not the elephant man ... 

There's a TED talk that hits on the inability of people to understand other people that I think quite interesting.

Scott Adams, the Dilbert guy, has several videos about this.  His politics may or may not be to his taste, but his analysis of people is often pretty interesting.  He claims that about 30% of people simply cannot understand jokes.  They may smile and clap, but they're looking around uneasily at the folks around them approving of the joke, and merely instinctively go along.

Jon Ronson examines psycopaths and sociopaths in his book, The Psychopath Test, looking over, among other things, a famous psycopathy test that examines tendencies to remove oneself from the realm of ordinary understanding.

The truth is, a lot of us, not just genetically but even generationally and likely in many other ways there's no time to go into here, simply *cannot* understand each other. 

That's has all the potential of a hand lifting the lid of Pandora's Box.

This thread is stale but I still want to throw in my two cents worth. I have been full-timing for only 3 weeks and chances are good that I am going to quit very soon. Why? Because I am traveling with a dog and a cat and that, as others have already stated, can be very limiting. Plus, while I try not to worry about things that haven't happened, I can't help but stress about the possibility of a break-down that requires days in the shop while traveling with my dog and cat. The options in such a situation are likely to be few and expensive.
I can't attribute feelings or thoughts to my dog and cat but I can sense their contentment. I do not feel as though either animal is very happy being cooped up in a small Class B. Previously, my dog had a big yard to run around in whenever he wanted and the cat loved to roam the house.
If I were not living this lifestyle with my dog and cat, I'd probably be pretty thrilled but I have realized that I will better satisfy my travel urges by going back to a S&B's and using pet sitters when I travel.
I know a lot of people manage to live this lifestyle with their pets but you will be confined by it, i.e., not as much opportunities to explore/hike; limited to temperate weather if you are boondocking and/or visiting urban areas, vet issues if your pet gets sick (esp if it's an emergency) and the dreaded breakdown.

Maybe it would he best to co-own a dog with another person or persons.

Anybody wanna share a dog with me?

Google Bugg Dogg (Boston terrier pug cross)