Introducing myself

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2honorHim

Reaction score
Hello to you, everyone!  ?

This is a very long post because I take seriously the forum’s invitation to introduce myself to you, who read and participate in, this forum.

Since we only get one opportunity for our “introduction,” I tried to include those things that would help you get to know me, better.

Several years ago, I read something that impressed me, very much...

And I find it to be increasingly true: 

“A stranger is just a friend you haven’t met, yet!”

I like that...

I like that because, more often than not, I have found that, if I make myself friendly to others, other people are more than ready to be friendly with me, also. 

What a wonderful revelation that is! This is my attempt to “make myself friendly” to all of you.

Over the years, I’ve often driven past houses in a neighborhood that I’ve just moved into and thought, “I’d love to meet these people!  I’d love to sit down at the kitchen table and just get to know them, better.”

“I’d like for them to tell me about themselves, about what’s important to them...”

and I was wishing I might know what I could do to make their lives better.

But, I had to keep driving along, seeing only sticks and bricks and wood and metal and glass – –but hardly ever any people.

I guess that kind of attitude comes from my being raised as the eldest of five very closely-spaced children who were raised on a large several-generation family dairy farm in Indiana where we walked, or drove, on gravel roads...

and we waved at everyone who drove by.

That was many years and three children ago, but I guess what they say is true: “You can take the girl out of a small community – – but you can’t take the small community out of the girl.”

Sadly, today, the average lifestyle that most of us experience does not allow that kind of familiarity because we never see each other except when we are hurriedly driving past each other in our vehicles…

or hurriedly walking past each other as we shop...

or are too often staring at our smart phones as we pass one another on the street.

Nowadays, with the seemingly-always-present smart phones in people’s hands, even when we are walking past each other, the opportunity to be able to smile and greet each other in a friendly manner, as we pass by each other, often does not take place because, to my deep disappointment, at least one of those people is busily engaging, instead, with his or her smart phone.

My heart longed to have a brief but friendly exchange.

But that was not to be.

Now, it isn’t just the buildings that keep us away from each other – – it’s the small rectangular glass and plastic computer that all too effectively does the same thing!

The opportunity to smile at each other, in a courteous, friendly manner as we walk past each other, is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

It used to be that, even those of us who lived an isolating lifestyle, could count on friendly exchanges when we left the house and walked past each other on the street.

But that hardly happens anymore, and it has often made me feel very sad! ?

However, the nomadic lifestyle gives us the opportunity to get out, to get away from inside those cold, impersonal, stifling ”sticks and bricks” that tend to imprison us, without our even knowing we have been imprisoned– –

That is, until someone such as Bob Wells introduces us to some alternative possibilities of a much more fulfilling, Humane Lifestyle.

So, I am very much looking forward to meeting all of you – – my new friends.  ☺️

As of a few hours ago, I have taken my first major step toward experiencing a nomadic lifestyle because I’ve signed all the papers required– –

and there were lots and lots of papers required to sign...?

to purchase a 2019 Chevy Express Extended passenger van with just under 36,000 miles on it.

I am currently living in Central Florida, and have been told that my vehicle was a rental from Oklahoma.

Who knows! One of you, my new friends, may have rented that very same vehicle – – or perhaps may have known someone who did.

I love the thought of that!

My purchase is the result of nearly two years of research and uncountable hours spent watching my very favorite YouTube channel, “Cheap RV Living” and other helpful websites for “nomads” and “nomad wannabees”, such as myself.

That’s what I am:

I am a “nomad wannabee”.

Sometimes, however, even during those periods of time that I had decided that “it simply was not practical for me” to live that way, I chose to watch “Cheap RV Living” simply because of the warm, generous, positive spirit that Bob Wells, and those he has chosen to work with tend to exhibit.

They were friendly guests that I invited into the isolation of my home because I was needing a lift in my spirits, for one reason or another.

And their programs always gave me comfort – – no matter what the subject was.

Their message was very clear: “We care about you! We are here to help you. What can we do to help you?”

Almost always, after watching one of their YouTube programs, I found myself seriously considering the nomadic lifestyle, once again, because Bob Wells and so many others keep giving us the message:

“You can do this!

You.
Can.
Do.
This!”

So…

I picked up the phone on Wednesday afternoon, called my nearest Chevy dealer, asked the representative if they had any Chevy Express Extended vans in his lot…

Discovered, to my delight, that they did…

And made an appointment For Friday morning at 8:30 AM.

At 5:00 PM, on that very day, I drove away in my new van, that was now loaded with a few things that remained in my 2004 Buick Century, that I had now traded in.

My intention was to simply see, for myself, how much space there actually is inside an extended van...

and to see if I felt that I could safely drive it.

Nearly two years of research and much prayer had guided me to what I wanted…

And there it was, all shiny and new– –

At least it was new to me – –

and whatever cubic foot storage was in that van seemed to hold many opportunities, discoveries and possibilities.

Had I known about this alternative lifestyle, before, I’d have probably tried it several years ago!

And once I discovered it, there was an immediate acknowledgment of possibilities that were within my reach if I would be willing to approach it with good common sense, much research and a great deal of prayer.

Widowed only a few days ago, knowing that it was now time for me to choose between the “Tried-and-not-so true” sticks and bricks isolated experience…

or the ever increasingly popular “nomadic adventurous lifestyle,”

So, here I am, at 5:30 AM, with my new van parked just outside “my House” – –that is no longer “our home”– –

Communicating with you – – my new friends that I have not yet met– –

But look forward to meeting – –

even if only by text.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forum, 2honorHim (great name!):

I too am a nomad wannabee in Central Florida. I think you made a good decision and will have awesome adventures. Start with the basics and camp in the driveway or a campground not far from home at first. Will you have to remove seats first?

Once it's an empty canvas, you can start to play. If you already have a tiny tent, you could use that inside for privacy and bug-free ventilation until you get the window covers done.

A cooler, camp chair, small folding table, single burner stove and a cot or camp pad and a potty of some type and you will have all your basic needs. Maybe you already have some of those items or can borrow others from your house (bedding, dishpans, dishes, cooking utensils, pots and pans, etc.)

The point is, don't wait until you have the perfect build out to test the waters....go on road trips now with what you already have and maybe a few new items, which can be used later when your build is finished. Bon voyage!