To Pet, or Not to Pet? Pros and Cons, please!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
I'm not a van dweller yet.  It could be up to a year until I'm able to be.  One thing I'm (albeit prematurely) torn on is whether or not to have a pet.  I've seen videos of people with all kinds of pets in all kinds of vehicles, large and small.

Those of you who do have a dog/cat, what do you think new van dwellers need to consider before deciding?  What are the pros and cons?  How much does it limit your freedom when you're stopping to explore different areas?    

I haven't had any family since I was 18.  None.  I've moved and lived around the world for many years until finally settling down in one place now for 18 years.  I adopted a kitten from the human society 12 years ago and he became my family and my buddy.  Two months ago, I had to have him put to sleep due to advanced liver disease.  It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.  I forgot how to breathe.  I'm still not sure how to live without him because we had our habits and routine with each other.  I still see him out of the corner of my eye.  I still hear him at times and feel him jump on the bed in the middle of the night.  I'm only just now starting to be able to talk about him without choking up and getting tears in my eyes. :(

Since he's been gone, I've been noticing how much of my life revolved around him and some ways I was limited just by simply having him.  No vacations or anything longer than an overnight stay.  When he was sick, any time outside my apartment was limited so I could take care of him and be sure he never got lonely.  Because he relied on me for everything, his well-being naturally (and without regret) came first.  That didn't bother me at all.

So, when I start the van life, I see advantages and disadvantages to having a pet.  Getting another cat would be too hard for me. (People in my apartment building keep trying to get me to get another cat and I've had to flat out tell them to stop because it's stressful to me.)   I've never had a dog and it would be nice to have one I could adopt (not a puppy) that would enjoy van life.  But, being new to both dogs and van living, I don't have any objectivity or facts to base my decision on.  What should be the determining factors for any solo, full-time van dweller?  I don't want to leave a dog alone in the van very much but I also don't want to be limited either.

I suppose it's something only I can determine for myself after I do start living the van life.  I realize that.  The companionship of a dog would be great!  No doubt about that!  But I also don't want to be severely limited in my own freedom OR not have the dog's best interests at heart either.  So, what "should" be the determining factors when deciding between freedoms and companionship?

While I wanted a dog for a long time, and I even like my dog, I have come to regret the decision to get/keep a pet while traveling. Mainly it is the added restrictions I face; trails I cant hike, places I can’t go, etc. National Parks, backpacking in many areas, flying off to see Hawaii or whatever, all are much more difficult now.

The dog itself is fine though I wish he would pickup his own damn poop.

Thanks Van-Tramp. That's exactly what I'm looking for and is also pretty much how I feel, at least right now. Maybe after I get the traveling around to see the country bit out of my system and settle down, I'll be in a better position to get a dog.

I'd still rather have my cat with me but, as long as he's gone, I'm going to try to enjoy the new freedoms of not having a pet for awhile. I'd still like to hear other people's thoughts though because, who knows, my feelings may change before I start down the highway for the first time.

Hey Jack,
As I'm struggling with the same issues/decisions, I'll share some of my thoughts on the matter.

One of the biggest factors in keeping your pet ( and yourself) safe on the road is temperature control inside of your vehicle. This is definitely something you have to think about less if you do not have an animal in your vehicle even when you weren't in it.

There are many places where you will likely be able to take your dog with you when you leave the vehicle. Hiking, parks, etc. However there are many places where you might have to go and won't be able to bring your dog along. Grocery shopping, doctor appointments, any offices run by govt agencies (to get permits, for instance).

This isn't a deal breaker, as I could just make sure my vehicle was cooled while I was away. Or, if I was travelling in a group, maybe I could arrange for a fellow traveller to watch my dog for a few hours.

I'm concerned about getting a dog and then being in an unfamiliar area and needing to find a vet. How would you know which one to go to? I suppose in this age of Yelp and online reviews I'm not going into it blind, but still.

And since I don't have a permanent physical address yet, I've heard that some shelters don't like to adopt to nomads. The thinking there is that you need a house with a backyard to have a happy pup. Some even do home inspections (I've personally seen that, but it was years ago). I definitely do not think this is the policy of all shelters, but something to be aware of.

Also, I think that if I lived in a van (I'm in a trailer) I'd be more concerned about space for food and additional water storage.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

A vehicle getting hit by the sun in 90 degree heat can get to 150 degrees in 10 minutes. If you have a pet, you have to not just not leave him alone "very much," but not at all if you aren't well into shade that won't just go away if the clouds shift or just a little bit of time goes by.

In fact some places have ordinances against leaving animals alone in vehicles. You can face fines. Some people might even bust a window. I live in a very "doggy" town and have personally seen parking lot vigilantes get aggressive. My mother is very careful, but she was accosted. I was followed around a parking lot this week just for driving in with a dog. They followed me all around a big parking lot and then pulled up right next to me, staring grimly ahead. Once I got out and took my dog with me, they drove away.

If you absolutely must run out of your vehicle for a few minutes, your pet would probably be much safer tied up outside it, if you can find a place for him to lay down on that isn't blazing hot. A raised trampoline type doggie bed might do the trick too. And a bowl of water. Dogs, at least, shed heat mostly by panting, and that dries them out.

I've traveled solo with a beagle for 10+ years.  Some thoughts:

Pro's
  • You will not find a more loyal and affectionate traveling companion.
  • A dog is great companionship if you travel alone.
  • Your dog will pay close attention to you and understand your moods better than you would ever expect.
  • A dog has much better senses than we do and better situational awareness (city or wilderness).  I've learned to pay attention when Simon is 'on alert'.
  • Dogs are a child magnet.  Great way to strike up a conversation with the parents if you are an introvert like me.
Con's
  • A dog is expensive.  If you are on a tight budget make sure you have the funds to take care of it.
  • A dog requires care and attention.
  • A dog is messy: Hair, drool, yak . . .
  • A dog will restrict where you can go and what you can do.  Most National Parks will have heavy restrictions on where you can go with a dog.  Unless it is a service dog you cannot bring them into most public places.
  • Many cities have laws about leaving a dog unattended in a vehicle even for a short time.  Makes things like grocery shopping and doctor visits problematic or expensive.
  • A dog is a life long commitment.  It is cruel to adopt a dog for a short term trial and then give it up.
When Simon goes I plan on traveling for a year without a dog, then decide if I want another traveling companion.

All great points and I appreciate every comment!  

I feel like I should make something abundantly clear:  If I had a dog with me, the last thing he would be is neglected or left alone!  I would never leave my dog alone - especially in the heat or cold - while I ran around sightseeing all day.  Absolutely not!  If I do end up getting a dog, then I will adapt my life to having him with me everywhere possible and putting his well-being first.  If money became tight and only one of us could eat, my dog would be the one eating.  He'd only ever be left alone while I ran into a store or some other quick errand.  

I just felt the need to clarify that!  I hope we can move forward in this thread based on the knowledge that, if I do get a dog, he would be prioritized and well cared for... not treated as a toy!

"One thing I'm (albeit prematurely) torn on is whether or not to have a pet."

Hi Jack,  I'm so sorry about your cat.  I think you're brave to have decided on another companion.

My situation with <a href="https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=32239&page=7"><b>SOPHIA</b></a> is that she is just 5 pounds (smaller than my daughter's cat) .  She uses a cat box, and is very quiet.  Unless you feed a dog junk food, their litter does not smell like a cat's does.

When I go vanning, it shouldn't be much different than here in a house.  I leave Sophia for long days when I shop or visit someone, etc, with no problem.  The ONE difference would be temperature.  That would need to be worked out either by following mild temps or mechanical means.

I don't know how people manage with large dogs.  For one thing, they need to be walked, and IMO going out regularly to walk a dog, could put you in physical danger.  A tiny dog trained to litter, needs no walk unless it's for fun.  A bonus with Sophia is, her breed enjoys a LONG life.  She will outlive me.

Besides safe temperatures, the outsider problem needs to be solved.  I believe I would post signs on both sides of the van when I leave, stating I will return shortly, and that my animal is provided for and safe.

BIG PROBLEM with tiny dogs, they are costly.  Sophia was $600. but worth every bit of it.

Spaceman Spiff said:
I've traveled solo with a beagle for 10+ years.  Some thoughts:

Pro's
  • Dogs are a child magnet.  Great way to strike up a conversation with the parents if you are an introvert like me.
Con's
  • A dog is expensive.  If you are on a tight budget make sure you have the funds to take care of it.

All great responses, SMSpiff.  I just wanted to second the motion emphatically when it comes to the two points quoted above.

If you've ever felt shy or just a little uncertain, a well-trained dog will often solve that problem.  Most people either like them or like them a whole lot.  A well-trained, highly socialized dog who likes people softens hearts all around and makes most strangers more friendly and outgoing. It somehow validates and "verifies" you as a nice person too, to a lot of people anyway.  It even instantly gives you something to talk or at least exchange a smile about.

It works the other way too, though.  If you have a mean dog especially, it will be hard for people not to assume something's wrong with you too.  So a lot depends on how well you raise and train your dog.

Part of that which some people neglect is socializing.  A dog that never sees children might growl when sees them; they don't move or act like adults at all, and to a dog, anything that's different may be cause for fear ... and fear causes aggression.  It will pay off big-time in the long run if you get your dog exposed to all kinds of people and places.  

___________________________________-

Also, on the expense ... yeah.  It can cost considerable hundreds per year just for very ordinary vaccinations, licensing, and flea and tick and, say, heartworm medication.  Food isn't bad, but it isn't free either.  And sooner or later you're more likely than not to have a thousand-dollar vet bill come along, due to injury or illness.  Or worse than that.  Every few years is far from out of the question.

So if you have a dog, the size of your emergency fund needs to be notably bigger.  The size of your everyday-living budget, too.  There's a lot more than food going on.

I actually love this. My Golden is now 'priority'.  Her welfare is my number #1 concern. That being a fact is a prime motivator on where I travel and how I live. It is a big commitment! My #1 rule for life-on-the-road is - If she can't go, I don't go...That is a sacrifice. One I am willing to make. Still, it is a sacrifice...Cheers

Dogs/cats are hard to have as has been stated several times. The reason is having a pet allows other people to have control over you. If you are playing with your dog off leash and aren't being a problem or have no potential of being a problem, someone will eventually call law enforcement on you and say your dog attacked them and/or their pet. Want to eat in a restaurant? Nope. Want to hike I a NP? Nope, but at least there are more areas that are just as beautiful and less busy that do allow pets. Want a girlfriend? Lots of girls don't like dogs or don't like having to wait on you while you take care of your dog. Then if you get a girl that likes dogs or has a dog(s) then they will train their dogs differently than you. That may not be a big deal to most, but for those of us that insist on the best behavior possible, it is a deal breaker. It sucks spending all that time training your dog and they want to undo all those years of training so she can train the dog the way she wants to. Is it hot out? Even if you have AC, someone is going to call the cops on you because they think having an animal in a vehicle for any reason is wrong. You will get into fights with other dogs. You will get into conflicts with people who have dogs. Your shopping trips can be very limited depending on where you go. Some places have dogs all over and go into hardware stores and such. Other places treat dogs as if they are poison. If you want to ride in a someone else's car, they are likely not going to be happy having your animal in there. Your life will have fewer people in it. You will have to listen to everyone's training methods over and over and over again and their methods will never match up with yours, so you will be wrong. I saw a lady get a dangerous dog ticket because another loose dog attacked hers. That same loose dog went after mine, but I fought it off before the attack. Despite my input, she still got a ticket. If another dog attacks hers, her dog will be put down. And it is a good dog and she always keeps it on leash. The loose dog is often off leash.

For me I would have a dog if work allowed me. I won't work 10 or 12 hours a day and leave my dog alone that long. Since i don't care much for people anyway, a dog works well for me. The biggest thing is work. The second biggest thing is wanting to be left alone and not have conflicts with Nosey Nellies that won't leave me alone because of my dog. If you live in a rural area, dogs are soooo much easier. Some cities are pretty good with dogs, too, but not too many.

I agree that I'd never leave my dog alone in a vehicle with no AC running. It's important that people clarify this (even repeatedly) because this thread isn't just for the OP, it's for anyone coming later to learn from the community.

The biggest unknown as far as I'm concerned is the 'other people' factor. There are instances where people have broken side windows in moderate temps while the owner was in the gas station paying for gas. There have been people who have had their windows smashed to save a stuffed animal in the back seat. This is because people don't always think before they act. Yes, dogs do die in hot vehicles. But people are on high alert looking out for that and even though they do get ticketed for destruction of property, some don't think before they smash your windows. I don't know if leaving large notes would help or not.

Another factor is the irresponsible dog owners. These are 'dog people' in only the bare minimum sense of the term. This runs the spectrum of everything from owners who don't clean up their dog's poops to people who do things like encourage your dog to jump up on them 'cuz they think it's "cute". That really happened to me, and my dog was a huge rott/german shepherd mix. She passed about 10 yrs ago, long before I made the decision to pursue this life. Nope it's not cute to encourage someone's dog to do things they aren't allowed to do. It's obnoxious and some people don't get that. Or people who think that since they feed their dog scraps then they can feed them to your dog, too.

I do agree that properly socializing your dog is crucial. They need it to be able to feel comfortable in many different settings. So it's a balance. People can be so cool and yet they can be so idiotic.

Yup. The 'people factor' is the hardest one to plan for.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

AMGS3 said:
The biggest unknown as far as I'm concerned is the 'other people' factor.  I don't know if leaving large notes would help or not.

I meant To add to the note idea, posting your cell phone number, so people realize you're "on call" and a responsible person.

Of course there's no way to anticipate or deal with crazed idiots on the road, or even at your local grocery.

Be aware of your surroundings at all times.  It's a dangerous world no matter WHERE you are.
grocery.

The best protection from interference with your pet inside your rig, is to block all windows.

AMGS3 said:
Nope it's not cute to encourage someone's dog to do things they aren't allowed to do. It's obnoxious and some people don't get that. Or people who think that since they feed their dog scraps then they can feed them to your dog, too.

This is a real big one, I find.  Giving dogs treats is fun, but you have to hope they don't do it without permission.  What they should really be doing is asking you for even so much as permission to pet your dog.  Just for their own safety.  Even very bitey dogs can look calm or smiley, only to suddenly change when you get nearer.

Anyway, lots of people don't even know what's bad for dogs, much less what simply isn't good for them.  They weren't made to eat refined carbohydrates and lots of sugar, for instance, so neither of those things are good for them.  They don't need your pastry scraps or a bite of pie.  That would just spike their blood sugar up, add empty calories, and since dogs don't brush their teeth, promote tooth decay in a big way.  A lot of people don't know that grapes, raisins, and chocolate are poison to dogs -- and some won't even believe it when you tell them!  And this despite the fact that the ability to google something is often only seconds away ...

... and some don't understand the essential similarity between "made of chocolate" and "has chocolate in it."  So they want to feed your dog a chocolate chip cookie, for instance.  

So though I do let my dog have dog biscuits if he hasn't already eaten too much that day, I just tell folks "NO PEOPLE FOOD" when it comes to treating my dog.  Sometimes it also helps to tell them your vet says your dog is sensitive to it, since there's something a little perverse in people that might make it tempting to slip a naughty child a piece of candy.

I travel with two small dogs, full time, for over two years. I wouldn’t want to be without the companionship as I am alone a lot. These two little guys love me, protect me, and are my best friends. They alert me to things I miss. They are watching when I am not. Feeding two small dogs costs me less than $10 a month, a small price to pay for loyal companions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papillon.jpg
Blanch said:
I travel with two small dogs, full time, for over two years.

Agreed Blanche,  I wouldn't want to be without my Sophia for any length of time.  She is alert to anything that is out of the ordinary.  Her ears are like the Papillon dogs, way oversized for her 5 pounds.  Come to think of it, IMO Sophia looks more like a Papillon than what the breeder said YorkiePoo.

Anyway, I enjoy having her sit with me, and especially sleeping in the nook of my knees in winter.

Attachments

• Papillon.jpg
    Papillon.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 7
I hate it when people think they can feed my dog. When if I decided to put a fuel additive in their Harley without their permission? They would throw a fit- and rightfully so. But when it comes to dogs, people think they can do what they want to your dog and somehow they have it twisted around in their minds that it's OK. I've learned that in order to have a dog, one has to be a jerk. I can't tell you how many times I've said, "No treats, but you can pet." Disallowing someone feeding my dog is me being a jerk in their minds. It doesn't matter what real life is; what matters is their perception. You have to make the choice to allow these people some level of inappropriate control over your lives, or force them to respect your property. Either way you lose. Me? Dog usually comes first. People not so much. Had a lady stick her arm in my truck trying to feed my dog some crappy Milk Bone or other and she got quite a startle when my dog barked a good warning at her. I laughed. She said, "I was just trying to give her a treat." I ignored her, got out of my truck, and walked into the store. I didn't say anything else because my dog said what needed to be said.

Canine said:
I hate it when people think they can feed my dog.
Canine, Teach your dog to eith bare its teeth, or snarl, or even walk away from anyone offering food other than you. :idea:

Dingfelder said:
Also, on the expense  . . . It can cost considerable hundreds per year just for very ordinary vaccinations, licensing, and flea and tick and, say, heartworm medication . . . And sooner or later you're more likely than not to have a thousand-dollar vet bill come along, due to injury or illness . . .

If you want to take care of your dog and treat it well the vet and medications will probably be your biggest expense. With an old dog (Simon is 12+) I am spending ~ $100/month.  And yes, you should plan for at least one big vet bill.